Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2011, 02:25 PM

2,029 posts, read 4,038,950 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rift View Post
I have two cats. They very rarely will go outside by themselves. If I go out the front door they will run outside with me and lurk around my legs. Sometimes they will venture off somewhere, but they are around me most of the time.

It's like they are scared to go outside by themselves. They have to have me out there with them.

My question is: How can I get them to go out alone? It is getting really annoying.

I sometimes will shut them out, but they will claw at the door until I let them back in. It gets really old.

If you insist that they go out then put a pet door in for them. This way they can come and go without bothering you.

I have to agree with the other posters...if it were up to me I'd leave them inside!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2011, 03:22 PM

5,333 posts, read 8,546,864 times
A pet door might be the solution. They will then be able to go in and out freely.

I installed a pet door a few months ago so that I could put the litter box outside on a patio. It took a while to get my elderly cat to use the door, but after he was comfortable with it (took 5 weeks), I found that he likes to go out on the patio a few times a day just on his own. He doesn't like to stay out there long - usually 10 minutes at a time, but he does go out spontaneously even when he isn't headed to the litter box.

Old 10-30-2011, 03:35 PM

5,024 posts, read 7,228,646 times
Quote:
No, I don't force my cats to go out. They want to go out. My male cat loves going out. He is always catching lizards and other things. He loves to hunt. My cats actually come and get me to take them outside. I know it sounds weird, but trust me...my cats will come find me and try to lead me outside.

I don't know it's like they want me to be there for protection and/or to watch them roll around and hunt things. It's kind of funny, but it gets really annoying. Also, my cats are very affectionate cats. They have to be with you just about everywhere you go. I love them, but they can get very annoying. They are very leachy.
Are your cats fixed or are they out making babies? Do they stay in your yard? Letting cats run around the neighborhood is as bad as letting dogs roam freely.

Old 10-30-2011, 06:36 PM

11,276 posts, read 19,580,966 times
Quote:
No, I don't force my cats to go out. They want to go out. My male cat loves going out. He is always catching lizards and other things. He loves to hunt. My cats actually come and get me to take them outside. I know it sounds weird, but trust me...my cats will come find me and try to lead me outside.

I don't know it's like they want me to be there for protection and/or to watch them roll around and hunt things. It's kind of funny, but it gets really annoying. Also, my cats are very affectionate cats. They have to be with you just about everywhere you go. I love them, but they can get very annoying. They are very leachy.
Why is it annoying? Why don't you want to spend time with your cats? Go outside with them and work in the yard or read a book for half an hour, (or bring your phone out and text people if that's what you do for fun) then take them back inside. It's quite simple, really. It's called spending time with your pets.

My cats are harness trained. I take them out and while they do their outside things (in a fenced yard) I read, or garden or do paperwork or make phone calls. Same things mostly I could do inside, but I do it out there, so the cats can have their outing. When I am ready to go in, I call them in, and we all go in.

Old 10-30-2011, 08:07 PM

213 posts, read 1,107,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by E E View Post
A pet door might be the solution. They will then be able to go in and out freely.

I installed a pet door a few months ago so that I could put the litter box outside on a patio. It took a while to get my elderly cat to use the door, but after he was comfortable with it (took 5 weeks), I found that he likes to go out on the patio a few times a day just on his own. He doesn't like to stay out there long - usually 10 minutes at a time, but he does go out spontaneously even when he isn't headed to the litter box.
I thought about a pet door, but then things can get in and out without you really knowing. Insects and other creatures you know?

Plus I don't think they would use it much. It wouldn't be worth the hassle of installing one.

Old 10-30-2011, 08:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catsmom21 View Post
Why is it annoying? Why don't you want to spend time with your cats? Go outside with them and work in the yard or read a book for half an hour, (or bring your phone out and text people if that's what you do for fun) then take them back inside. It's quite simple, really. It's called spending time with your pets.

My cats are harness trained. I take them out and while they do their outside things (in a fenced yard) I read, or garden or do paperwork or make phone calls. Same things mostly I could do inside, but I do it out there, so the cats can have their outing. When I am ready to go in, I call them in, and we all go in.
I do spend A LOT of time with my cats. Yes, I go outside and keep busy whiel they are enjoying being outside, but I can't do it all the time. I have other obligations in my life. I have to go to work and run errands at times so I can't just be at their beckon call.

But when I find time to go out with them, I do. I will work in the yard, make calls, read the paper/magazine/book, but I just can't do it everytime they want to go outside.

Old 10-30-2011, 08:12 PM

And another thing. I can't keep these cats inside. They want to be outside a good bit. They will run out the door if I open it for a split second and then look back at me wanting me to go outside with them.

They are the type of cats that need a TON of attention and need a great deal of interaction.

Old 10-30-2011, 08:42 PM

5,333 posts, read 8,546,864 times
Quote:
I thought about a pet door, but then things can get in and out without you really knowing. Insects and other creatures you know?

Plus I don't think they would use it much. It wouldn't be worth the hassle of installing one.
Once they learn how to use it, if they really like being outdoors like you say they, do, I can't imagine why they wouldn't use it.

They make panels that you insert in a sliding glass door - no major installation required. This is where I got mine: America's Finest Pet Doors | Cat Doors and Dog Doors of all Types | Manufacturer of the Award Winning "Endura Flap" Pet Doors - I would recommend this company- good customer service, quality product.

Old 10-31-2011, 07:14 AM

11,276 posts, read 19,580,966 times
Quote:
I do spend A LOT of time with my cats. Yes, I go outside and keep busy whiel they are enjoying being outside, but I can't do it all the time. I have other obligations in my life. I have to go to work and run errands at times so I can't just be at their beckon call.

But when I find time to go out with them, I do. I will work in the yard, make calls, read the paper/magazine/book, but I just can't do it everytime they want to go outside.
Quote:
And another thing. I can't keep these cats inside. They want to be outside a good bit. They will run out the door if I open it for a split second and then look back at me wanting me to go outside with them.

They are the type of cats that need a TON of attention and need a great deal of interaction.
They will get used to being inside when you aren't there or are there but not available to take them out.

Stop opening the door for them every time they ask to go out, since they don't go out unless you do. If they ask to go out, play with them for a few minutes instead. Teach them that out time is when you take them out, otherwise they stay in the house.

Take them out in a routine way. The same time every day, so they will learn that at that certain time, they will go out, with you.

Old 10-31-2011, 05:12 PM

2,888 posts, read 6,539,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by catsmom21 View Post
Stop opening the door for them every time they ask to go out, since they don't go out unless you do. If they ask to go out, play with them for a few minutes instead. Teach them that out time is when you take them out, otherwise they stay in the house.

Take them out in a routine way. The same time every day, so they will learn that at that certain time, they will go out, with you.
I agree with this method.

It's nice to know that the cats want to be outside with you. Maybe they sense danger when you aren't around - cats are pretty smart.

I prefer cats inside, based on personal experiences (losses) from letting cats out. But if you do let them out, I think catsmom21 has the best alternative.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats