Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2011, 08:20 AM

10,225 posts, read 6,311,516 times

Advertisements

My cats are brother and sister littermates adopted as kittens from a rescue shelter. They eat nothing BUT dry cat food. Since they were kittens, I must have tried every single type of canned cat food on the market today. They either smelled it and RAN away, or attempted to cover it up. I have even tried mixing the canned with dry food, but they did the same thing.

Is this good for them? I do make sure they always have a big bowl of fresh water to drink. I've had cats my entire life and never had cats that refused canned, and even "people" meats and poultry.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2011, 08:58 AM

1,758 posts, read 5,491,409 times
Joe,
Dry food is not a species appropriate diet for ANY cat. Dry is the cause of mannnnnnny medical issues and diseases in felines.
PLEASE read this info, written by a vet, that furthered her education (from the norm) concerning feline nutrition.
She also give LOTS of suggestions for way to transition dry food addicts to wet.
Feeding Your Cat: Know the Basics of Feline Nutrition :: healthy cat diet, making cat food, litter box, cat food, cat nutrition, cat urinary tract health
You can also read the PU surgery thread on here.

Old 10-27-2011, 09:23 AM

9,912 posts, read 24,648,632 times
It's been common for years to feed them this way, but it really isn't good, no. I did the same thing myself for a long time before I learned better, and then I tried a great number of things to try to get my cat to eat wet food, some more successful than others.

Some of the info suggest most cats will be more interested in the cheaper, lower-quality cans. Mine was never like that; she never liked Fancy Feast at all for example. Also, she wouldn't touch anything that was in the pate sort of form, all ground up and smooth. I did find that she would eat some chunkier stuff. So you might test that if you haven't before. And my cat is not a fan of gravy-based cans, which is the reverse of normal from what I can tell. Those are some variables you might test if you haven't looked at it that precisely before.

It can be difficult to tell what is inside the can sometimes. For textures, look for things that say "in gravy" which are usually chunky, although some say that gravy should be avoided if possible. If not gravy, then look for "gelee" or "aspic" which are still chunky but in a more gelatinous form in the can (I always break that up when I put it in the bowl). "Sliced" or "flaked" is on some cans. And then obviously you can try different types of meat, etc.

Favorite brand for my cat is called Fussie Cat, appropriately enough. Although this is not always easy to find. And most of them have fish in them, which in most cases we would recommend against having in their everyday diet.

The whole site linked above is good reading. It's a tough problem though, and I hope you have some better luck assuming you are embarking on another quest to try to get them off dry food.

Old 10-27-2011, 12:13 PM

1,758 posts, read 5,491,409 times
Sorry about all the typos and grammar errors previously! I wasn't (still am not) totally awake.

Felines (house cats, tigers, lions, etc.) are STRICT OBLIGATE CARNIVORES.
They need moisture IN their food.
Dry fed cats are almost always dehydrated.
Their teeth are designed to tear and shear...not crunch and swallow whole and partial hard chunks.

Here are a few more websites with factual and helpful info:
Feeding Your Cat: Know the Basics of Feline Nutrition :: healthy cat diet, making cat food, litter box, cat food, cat nutrition, cat urinary tract health

cat nutrition - home

www.Feline-Nutrition.org

Nutrition | Little Big Cat

CatCentric.org - CatCentric.org: A place to learn about cats and their specialized nutritional needs!

Old 10-27-2011, 01:14 PM

105 posts, read 573,542 times
My understanding is that if you only do dry cat food, they can get little crystals in their plumbing. George Carlin (of all people) mentioned this in his comedy routine, the bit about pets. Just saw it recently, FWIW.

I keep dry, indoor formula with a bowl of water in the bathroom, and then give Edward 1/2 can of canned every morning in the kitchen, also with water (distilled).

Old 10-27-2011, 01:48 PM

18,836 posts, read 37,350,704 times
Jasper is also a dry food only addict. I try to feed him wet, but he does not like it, he only licks the gravy. So, I add water to it, and he licks it all off, leaves the chunks behind. He always has fresh water.

Old 10-27-2011, 01:59 PM

2,319 posts, read 4,801,420 times
Our youngest doesn't like wet or real (chicken, salmon, etc.) as much as dry. He will eat it though. Our oldest won't mess with the dry much.

Old 10-27-2011, 02:41 PM

105 posts, read 573,542 times
This is a little off color for some people, but about 3/4 of the way through, Carlin talks about the condition of crystals in the cat's plumbing due to all-dry food:

George Carlin Pets Pt 2 - YouTube

Old 10-27-2011, 02:46 PM

5,126 posts, read 7,406,578 times
Ditto what everyone is saying. Vets have done an about-face on this. They used to say to feed all dry, and now they say to feed all wet if possible. Dry food doesn't absorb well and causes weight gain. Diabetes in cats has skyrocketed because of dry food.

Old 10-27-2011, 04:20 PM

11,798 posts, read 25,178,279 times
My 16+ year old cat is in good health, has eaten dry food all his life and absolutely refuses to eat wet food. I can put Starkist tuna down next to dry food and he'll go for the dry food. It is Hill's Prescription Diet dry food from the vet, and he just loves it. He may be an "obligate carnivore", but he doesn't know it. I don't want to get into an argument with anyone here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats