Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-24-2014, 07:16 PM

12 posts, read 14,259 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gulmeena View Post
I do not like these kinds of vets . They do not listen to you and do whatever they like while not comprehending the issue. Just never go this type of vet again . They just irritate me.
I think you've had some very negative experiences. That is a shame. But I promise, we are not all bad. I wish I could personally win you over! I love customer service and pets and my clients!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-24-2014, 07:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catdad7x View Post
I totally agree with that. My vet has always allowed me to stay with my cats & dog (RIP) during exams and most of the run-of-the-mill procedures. I'm good at keeping a calm demeanor and helping to keep my cats stress level down, and my vet may see that as a plus. I think he treats most of his clients the same way. Usually if a more involved procedure or surgery is required, he will say 'leave them, and we'll call you when to come & pick them up', and that's fine.
My vet recently took time off for surgery, and had a replacement vet (from another practice) fill in for him. During this time one of my cats developed a limp & I took her out there to get checked out. This vet took her to the back exam room, and hinted that I should wait in the front office. I knew they weren't going to draw blood, give shots, or doing anything invasive, so I didn't argue with her and went along with it. Soon after this my regular vet was back on the job, so I didn't have to deal with the new vet again. If she had become my permanent vet, she would have had to agree to let me stay with cats during exams, or she would not be getting my business.... period, end of conversation.
I wish more fur parents were like you guys, and remainded cool and composed when auditing an unpleasant procedure. You are so valuable to us as clients and tend to be the ones that follow medical advive to a "t". We love you for that, and welcome you without hesitation into treatment rooms.

It can just be scary. We use muzzles, kitty burritos, and restraint. Sometimes our patients scream and howl in fear at the slightest touch. It can be a shock.

But like I said. I know you just care. It's not about me. You love your baby and I will never judge, only support you.

Old 12-25-2014, 01:35 PM

9,127 posts, read 9,383,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chewydog View Post
I wish more fur parents were like you guys, and remainded cool and composed when auditing an unpleasant procedure. You are so valuable to us as clients and tend to be the ones that follow medical advive to a "t". We love you for that, and welcome you without hesitation into treatment rooms.

It can just be scary. We use muzzles, kitty burritos, and restraint. Sometimes our patients scream and howl in fear at the slightest touch. It can be a shock.

But like I said. I know you just care. It's not about me. You love your baby and I will never judge, only support you.
I can certainly understand that if a pet parent becomes upset and distraught in the exam room, it can be a problem and can cause a difficult situation to become even worse. I wouldn't fault a vet for making them stay out of the room. You have to be able to do your job.
Out of all the many times I've taken my cats to vet, there was only one where I started to get a bit upset with what was going, but it really wasn't the vet's fault and I kept a lid on it. They were doing a blood draw on my old girl Misty, and because of a small mouth tumor (the reason she was there) she wasn't feeling good and not taking any BS from anyone. She had been fine during previous visits, but that time they had to use the 'bag' because she was struggling too much. They kept her encased in the restraint while the blood test was done (about a half hour), and then came in to say they had to draw more blood because the first sample didn't 'take' for some reason. Had to do it all again, and in the end, poor Misty was in that bag for well over an hour... growling & yowling the whole time. I stayed with her but it didn't help calm her very much. I felt so sorry for her having to be restrained for so long, but it had to be done.
I can imagine that some pet parents would have been raising he!! over it. It was almost too much even for me.

Old 12-25-2014, 07:18 PM

30,274 posts, read 23,756,971 times
Unless my pet is getting an x-ray, or is being taken in to the back for surgery, then my pet can stay in that exam room with me, where I can see what is being done. Do parents allow their kids to be taken "in to the back" out of site of them at the doctor's office? Not unless absolutely necessary. So why would anyone expect a pet owner to feel any differently?

I would find another vet.

Old 12-26-2014, 08:16 AM

4,620 posts, read 14,994,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chewydog View Post
I agree 100% that if a pet parent requests that they be present that the doctor should absolutely accommodate, and in no way should they be made to feel poorly for doing so. There truely is nothing to hide back there...well there shouldn't be. I truley do understand that the owner is just conerned for their fur baby.

I jut wanted to assure people that this is normal practice and was being silly and sarcastic. I've been a lurker and finally got brave enough to join in...so...

Hi everyone!
Welcome Chewydog ... glad you gave up lurker-mode :-)

Old 12-31-2014, 08:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mawipafl View Post
Welcome Chewydog ... glad you gave up lurker-mode :-)
Thanks!!!

Old 01-02-2015, 09:15 AM

20,398 posts, read 14,683,356 times
I love my vet on 99% of our interactions and things about them.

They are not a chain, but a family country vet.

They are openminded about things like nutrition and willing to engage in conversations and continuing research & education. They acknowledge the importance of diet and the first question they ask a new pet owner is "What are you feeding him?"

They let me be in the room for routine stuff with my cat...which means a lot because he is very fearful, and anyone/anything familiar to him is a comfort to him. He will often stand shivering on the table with his face pressed into my stomach while a vet administers a shot or something. At least I feel as though my presence is a comfort.

My only complaint has been the Flovent issue. They don't want to prescribe it because it's "too expensive" and they tried a number of cheaper but ineffective things to treat the cat's asthma. My son is outgrowing his asthma which was never severe to begin with and we've been sharing his daily dose of Flovent with the cat...and it's actually working. It's a very low dose though, lower than what the cat should probably have. He still has rare attacks. I don't understand why the vet refuses to prescribe something if I'm willing and able to pay for it. I'm not asking the vet to pay for it. But they have really dug their heels in over this. They don't say it's dangerous or ineffective or anything, just cringe and say "that's so expensive." It's annoying.

Old 01-02-2015, 10:30 AM

21,695 posts, read 28,464,536 times
The absolute worst veterinary hospital I ever went to a very long time ago would not allow me in the room when they euthanized a kitty of mine. It was the first kitty I ever had to request put down. She was very ill from feline leukemia and there was nothing more to be done to save her.

I didn't know at the time that most vets give the pet owner a choice so when they told me I couldn't be there I just accepted it. I would never, ever allow that to happen today. I have had cats since then and have been present at their leaving this world each time it had to be done.

Old 01-02-2015, 03:21 PM

9,127 posts, read 9,383,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minervah View Post
The absolute worst veterinary hospital I ever went to a very long time ago would not allow me in the room when they euthanized a kitty of mine. It was the first kitty I ever had to request put down. She was very ill from feline leukemia and there was nothing more to be done to save her.

I didn't know at the time that most vets give the pet owner a choice so when they told me I couldn't be there I just accepted it. I would never, ever allow that to happen today. I have had cats since then and have been present at their leaving this world each time it had to be done.
That's inexcusable. What possible reason could a vets office have for doing that? Even if it's violating a 'clinic rule' (or whatever), what harm is caused by making an exception for PTS?
Sorry you had that happen to you.

Old 01-02-2015, 03:58 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,464,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by catdad7x View Post
That's inexcusable. What possible reason could a vets office have for doing that? Even if it's violating a 'clinic rule' (or whatever), what harm is caused by making an exception for PTS?
Sorry you had that happen to you.
Thank you. As I mentioned, it was a long time ago back in the early 80's. They didn't even have the feline leukemia immunization shots yet. I don't even know if they are still in business. I still feel sad when I think that she was the only kitty I was never there for at the time of her death. I got my screen name, Minerva, which is a tribute to her because it was her name. The "H" on the end is because I needed one more letter. Ir's the first letter of my last name.

I think it's a little remembrance of her now because I could not be there for her then.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats