Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2011, 11:53 AM

17,526 posts, read 15,267,171 times

Advertisements

I think you found a clue already: you went from unemployed (and being around a lot) to employed and gone. Some cats are sensitive to changes in their routines. You also moved and that's new too.

And is there a reason you cannot put plastic bags away so your cat doesn't get them? I realize you have less space now, but there's got to be a way to 'kitty proof' your place better.

Ditto on the Felidae. If you can use it, then do. And spend extra playtime doing things with your cat you approve (like playing on or around a scratching post, with toys and a laser light and feather wands, etc).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2011, 11:44 PM

30,286 posts, read 51,725,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by catsmom21 View Post
I don't know about feliway and reptiles. Feliway is not the same as an "air freshener" there is no odor. But it's something you would have to look into. It would be worth looking into, in my opinion, as feliway plug in diffuser is an excellent product.

Cats are masters at hiding illness and pain, and often the only thing you have to go by is a behavior change. Since you stated that this behavior is new, it may be an indication that something is wrong in her world.
It's not really "new" - as I stated earlier, it seemed to get worse around the time I moved, which was 8 months ago (in March). She's always been a little troublemaker, though, so it's not like she went from being an angel to a devil.

Quote:
A check up for worms and an eye infection is not going to tell you if she has a urinary tract infection or some digestive issue.
She's had regular checkups since the day I rescued her, including blood work and urinalysis at her annuals... so far she's never had any health problems, aside from those two recent issues (which are now cleared up). Far as I & the vet can tell she's perfectly healthy, but I'll get more tests done at her next full checkup.

Quote:
Your defensiveness over my food question leads me to think you are feeding a food that many would consider sub par for good feline health <shrug>. Since you have read the threads on feeding, you know what cats need to be healthy.
Nope, not defensive - I've just been here long enough to know how those discussions go! I'm very well-informed (not from these threads, just from being a long-time owner who knows how to research) on feline & canine diets, and I give my pets the best I can comfortably afford. But even if I said they got 100% grain-free all-meat $5/can products, somebody here would inevitably jump in with "that's still not good enough." That is the only reason I refuse to discuss it, not because I give them crap... seriously, they eat better than I do these days! But we all have our limits, and I don't want anyone judging where I draw the line on acceptable expenses.

Quote:
Of course, it is possible that she is perfectly healthy, and that this is just who she is, and is going to be. But since you said this was new behavior, and asked for input, I gave you mine, based on my own knowledge and experience.
I do appreciate the advice and responses, and sorry if I come off as defensive... but I've been a diligent and informed pet owner since childhood, so it can get insulting when people act like you're clueless. Nobody's perfect, but I try my best to provide these animals with everything they need. So while I do take all advice to heart, sometimes asking for pet advice can lead to rather condescending replies (not necessarily from you). Know what I mean?

Old 11-06-2011, 11:57 PM

30,286 posts, read 51,725,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lottamoxie View Post
I think you found a clue already: you went from unemployed (and being around a lot) to employed and gone. Some cats are sensitive to changes in their routines. You also moved and that's new too.
Yeah, I guess it will take her some time to adjust... we've moved before, and I've had a few changes in employment in recent years, but this one might have been more "dramatic." Hopefully she'll get used to it eventually, because it's not like I can stop working for her. My hours actually might be increasing pretty soon - and if/when that happens, I'll probably hire a pet-sitter for the dog (who could also give Bindi some mid-day attention). Unfortunately I can't afford that until I get more hours, since money is already extremely tight with my current salary. The Bay Area is uber expensive, ya know??

Quote:
And is there a reason you cannot put plastic bags away so your cat doesn't get them? I realize you have less space now, but there's got to be a way to 'kitty proof' your place better.
I already said that I do put them away, and unpack (and store) all grocery/shopping bags the second I get home... but like I said above, she just finds something else to harass! I'd literally have to put everything I own in a cabinet to Bindi-proof the place, and there's no way that would be possible. I mean, I can't even have a decorative item on a bookshelf without her knocking it off! I tried to put up these cute library-related signs (I'm a librarian), and eventually gave up because she kept knocking them behind the shelf - so they're now put away, until I get around to nailing them to the wall.

Quote:
Ditto on the Felidae. If you can use it, then do. And spend extra playtime doing things with your cat you approve (like playing on or around a scratching post, with toys and a laser light and feather wands, etc).
I will definitely check into that stuff, and plan to ask my reptile forum if they're snake-safe... maybe that will calm my evil Persian too, but he's been a jerk for 11 years, so I won't hold my breath on that.

Last edited by gizmo980; 11-07-2011 at 01:11 AM..

Old 11-07-2011, 12:22 AM

21,695 posts, read 28,305,050 times
Kitties can be crazy that's for sure. I had one who chewed her fur off her inner legs and belly. I never knew why she started or why she stopped and never did it again.

My present kitty has begun chewing the fur off her tail. She also has become very clingy and does not play as she used to. A checkup revealed she has spondylosis in her back and that is probably what is bothering her. Either that or the fact that there is another cat she sees outside her window that gets her really agitated. I don't know why she hates him, she has never formally met him but cats are enigmas. Who knows why they do what they do?

Perhaps your cat is upset at the odor of a cat or dog that lived in your place before. Maybe she wants you back home 24/7.

I can't offer any better advice than you have already been given here but I will wish you the best of luck in solving your kitty-problem. Maybe as time goes by she will settle down.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats