Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2011, 02:11 PM

4,056 posts, read 2,135,556 times

Advertisements

I like my cat's vet, but there were a few things that seemed odd to me today when I brought in my 18+ yo cat for his annual visit.

He hates being at the vet. While he was hissing and trying to bite the tech and vet as they worked with him, I was standing off to the side and just called softly to him, telling him it was okay. The vet said she had just attended a behavior seminar that said that cats should not be spoken to while being examined because the extra auditory stimulation would just stress them more. Has anyone ever heard this?

Then she talked about her three cats were all sick from a cold she gave them. I thought viruses don't transmit between humans and animals.

Finally, she had a book of photos of cats....all of them painted! Painted with designs, like fish swimming all over them. I have tried to Google painted cats and I think this may be a joke. The cats maybe weren't really painted---the photos may be doctored with Photoshop. But I think some people really do paint dogs. And since there are some crazy people out there, I don't know why she would want to encourage anyone to paint a cat!

Other than these three "issues," she's a great vet.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2011, 03:33 PM

2,873 posts, read 5,851,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzcat22 View Post
I like my cat's vet, but there were a few things that seemed odd to me today when I brought in my 18+ yo cat for his annual visit.

He hates being at the vet. While he was hissing and trying to bite the tech and vet as they worked with him, I was standing off to the side and just called softly to him, telling him it was okay. The vet said she had just attended a behavior seminar that said that cats should not be spoken to while being examined because the extra auditory stimulation would just stress them more. Has anyone ever heard this?

Then she talked about her three cats were all sick from a cold she gave them. I thought viruses don't transmit between humans and animals.

Finally, she had a book of photos of cats....all of them painted! Painted with designs, like fish swimming all over them. I have tried to Google painted cats and I think this may be a joke. The cats maybe weren't really painted---the photos may be doctored with Photoshop. But I think some people really do paint dogs. And since there are some crazy people out there, I don't know why she would want to encourage anyone to paint a cat!

The book is definitely photoshopped. Pics from it used to make the rounds online (much like the old website bonsai kitten) So no worries there. People who do paint dogs use food dye, so it's perfectly safe (if odd) I don't see anything wrong with her having the book- the chances of someone actually trying to paint their cat are vanishingly low.

I've never heard anything about not speaking to your cat- so long, of course, as you aren't shouting or being shrill. I talk to JJ at the vet and it helps him stay calm. Your vet did say this is something she recently heard, so it might be some new theory though.

She might have meant she brought a virus home with her- I've done this with JJ just by looking at the cats in the Petsmart adoption center, and I did it when I was a tech. You can bring home resp. infections on your clothes. But no, commonly you can't pass a virus to your cat (though you actually can to your ferret!)

Old 12-28-2011, 03:35 PM

2,873 posts, read 5,851,886 times
Here's the book, btw...Amazon.com: Why Paint Cats: The Ethics of Feline Aesthetics (9781580082716): Burton Silver, Heather Busch: Books

It's a spoof off a book called "Why Cats Paint"

Old 12-28-2011, 03:37 PM

6,591 posts, read 24,860,312 times
the human "cold" doesnt transmit...nor do upper respitory infections, "Flue" or viruses..
i think id be a little concerend about any vet or tech saying their cats caught colds from the human...

the not talking to the cat during an exam, ive dealt with all trains of thought on the matter...
my personal belife is EVERY animal is different. ive dealt with cats who do beter with NO interation from the human, ive dealt with cats who actually do get more riled up when they ehar their owners talking.
but ive also met pets who do BETTER when the owner encourages, talks to their pet ect...

the painted cats thing. ive seen artwork that could definatly fit the description, all digitally done...probably the same thing.

the last 2 issues i woudlnt think about much lol.

but the whole "my cats caught a cold form me" thing would have me a tad worried.

SOME viruses ect are zoonotic (transferable) ie avian flu, rabies, ect...
but your correct, most are not and the human flu/cat flu colds and upper respitory infections are not zoonotic.

Old 12-28-2011, 03:51 PM

93 posts, read 212,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzcat22 View Post

We have a very disturbed, emotional and sensitive cat. After a couple of years, she does allow us to hold her for a minute or two, but if we talk to her while we are holding her, it stresses her out more. So no, I have not heard anyone else but you say this about it being an extra stressor to examine and hold the cat at the same time, I have noticed that my sensitive cat can not tolerate the talking at the same time as being held. I think your vet is correct.

Good luck with your cat!

Old 12-28-2011, 04:50 PM

11,276 posts, read 19,576,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thereandbacktwotimes View Post
We have a very disturbed, emotional and sensitive cat. After a couple of years, she does allow us to hold her for a minute or two, but if we talk to her while we are holding her, it stresses her out more. So no, I have not heard anyone else but you say this about it being an extra stressor to examine and hold the cat at the same time, I have noticed that my sensitive cat can not tolerate the talking at the same time as being held. I think your vet is correct.

Good luck with your cat!
I think things like talking to the cat should be considered on a cat to cat basis. My cats prefer me to be there with them, holding them and talking to them, while at the vet.

It's good if a vet is attending informational seminars and discussing what she has learned with you, as long as it IS a discussion, and not her just telling you things as incontrovertible FACT.

And I agree with the others, humans can not give their pets the common cold. But it's possible she meant she brought a virus home from the hospital. However I question her hygiene, if that is the case, and would be very concerned about what she might be passing on to MY cats.

As for the painted cats thing. Ugh. I hate that kind of stuff and would not be entertained by it, and would have said so, but I guess that is a matter of ...(or lack of)......taste.

Old 12-28-2011, 07:11 PM

9,912 posts, read 24,657,658 times
My vet encourages us to be the ones to hold her during a shot or blood draw, as opposed to having his tech come in and do that. Usually works okay, though I remember when she swiped the poor vet the one time, nasty little scratch. (I'm sure par for the course, but still, you can't help but wish that wasn't your cat hurting the guy!) I don't know about talking; my habit is to talk to the cat quite a lot in all scenarios including the vet but I can't confirm that it helps. I don't think that it hurts, but I can't confirm that either.

Old 12-28-2011, 07:29 PM

4,056 posts, read 2,135,556 times
Greg---a kindred soul who talks to his cat! I was so surprised to hear that this was detrimental.

My husband agrees with y'all---that the vet was saying she brought home viruses that were transmitted to the cats. Good point, catsmom, about the hygiene if there was cross contamination.

Thereandback, good for you for coping with and loving a "very emotional, sensitive, and disturbed cat."

I feel better that people don't really paint cats (at least that we know of!).

Not the best vet visit, all in all today. Of course I knew that Tang's life expectancy is just about up---he's 18 1/2, so he's had a good run, even with some inflammatory bowel disease, obesity, and some male urinary tract problems. Was told that he is probably hyperthyroid, but at this point, will just keep a watchful eye on him. I still think he has a fairly good quality of life even though he is ancient. When he stops eating and never wants to be cuddled or brushed, then that's a different story...

Old 12-28-2011, 07:31 PM

18,836 posts, read 37,364,053 times
Yet another reason why Jasper is "vet" free. He is an only, indoor cat, and he had shots before I got him.

I can see that your voice would stress the cat, especially because you were not holding the cat.

I think that "cat" art is sort of cool...

As for the vet telling you or your cat about the cold...I don't know. Whatever.

Jasper agrees, he does not need to go to the vet.

Old 12-28-2011, 08:24 PM

93 posts, read 212,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by catsmom21 View Post
I think things like talking to the cat should be considered on a cat to cat basis. My cats prefer me to be there with them, holding them and talking to them, while at the vet.

It's good if a vet is attending informational seminars and discussing what she has learned with you, as long as it IS a discussion, and not her just telling you things as incontrovertible FACT.

And I agree with the others, humans can not give their pets the common cold. But it's possible she meant she brought a virus home from the hospital. However I question her hygiene, if that is the case, and would be very concerned about what she might be passing on to MY cats.

As for the painted cats thing. Ugh. I hate that kind of stuff and would not be entertained by it, and would have said so, but I guess that is a matter of ...(or lack of)......taste.
As far as things like talking to the cat to be determined on an individual basis, I totally agree. We have another cat that we have had since he was a wee one and he is totally laid back and we can do anything we want with him and probably even more. lol

Kudos and points to all who responded to this thread!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats