Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2011, 10:59 AM

27,074 posts, read 11,841,613 times

Advertisements

The story: My 3 yr old Jackie is high up a TALL tree and has been there for 24 hrs now.

Tried: talking sweetly from tree base, offering his favorite smelly fishy canned food...but he will not budge. Crying a lot but not hurt.

Plan: Continue above for another day...then may need to contact fire dept (oh great )...as no house-style ladders can reach him.

OK kitty people: any other ideas for me???

Thanks for your time

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2011, 11:27 AM

10,016 posts, read 12,572,543 times
It can be a bad situation. In Toronto where there are so many racoons, treed cats are often killed by the racoons. My Siamese was stuck way up a tree and I had to guard the bottom of the tree. Four Racoons tried to get by me while I was waiting for the animal rescue service to get there.

My advice is get an animal rescue service if there is one and get that cat out of the tree without delay.

Old 11-13-2011, 11:30 AM

27,074 posts, read 11,841,613 times
Thanks...raccoons are around...

Will ck to see re rescue service-I am new to this area

Old 11-13-2011, 11:46 AM

18,836 posts, read 37,347,105 times
We had that happen one time, the fire dept came, more because my Grandmother was the county accountant and paid their checks. The fireman was up there with his ladder, the cat freaked, and jumped all 80 feet to the ground. Cat was fine. Firemen were fine.

I don't know if they will always come. They really did it as a favor.

Maybe you can call a tree trimming service, they have trucks with big ladders. And youg guys who can climb trees.

I won't be mean, and get on my "cats inside" soapbox. Proactive, instead of reactive. If you want kitty outside, get a cage for him, or a lead.

Good luck. Sorry you have all this drama to deal with.

Last edited by jasper12; 11-13-2011 at 11:49 AM.. Reason: edit

Old 11-13-2011, 01:34 PM

4,888 posts, read 13,824,184 times
Unless the tree is at a 90-degree angle to the ground all the way up, and has few sturdy branches, Jackie can and will find his way down. (Cats don't have the deeply ingrained fear of heights that some people like me have, or they wouldn't be climbers in the first place.)

I'm smiling inside as I type this. Weasie's days of shinnying onto upper-story porches and clambering into trees are many years in the past. Porches never presented a problem for her when she was ready to come back down, but trees and high fences occasionally did. She didn't so much perceive herself as stranded as she saw a chance to play damsel in distress. All I had to do when I saw that she'd gotten herself into a predicament was to stand close by and gesture to indicate a safe escape route. Invariably there were tree limbs located at manageable intervals between her and the ground, parked cars an easy jump from the top of the fence, or what have you. Encouragement was all she needed.

If encouragement fails, weather succeeds. During my childhood, the family was owned by two cats who would (suspiciously often in hindsight) wind up on the roof of our house. We lived in a 1920's Tudor-style home which had a sort of "sub-roof" extending from the main roof to below a second-story window. The kitties soon learned that they didn't have to wait for someone to appear at the front door to let them back in. Not when there was a pine tree which stood just inches away from the building. (Close-knit neighborhood, quiet no-outlet street; moralizing need not be applied.) Despite knowing full well when to hop from the tree trunk to the sub-roof, one or the other would manage to "miss the exit" from time to time and wind up atop the house. That was when the pitiful meowing would start, and ever patient Dad would don a work glove. He'd secure himself inside the window, extend a long arm, and without fail would haul the wayward beast in safely. (Strangely this never happened during his work days. ) After several years, all that changed one night. One of the cats missed the exit as a thunderstorm got underway. Due to the heavy lightning and the house's metal gutters, Dad apologized to us kids. For safety's sake the cat would have to stay stranded until the storm passed. Lo and behold - not fifteen minutes later, a chastened and thoroughly soaked feline appeared at the second-floor window. Never again did either of them go to the wrong roof. And I've read about treed - or "roofed" - cats who, after sometimes a month or more, found their way back to safety if not terra firma the same way.

But why spend hours trying to coax Jackie out of the tree, or days waiting for a good rain, if you don't have to? Unless you live in an urban area where there are lots of accidents and blazes, the fire department should be able and willing to respond quickly. The cliché about firefighters removing cats from trees is totally valid. They're trained to be rescuers, and plucking a marooned beast from a high place is no less a rescue than is carrying an unconscious (or hysterical) person down a ladder from a burning structure. Speaking of which, some of the most shared photos from a large Boston apartment-house fire last year were the ones that showed a lifeless feline being passed to a firefighter standing on the sidewalk. He immediately started resuscitating the furry victim, paying no less attention than if it'd been a person. When the meower started meowing again, after not very long, s/he was handed over to a couple standing nearby whose eyes shone with gratitude. Point being, IMHO you should contact the fire department without any hesitation. They shouldn't offer any grief once they hear Jackie has been treed for over a day. It will give them something to talk about (and probably film); plus, it's not a false alarm.

Good luck! And thanks in advance for reporting back.

Old 11-13-2011, 02:54 PM

3,712 posts, read 11,030,646 times
long ago my first cat got treed. even if we had called the fire dept, it wouldn't have done any good because they couldn't have gotten a truck back near where the tree was! She was up there for a couple of days - broke my heart because she kept calling out and I couldn't coax her down. It was a very tall, skinny pine tree - no branches low down and what there were, were to spindly for humans anyway.

My dad had a visit from a co-worker who had a daughter in my class - he had brought his daughter and younger son with him to the house. We ended nailing cross-bar 'steps' to the sturdier tree next it, while the younger son climbed up with a basket on a rope. He managed to get the cat into the basket and began to lower it - then the cat jumped out! every one fine. steps just stayed nailed on the tree I think that was the last time that cat ever went up a tree! (this was back in the day that when you lived in the country, it was more normal to let your cat out. no one kept them in. now they all stay in except if someone dashes out, then they go under the front porch <sigh>)

Old 11-13-2011, 03:08 PM

8,814 posts, read 21,271,680 times
The fire department came & rescued Mickey from a tree, but that was in the seventies & I am not sure that they would be so accomodating these days.

People may not recall what you said to them, but they will always remember how you made them feel .

Old 11-13-2011, 03:10 PM

8,814 posts, read 21,271,680 times
Speaking of which, some of the most shared photos from a large Boston apartment-house fire last year were the ones that showed a lifeless feline being passed to a firefighter standing on the sidewalk. He immediately started resuscitating the furry victim, paying no less attention than if it'd been a person. When the meower started meowing again, after not very long, s/he was handed over to a couple standing nearby whose eyes shone with gratitude. Point being, IMHO you should contact the fire department without any hesitation.

This makes me even better about moving to Boston.

People may not recall what you said to them, but they will always remember how you made them feel .

Old 11-13-2011, 03:12 PM

5,346 posts, read 9,850,819 times
I know several firefighters, you can call the non-emergency number and request their services. Unless your local department has a rule against this, they should be happy to respond quickly.

If the fire dept. won't help, you call call a tree service or anyone who would have a bucket truck.

Let us know how it turns out.

Old 11-13-2011, 03:21 PM

9,912 posts, read 24,645,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by missik999 View Post
I know several firefighters, you can call the non-emergency number and request their services. Unless your local department has a rule against this, they should be happy to respond quickly.

If the fire dept. won't help, you call call a tree service or anyone who would have a bucket truck.

Let us know how it turns out.
That's what I was going to suggest too. Why not call the fire department and see what they say? Just go "Hey, I know this is a cliche, but my cat is stuck up a tree for the last 2 days. Do you guys actually respond to this type of thing?" They may say no, but maybe they'll say sure.

Has to be a tree that's accessible for the truck, though. If not, then you'll probably need a tree service who would have someone experienced at climbing trees and the right equipment to do that safely. Most tree services can work this way because certainly not all trees are accessible by truck!

Good luck and let us know what happens.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats