Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-06-2011, 07:15 PM

3,513 posts, read 6,376,409 times

Advertisements

She tends to catch them alive outside and bring them in to play with, gets bored after a few minutes and lets them go. ALIVE. Or if they find their way in to the house, as they do each year when the weather turns cold she ignores them.

So tonight I gave up waiting for her to deal with them and set a trap. About an hour later I heard the snap as one went after the peanut butter.

If I put the mouse in her food dish do you think she would take the hint?

Knowing her she'd most likely take it out of her bowl and bring it to me in my bed in the middle of the night.

Rather than risk waking up with it in my face I'll just dispose of it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2011, 07:36 AM

18,082 posts, read 15,664,302 times
yuck!

This is one of many reasons my cat is an indoor-only cat. The only presents I want are those that might come from Tiffany.

The only way to keep your cat from bringing in live bait/future roadkill is to contain your cat so that s/he can't hunt.

Old 12-07-2011, 12:44 PM

18,836 posts, read 37,360,870 times
Mickey would just watch mice, watch them run, once in awhile he would stare intently at one, willing it to run close enough to him, for him to put his paw out...

Monkey would catch live mice, and put them in "safe" places, like a shoe, or a boot. Don't ask...

Boots used to catch mice, and pile them next to the door. He was an outdoor only kitty.

Old 12-07-2011, 06:11 PM

3,605 posts, read 9,058,713 times
Kiwi used to bring mice in and slaughter them in the bathtub. She would "play" with them and then slam them against the side of the tub to kill them. I won't even go into what she did to a bird in the bathroom.

Mezzi and Olivia would bring them in and let them go under the dining room table, so they could stalk them from in between the chair legs. The lucky ones died from a heart attack before the Siamese finished torturing them.

Old 12-08-2011, 06:46 AM

1,457 posts, read 4,054,865 times
All I have to say is I'm so glad my cats don't go outside. I couldn't deal with that, or I should say I wouldn't be able to sleep. Good luck!

Old 12-08-2011, 08:57 AM

3,513 posts, read 6,376,409 times
Well she actually caught one last evening. I heard a ruckus in the kitchen and by the time I got in there she has captured a tiny field mouse and was in the process of consuming it. I wish I knew where they are getting in so I could try and close it off. I suspect there are several places in the crawlspace that are not mouse proof. I can not go under there myself because several years ago a guy doing some work for me encountered a black snake and there is no way I'm taking that risk.

She spends most of her time indoors. When the weather is nice and I have the back door open so that the many dogs can go in and out as they choose she will sometimes go out to the covered porch and hang out on the railing in the sun or venture as far as the patio just off the porch and lay about on the table or one of the chairs for an hour or two.

Old 12-08-2011, 01:51 PM

18,836 posts, read 37,360,870 times
Don't kiss kitty on the lips. I don't think cats can get any fleas from mice. You might want to get an exterminator, some people got this horrible disease from having mice in their homes here, called "Hantavirus" Hantavirus - PubMed Health

Old 12-08-2011, 01:58 PM

7,329 posts, read 16,424,313 times
I think hantavirus is pretty much confined to the Western states though. Something to think about, but in Virginia I think your risk would be very low.

Old 12-08-2011, 11:38 PM

11,798 posts, read 25,185,132 times
zugor: She likely is proud of her prowess and wants to make sure you know about her skill, and may want you to share the 'fun' of 'playing' with the mouse as well. Maybe she thinks of you as a big dumb kitten that needs to be trained! Cats will be cats.

Old 12-09-2011, 01:25 PM

7,201 posts, read 14,991,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flkingfan View Post
All I have to say is I'm so glad my cats don't go outside. I couldn't deal with that, or I should say I wouldn't be able to sleep. Good luck!
Amen! I couldn't handle watching my cats torture mice and birds. Those little creatures can feel fear and pain and don't deserve to die like that, especially birds.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats