Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-24-2011, 05:53 PM

1,297 posts, read 4,751,044 times

Advertisements

I have 3 cats now, all indoor. My 4th cat Little Bit left us 18 mo ago and never came back. Yesterday my wife heard meowing outside and found a little black stray about 2 mo old and he came in.

He ate the dry and wet food and found the water. Went exploring and found other food and water in another room. He uses the litterbox and has been playing with kitty toys laying around.

He sleeps near wife and I but won't let you pet him. My other furbabies hiss alittle at him/her not sure yet, but have been getting along fine.

He has been sneezing alot and has some cold noticed on his nose but eyes and everything else is good.

Will be taking him to vet for shots etc. in couple days. Will update later.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2011, 06:19 AM

2,091 posts, read 2,978,105 times
Oh, how sweet. Thank you for giving him a home. By all means, keep us posted. And yes, get him to the vet.

Old 11-25-2011, 08:16 AM

3,712 posts, read 10,984,906 times
that's wonderful, and very sweet. too late at this point in your case, but for anyone else... please, it's great and fabulous to take in the cats, but please keep them separate from current cats until they've been FIV/FeLuk tested! I had a friend who had a young cat that was fine, but then she took in a stray kitten and mixed them before testing.. yep, the new kitten was positive! and it shed to the other cat. She lost both in 2.5 years. If she had known the new one was positive, she would have made sure the other was properly up on his vaccinations first. might have turned out differently. They were both adorable, but..

Glad you took the sweetie in, hope the sneezing isn't anything important.

Old 11-28-2011, 03:02 PM

970 posts, read 2,203,691 times
For future reference I would not allow a stray inside without a vet checkup first. They could have FIV/FeLuk as another poster stated. We rescued a stray kitten this year but she did not come anywhere near my cat until being checked out.

Old 11-28-2011, 06:13 PM

1,188 posts, read 5,518,979 times
We all learn through personal experience to do what is needed the "nest" time...with that said, thank you and your wife for your kind hearts. It's always so refreshing and rejuvenating to me to hear of others who simply do the right thing.

Please keep us posted. Your little one may have a mild upper respiratory issue.

I'd like to share a beautiful quote I like to remind myself of:

“Never, never be afraid to do what's right, especially if the well-being of a person or animal is at stake. Society's punishments are small compared to the wounds we inflict on our soul when we look the other way.”
Martin Luther King Jr.

Old 11-29-2011, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigg Mann View Post
I have 3 cats now, all indoor. My 4th cat Little Bit left us 18 mo ago and never came back. Yesterday my wife heard meowing outside and found a little black stray about 2 mo old and he came in.

He ate the dry and wet food and found the water. Went exploring and found other food and water in another room. He uses the litterbox and has been playing with kitty toys laying around.

He sleeps near wife and I but won't let you pet him. My other furbabies hiss alittle at him/her not sure yet, but have been getting along fine.

He has been sneezing alot and has some cold noticed on his nose but eyes and everything else is good.

Will be taking him to vet for shots etc. in couple days. Will update later.

We have an appointment at the Vet Thursday. Kitty is a female and wife named her Lola. My 3 yr old Baby Kitty is not hissing anymore and they are playing together. Right now as I am typing Baby came thru keyboard and Lola was right behind him.

She sleeps in bedroom in a cat condo and when up has knocked the toy box over and plays with all the toys, scattered thru house. I like to think she might be offspring of Little Bit who ran away. She has some mannerisms like he did.

She has to be 6 mo old to get fixed. Will let you know after Thursdays appointment.

Old 11-30-2011, 04:57 AM

4,696 posts, read 7,856,687 times
This is so nice to read! After all the sad stories that I hear about animals.
I have taken in stray cats and usually get them to a vet as soon as I can.
I have not had any problems, yet.

Old 12-02-2011, 10:44 AM

UPDATE!!

I took stray kitty, Lola, to vet Thursday and she has a cold. Her temp was 103.5 and normal is 102.0 and her weight was 2.5 lbs and 2 mo. old.

Lungs were clear and in pretty good health. Got her dewormed and on antibiotic for 1 week and will go back 12-08-11 for check up on illness and will get shots if feeling better.

Total bill was 56.00 and shots in week will be 35.00. At that time I will prepay 80.00 for a kitten program over a period of time and save 35.00 over the period.

Plan on same type of program for older cats.

She is sleeping now after playing and running earlier and is zonked now.

More in a week.

Old 12-02-2011, 05:31 PM

2,888 posts, read 6,508,015 times
Bigg Mann, Little Lola - what a beautiful picture I have in my head.

Old 12-02-2011, 10:03 PM

3,712 posts, read 10,984,906 times
great to hear she's on the antibiotics and doing well. She's feLuk & FIV negative, yes? sounds lovely - I'm sure she's very happy to be indoors now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats