Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2011, 08:29 PM

2,427 posts, read 3,563,757 times

Advertisements

I am wondering if any ragdolls owners could share with me the special characteristics of a ragdoll! My boy Angus is a holy terror. He has shred my shower curtains to shreds, got into the storage closet and knocked over jars and broke some of them (salad dressings in my carpet), jumps high to purposely knock down my berry garland from the overhead on my door, pulls houseplants out by the roots, drags toys out of my son's toyboxes, tackles our yellow lab until she moves from her orthopedic bed so that he can have it, talks continuously. Someone made a comment to me the other day, "I thought ragdolls were suppose to be docile." Sometimes, I wonder if the breeder sold me a regular cat but gave me papers stating that he's a ragdoll? He doesn't have the blue eyes that I have seen with other raggies. He's a beautiful cat though and yes I love him right to pieces.

Ooops...spelled characteristics wrong!

Last edited by tarragon; 11-05-2011 at 08:30 PM.. Reason: spelling
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2011, 09:32 PM

11,276 posts, read 19,556,099 times
You've pretty much described any kitten/young cat in general. That's what they do. Any kitten or young cat needs a ton of human interactive play time daily to be kept out of mischief.

My 16 month old cat, for instance. I was away almost 12 hours yesterday, and longer than usual today, and am very tired, so she has not had the attention from me she is accustomed to. She has just now jimmied open the kitchen cupboard that I keep latched closed to keep her out, and knocked every thing out of it. (soup cans mostly)

She has also climbed the living room curtains, but they are old and thin, so they tore and shredded and she started to fall, so she launched herself at the curtain rod, and made it.

She tightroped across the curtain rod and leaped from there to the book shelf, scattering the picture frames displayed there.

I'm not going to wait to see what she has in store for me next. Tired as I am, she is going to get a half hour of my undivided attention right now. She is accustomed to TWO half hour play sessions with me daily and has had none in two days, it is MY fault she is getting into so much mischief.

PS I keep the bathroom door shut because I don't like shredded shower curtains, which is a very common past time for kittens of any breed.

Old 11-06-2011, 07:25 AM

18,836 posts, read 37,347,105 times
That is pretty typical. My Bengal talking for an hour in the morning and an hour or so when I get home. If a person did not want a loud cat, the Bengal is NOT the cat for you. He comments on everything. Loudly! When I first got him, the constant meowing was annoying, now it is just part of my life. I can't imagine having three or more cats like this though!

My Mom rescues Ragdolls, because of their spunky personality. Every Raggie has a separate personality, but they do like to be the boss. Glad you love your cat.

Old 11-06-2011, 12:01 PM

36,499 posts, read 54,058,385 times
I have 2 nine year old male litter mates. One - Langley is rather shy around strangers and hides if somebody comes in the house. Oscar on the other hand runs to the door to greet everybody. Oscar is the original naughty cat. We cannot leave any container of liquid unwatched for even a second. He will appear from nowhere to knock it over. He loves to knock over everything while Langely is a counter cruiser but generally doesn't get into much trouble. Both are lap hounds and affectionate to a fault.

I don't understand how anybody can have only one cat. It seems unnatural to me.

Two cats are so much company for each other and they exercise each other a great deal. Sometimes they come screaming thru the den up and down the stairs and we announce "Beware of Feline Grab Ass". Then we get the 2 dogs in the mix and it is best to just sit still and wait for the riot to be over. But I wouldn't have it any other way.

BTW I always thought all ragdolls have to have blue eyes.

Old 11-06-2011, 12:10 PM

7,201 posts, read 14,983,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
That is pretty typical. My Bengal talking for an hour in the morning and an hour or so when I get home. If a person did not want a loud cat, the Bengal is NOT the cat for you. He comments on everything. Loudly! When I first got him, the constant meowing was annoying, now it is just part of my life.....
My Siamese mix Zebulon was like that when he was young and we got a kick out of it. But he talked in a low voice, not at all annoying. He made all kinds of crazy sounds. If he was awake, he was talking, mostly to himself as he played. He was a year old this Feb and he's so much less talkative now. He does most of his talking now when someone looks at or pets him, or when he begs for attention by laying on the floor and stretching out to his full length, turning his head upsidedown, chin up. He now has a modified one-arm crawl since his claws caught in the now removed runner a few months ago.

I never had a ragdoll but would love to have one join us someday. They're beautiful cats.

Old 11-06-2011, 12:20 PM

7,201 posts, read 14,983,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by catsmom21 View Post

PS I keep the bathroom door shut because I don't like shredded shower curtains, which is a very common past time for kittens of any breed.
I think all the cat furniture from the pet stores we bought when they were young saved a lot of damage from occurring in my home. I can't be positive of course. They would go totally out of their minds on the cats trees. They would run up them like real trees, claw the rope and carpeting on them, jump from one to the other. Hide in the kitty-cubes. Bat all sorts of small toys around and chase them.

They still play on the cat-trees, and play chase, tag whatever cats call their insane psychotic aerobatics.... complete with totally crazy looks on their face. Just not as often or for as long as when they were kittens. Two of the three tried curtain climbing as kittens and the rods and all came down. They didn't try that again and what really surprised me was the lace curtains, 18 years old, didn't rip or shred at all.

Old 11-06-2011, 03:05 PM

18,836 posts, read 37,347,105 times
Ragdoll - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Interesting, yes, all Ragdolls have blue eyes. My Moms cats are rescues, most have blue eyes, and Siamese markings, but she also rescues Maine Coons, and any other large cat with long fur.

Old 11-06-2011, 03:11 PM

10,016 posts, read 12,572,543 times
My ragdoll Timbit may he RIP was a very very cool cat. He was just as the breed was discribed. Laidback to an extreme. I loved him very much and really miss that cat.

Old 11-06-2011, 04:36 PM

Thanks everyone for sharing. I really do love my cat, even though at times he can be a little annoying! He's so funny, when I am around he keeps his eye on me and will follow me around more than anyone else in the house. He likes to cuddle.

As for the blue eyes, mine doesn't have blue eyes. He is a sealpoint mink. I do have papers on him. Is it possible that I have been duped?! Regardless, he is an absolutely beautiful boy and is going to be a huge cat.

Old 11-06-2011, 04:41 PM

[quote=no kudzu;21599652]I have 2 nine year old male litter mates. One - Langley is rather shy around strangers and hides if somebody comes in the house. Oscar on the other hand runs to the door to greet everybody. Oscar is the original naughty cat. We cannot leave any container of liquid unwatched for even a second. He will appear from nowhere to knock it over. He loves to knock over everything while Langely is a counter cruiser but generally doesn't get into much trouble. Both are lap hounds and affectionate to a fault.

I don't understand how anybody can have only one cat. It seems unnatural to me.

Two cats are so much company for each other and they exercise each other a great deal. Sometimes they come screaming thru the den up and down the stairs and we announce "Beware of Feline Grab Ass". Then we get the 2 dogs in the mix and it is best to just sit still and wait for the riot to be over. But I wouldn't have it any other way.

BTW I always thought all ragdolls have to have blue eyes.[/qu

Awww... I can tell you really love your cats. Angus just loves water and he is so affectionate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats