Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-08-2011, 06:49 AM

18,044 posts, read 15,639,191 times

Advertisements

Quote:
I don't understand how anybody can have only one cat. It seems unnatural to me.
I had a beautiful 10 yr old golden retriever and then I got a cat (rescued at 5 weeks old). Cat bonded to dog and they played. Months later my golden was diagnosed with cancer and was gone 3 months later. Now I just have the cat. And that is how one can have just one cat. I'm now unemployed and am not going to take on the expense of another animal.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2011, 07:55 AM

36,499 posts, read 54,051,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lottamoxie View Post
I had a beautiful 10 yr old golden retriever and then I got a cat (rescued at 5 weeks old). Cat bonded to dog and they played. Months later my golden was diagnosed with cancer and was gone 3 months later. Now I just have the cat. And that is how one can have just one cat. I'm now unemployed and am not going to take on the expense of another animal.

Of course, I understand. I just have always had 2 cats and I think a single cat would be lonely but we used to say that about only children, didn't we.

Old 11-08-2011, 08:50 AM

Cats are solitary creatures by nature. Properly cared for, loved, and nurtured, one cat can be very content without other cats around. My cat doesn't know any different. She looked for 'her' dog for 2 weeks or so after my dog was euthanized, and then got settled into our new configuration. Granted, my grieving lasted much longer. But this cat has not been around other cats since she was rescued and would likely not be pleased to have her territory encroached upon by any interloper, be they feline, canine or any other species.

Old 11-08-2011, 09:48 AM

11,276 posts, read 19,556,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lottamoxie View Post
Cats are solitary creatures by nature. Properly cared for, loved, and nurtured, one cat can be very content without other cats around. My cat doesn't know any different. She looked for 'her' dog for 2 weeks or so after my dog was euthanized, and then got settled into our new configuration. Granted, my grieving lasted much longer. But this cat has not been around other cats since she was rescued and would likely not be pleased to have her territory encroached upon by any interloper, be they feline, canine or any other species.

Cats are territorial by nature, not solitary. I am not disagreeing with your choice to have only one cat. Many cats are very happy to be the only.

But it is a fallacy that cats prefer to be solitary, cats are social animals.

I feel it is important to make this distinction, because so many people think if they want a "low maintenance" pet (translate, a pet they can ignore) , a cat is the perfect animal to get. This kind of thinking is very wrong, and it is the cat who suffers because of it.

Old 11-08-2011, 10:01 AM

7,201 posts, read 14,983,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
Of course, I understand. I just have always had 2 cats and I think a single cat would be lonely but we used to say that about only children, didn't we.
Only-children go to school and make friends. They go outside and play and make friends. They have friends over for sleep-overs. They join in church activities, etc. They're not lonely unless they live in and isolated area. Not so the only cat. My three are real companions to each other although I think Zephyr would be happy to be an only-cat.

This is Zephyr in our RV last month.

Old 11-08-2011, 10:06 AM

7,201 posts, read 14,983,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by catsmom21 View Post
Cats are territorial by nature, not solitary. I am not disagreeing with your choice to have only one cat. Many cats are very happy to be the only.

But it is a fallacy that cats prefer to be solitary, cats are social animals.

I feel it is important to make this distinction, because so many people think if they want a "low maintenance" pet (translate, a pet they can ignore) , a cat is the perfect animal to get. This kind of thinking is very wrong, and it is the cat who suffers because of it.
And if you read Craigslist these are the cats people are looking to get rid of. Poor lonely bored unloved animals they quickly tired of because they never developed a relationship of any kind with them. Some become destructive through boredom. Some probably through loneliness. I truly believe our Phaedra, who loves other cats, would wither and become depressed if she had to be an only-cat.

Phaedra last month on chair by the computer desk.

Old 11-08-2011, 10:31 AM

15,128 posts, read 32,307,461 times
I would love to have another indoor cat besides Snickers. He seems very content to be an only cat, but he does get along with others. I have two mouths that I feed outside that he used to live with, so I can't justify another one inside.

Luckily, I got numerous bags of Authority for $.99, so the outdoor cats are stocked up for a while.

Old 11-08-2011, 03:33 PM

Quote:
Cats are territorial by nature, not solitary.
Oops. Well I got that one word incorrect. Fortunately my cat has me at her beck 'n call, where she gets LOTS of playtime, interaction, and conversation. And when she wants to nap, she has multiple comfy places for that. So a solitary cat doesn't have to be an unhappy cat. As long as they have nurturing, love, attention, good food, clean water, and someone to boss around.

Old 11-08-2011, 03:38 PM

455 posts, read 1,238,367 times
Bellini my Ragdoll hasn't caused any damage in the house at all. He loves to play and interact with the other two cats and our dog, they all chase each other running round like lunatics.

My two moggies have damaged my house, I had to re-plaster the wall under the window. I need to fix the damage to the wall behind the sofa. They are little sods.

On the whole Bellini is a placid cat who takes things in his stride. He isn't as affectionate as I thought he would be. He will let me pick him up and cuddle him on his terms. One of my moggies is very affectionate he loves his cuddles. The other likes cuddles on his terms.

I believe that whilst pedigrees have certain traits pertaining to the breed they are individuals with their own little quirks, that we love.

Old 08-04-2012, 03:39 PM

2,427 posts, read 3,563,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suei View Post
Bellini my Ragdoll hasn't caused any damage in the house at all. He loves to play and interact with the other two cats and our dog, they all chase each other running round like lunatics.

My two moggies have damaged my house, I had to re-plaster the wall under the window. I need to fix the damage to the wall behind the sofa. They are little sods.

On the whole Bellini is a placid cat who takes things in his stride. He isn't as affectionate as I thought he would be. He will let me pick him up and cuddle him on his terms. One of my moggies is very affectionate he loves his cuddles. The other likes cuddles on his terms.

I believe that whilst pedigrees have certain traits pertaining to the breed they are individuals with their own little quirks, that we love.
I agree. It's been several months since I started this post. My Angus really doesn't have the typical traits of a ragdoll. He doesn't like to be held unless he initiates the affection. He doesn't go limp when I hold him as described. He tries to escape out the door every chance he gets. He did stop shredding the shower curtains. He's a big boy now... 16 months old.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats