U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-03-2011, 01:36 PM

17 posts, read 36,549 times

Advertisements

My 3 cats went to the vet yesterday and one of them is overweight. They are currently eating Hill's Science Diet Light dry food (2 cups per day) and 3/4 regular Hill's Science Diet can food between the three. I bought a bag of indoor Spa Select Blue Buffalo dry food yesterday to see if they liked it. I've been wanting to try a food that doesn't use by-product meats. Two of my cats started devouring the food before I could get it off the counter. The third and overweight cat wouldn't touch it. The vet recommended Hill's Science Diet M/D dry food. He is 17.8 lbs and has gained 6 oz in 6 months, so I bought a small bag and am mixing it with the former Hill's Science Diet light formula just for him. It's 45% protein and low carbohydrate, which is what the vet recommended. Does anyone have experience with Blue Buffalo, HSD M/D, or other brands they could recommend? And, do you think the M/D formula has anything comparable in protein % out there? Thanks in advance!
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2011, 05:44 PM

3,712 posts, read 10,541,820 times
M/d is the diabetic food that is high protein and lowcarb. I've got a cat on it at the moment. Actually, my vet commented that the Science Diet light really isn't intended for weight loss - it's for something else that I don't recall. he says cats don't lose weight on that food, they usually gain. I noticed that mine that I had been feeding it certainly did!! He did better and lost some on the O/m but I think he's stabilized on it now - and not losing. Oh, the m/d is the same as someone else's d/m as the diabetic food that is high protein/lowcarb.

I had tried one of the blue buffalo foods - took a lot of searching to find one that didn't have fish in it (one or two have fish sensitivities). They all loved it - but one yakked it up every time he ate it. While plenty of cats have no problems with it, I've had 2 completely different vets tell me that when someone brings a cat in to them with a vomiting problem, they always ask about the blue buffalo and most of the time that's what they were being given. Like I said: this isn't to say that it's necessarily bad - but it seems to be an 'either/or' thing, either they're fine with it or they aren't.

I have a friend who currently has I think 6 cats, and she swears that by feeding them only canned Little Friskies or Fancy Feast hers lost weight. She had been given some seriously overweight cats when some friends discovered they were allergic to them, and she got some of the weight off.

Old 11-03-2011, 07:27 PM

9,379 posts, read 16,970,113 times
Put all the cats on a canned grain free diet. In time they will all be at a healthy weight.

PS Be sure the over weight cat loses weight slowly. It is extremely dangerous for an overweight cat to lose weight too quickly. No more than 1/2 pound a month.

If you insist on sticking to dry food, get them on a grain free dry. And no adult cat needs 2 cups of dry food a day, that is way too much food. But as I said, the over weight cat needs to be reduced very slowly.

But they really would do much better on a canned diet.

Old 11-03-2011, 09:43 PM

18,842 posts, read 35,637,884 times
I don't think cats need a bowl of food all the time. I leave Jasper's bowls empty when I am gone, just water. I feed him wet food when I come home, one can of food, mixed with one can of warm water, and about a 1/4 cup of dry. That lasts him for 24-36 hours. I only feed him once a day, when I get home from work. He has not vomited more than 3 times in the last year. He eats Royal Canin dry, and Fancy Feast.

Old 11-04-2011, 08:18 AM

1,803 posts, read 2,480,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by catsmom21 View Post
Put all the cats on a canned grain free diet. In time they will all be at a healthy weight.

PS Be sure the over weight cat loses weight slowly. It is extremely dangerous for an overweight cat to lose weight too quickly. No more than 1/2 pound a month.

If you insist on sticking to dry food, get them on a grain free dry. And no adult cat needs 2 cups of dry food a day, that is way too much food. But as I said, the over weight cat needs to be reduced very slowly.

But they really would do much better on a canned diet.
i agree. 2 cups plus 3/4ths a cup is WAY too much for a single kitty. but i think the OP was saying his/her THREE cars eat that much a day.

i hope thats what s/he was getting at!

me, i feed my 2 cats purina one. its ingredients are comparable to IAMS and the other big name, super healthy stuff. they seem to enjoy it quite well. i also feed them a can of wet stuff twice a week. seems to really keep the shine in their coats and helps with shedding (dont ask me why, but they seem to shed MORE when i dont feed them wet food).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats