U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-19-2011, 12:02 PM

316 posts, read 804,299 times

Advertisements

One of our feline family members disappeared overnight recently. We went hunting for him and saw evidence of coyotes in a vacant lot connected to our greenbelt. (They are probably very hungry given our drought.)

We are trying to keep our other cat home at night now and he is not happy about it. We have tried: putting him out during the day, exercising him when he comes home, giving him a heavy meal with protein, massaging him, petting him, snuggling him, etc. He cat naps then wants out early in the morning. He scratches at doors and carpets to get out. He complains nonstop if placed in a crate.

We don't want to give in and let him out.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2011, 03:21 PM

Location: Central Bay Area, CA as of Jan 2010...but still a proud Texan from Houston!
7,484 posts, read 9,823,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AusParent View Post
One of our feline family members disappeared overnight recently. We went hunting for him and saw evidence of coyotes in a vacant lot connected to our greenbelt. (They are probably very hungry given our drought.)

We are trying to keep our other cat home at night now and he is not happy about it. We have tried: putting him out during the day, exercising him when he comes home, giving him a heavy meal with protein, massaging him, petting him, snuggling him, etc. He cat naps then wants out early in the morning. He scratches at doors and carpets to get out. He complains nonstop if placed in a crate.

Give in or have a miserable tormented cat on your hands. Your cat has already experienced outside freedom...you will never be able to wean your cat from that desire. I had a cat that lived to be 25 years old. He had a pet door that allowed him to come and go as he pleased. Over the years that I had him he would come home wounded and I would have to lock his door to make him stay inside while he healed. Those were sleepless nights for us both. Taking away a cat's freedom is like killing his soul/spirit as well as his dignity...not to mention dulling his senses. They live to go out and hunt. It is natural for them as they are natural born hunters.

Even in his last years alive...my cat wanted to go outside every single day...I think that is why he lived to be so old. He died peacefully and naturally as well. He ate, drank and used the bathroom normally up until his death.

He was the best animal that I have ever had the privilege of sharing 25 years of my life with.

Old 10-19-2011, 05:12 PM

27,078 posts, read 9,864,974 times
I always keep mine in at night....so much can happen plus I had one go missing too. I let mine out during the day and try to wear them out, but at night they still complain....play with them as you do, bought interactive toys etc. They quieten down after awhile. I do turn on the light outside the sliding door-sometimes watching raccoons or possums or moths entertains them for a few hrs.

Quote:

Old 10-19-2011, 05:29 PM

4,862 posts, read 12,901,084 times
The "keep 'em in" chorus is lying in wait, due to pounce at any time.
But, after nonstop complaining accompanied by wallpaper tearing and outside-the-box peeing I gave in to Weasie's wish to be indoor/outdoor. She's now 19 and the same purring chatterbox as always.

However, we live on a quiet street in an urban neighborhood where turkeys have been spotted but no coyotes. The scariest run-in with wildlife Weeze has had was when a snowy owl that'd left its normal foraging range due to a mild winter thought it'd spotted a tasty morsel. One terrified feline got let into the house that night! If you're in enough of an open area to attract coyotes the odds are good that owls could be present as well, to say nothing of hawks.

My hope is that a compromise can be struck so that the surviving (face it) cat can roam by day and stay safely indoors by night.

Old 10-19-2011, 05:42 PM

7,201 posts, read 13,930,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goyguy View Post
If you're in enough of an open area to attract coyotes the odds are good that owls could be present as well, to say nothing of hawks.
Fox, both blue and red, also feast on cats when they can catch them.

Old 10-20-2011, 09:27 AM

5,080 posts, read 14,173,907 times
Our kitty door gets closed at about 5 pm.

Some of them will be already inside, and the rest will come when when they hear me call.

Usually by 5:30 everyone is in for the night.

Except for Junior, who gets special privileges, and can stay out until 7 pm.

They don't go out when it's raining either.

Except for Junior.

Old 10-20-2011, 08:40 PM

9,391 posts, read 16,982,832 times
Install some feliway plug in diffusers, put some rescue remedy in his food or water, and wait it out. Eventually he'll get used to being in at night. Better than losing another and never knowing what happened or knowing he was torn apart by coyotes.

Or build an outdoor enclosure. Make sure it's cat AND coyote proof.

I'm sorry for your loss of your other kitty. Keep in mind that your remaining cat may be grieving and wanting to look for his friend too. That, too, will pass with time.

Old 10-22-2011, 02:54 PM

316 posts, read 804,299 times
We're still trying the nightly lock down. There's a thread on our neighborhood forum about a rash of missing cats. We saw evidence of coyotes on a vacant lot when we hunted for him and neighbors report fox, owls and hawks as well. It has been so dry here for so long that predators must have slim pickings.

Thanks for all of the great ideas and for the support. We also bought a Loc8tor tracking device for the kitty. It won't protect him but it gives us a little comfort and sure is fun to use. Reviewers also report that cats often become conditioned to come home when the collar beeps.

Old 10-22-2011, 03:00 PM

7,201 posts, read 13,930,277 times
Quote:
We're still trying the nightly lock down. There's a thread on our neighborhood forum about a rash of missing cats. We saw evidence of coyotes on a vacant lot when we hunted for him and neighbors report fox, owls and hawks as well. It has been so dry here for so long that predators must have slim pickings.
Where I live we have these predators in the best of years. All of them eat or kill cats, even small dogs and young pups I was told. Those 5 to 6' black whip snakes will eat very young small kittens. Cat colonies may form, but sooner or later the predators realize they're there and wipe them out. And if no one feeds them, they die out over the winter due to starvation.

My husband made our outdoor cat pen predator proof. They're safe out there. All three are out there sleeping in the sun as I type this.

Old 10-22-2011, 03:31 PM

8 posts, read 7,562 times
Default My Cat

I keep my cat inside all the time out of safety measures only. He has been declawed and has no way of protecting himself.

Quote:

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats