U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-01-2011, 07:41 AM

2,727 posts, read 5,944,195 times

Advertisements

So I am one of the unlucky ones who is still without power after the October N'oreaster. I am staying with my mom who has power, but I have to go back to work tomorrow. I can't leave my cats here unsupervised since mine and my mom's are fighting terribly, so I was thinking of taking them back home.

My power will be out for an undetermined amount of time and as of Sunday my apartment was down to 55 degrees. Who knows how bad it is now, or how much worse it will get.

Would my cats be okay if I brought them home and left them there. (I would be there too). I would hate to keep transporting them twice a day if I stay at my mom's.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2011, 09:30 AM

18,840 posts, read 35,950,517 times
They will cuddle up, and hunker down under the down blanket, they will be fine. I usually find Jasper under the covers on chilly days.

Old 11-01-2011, 10:08 AM

6,591 posts, read 24,143,363 times
as long as there not wet or in a draft cats can withstand subzero temperatures...
they will be fine assuming your apartment isnt incredibly drafty...
give them a couple fleece blankets to snuggle into and theyll curl up getting their nose into their fur as much as possible and sleep it out.

my parents are also in ct and out of power so i feel for you i realy do...but the cats will be aboslutly fine.

Old 11-01-2011, 12:48 PM

9,912 posts, read 23,580,439 times
Guessing 55 or thereabouts should be okay for a few days. Hope it's only a few more days and you get some of the warming we're getting down here. I'm sure some cats routinely spend time outside in temps of that range and even lower so as long as there's a place to cuddle up and concentrate the body warmth (cat body temp is like 102 or something, I think) they should be fine.

They'll probably handle it better than you will. Good luck.

Old 11-02-2011, 10:20 AM

Thanks everyone. I stopped home last night and my apartment was 49* and last night was due to be really cold, so I know it will get colder in there. I didn't wanna leave them there for even 8 hours, so I left them at my mom's, in the bedroom away from her cats.

I know cats can stand temps like that for a little while, but I found it wil be more convenient to not have to transport them back and forth.

Old 11-02-2011, 10:40 AM

29,554 posts, read 22,001,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTGirlNoMore View Post
So I am one of the unlucky ones who is still without power after the October N'oreaster. I am staying with my mom who has power, but I have to go back to work tomorrow. I can't leave my cats here unsupervised since mine and my mom's are fighting terribly, so I was thinking of taking them back home.

My power will be out for an undetermined amount of time and as of Sunday my apartment was down to 55 degrees. Who knows how bad it is now, or how much worse it will get.

Would my cats be okay if I brought them home and left them there. (I would be there too). I would hate to keep transporting them twice a day if I stay at my mom's.
Sorry to hear you are going through this. I read a little on the CT board yesterday about the gas hoarding...brought back memories from Miami. Every fricken hurricane or threat of, they would do this. And when one did hit, (Katrina, Wilma, Rita), no power for a week or more truly sucked. It wasn't cold but it was HOT. Trying to cool pets down in that kind of weather is not easy.

Anyway, now I'm in Maine and I keep my house temp around 55-60. The pets are fine. (Dogs and cats.) They tend to cuddle up on the bed or couch, they have their fur coats, and they do well. Actually they seem to be more active in cooler weather. They have taken to tearing around the house at warp 5 and I just hear what sounds like Clydesdales thundering around upstairs.

I wouldn't worry about it too much. Hopefully this won't happen again in the dead of winter when the temps are even colder. I would probably start to worry if/when my house was at about 30-35 degrees. Other than that, they seem to do ok.

Old 11-02-2011, 10:42 AM

7,201 posts, read 14,146,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTGirlNoMore View Post
Your cats will be fine unless they're hairless. A normal coat will keep cats warm down to some really cold temperatures. It was in the high 30s here the other night and our cats were out in their large safe outdoor "cage" by choice. They have a cat-door to go in and out.

Old 11-02-2011, 02:53 PM

11,798 posts, read 24,239,153 times
I hope your power is restored soon, for your sake and the cats'. I've had the opposite experience here: my power was out in August when it was 100+ degrees F outside. It got up to 90 or so indoors, humid with no air moving. I lost most of the food in the fridge. Good luck!

Old 11-03-2011, 01:31 PM

Thanks for all the answers. I am happy to report that power came back sometime last night so kitties and I will be heading home.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats