Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2012, 06:48 AM

7,487 posts, read 7,156,393 times

Advertisements

Interesting, I was just looking at the Soulistic website and the nutritional value seems comparable, especially the calories.

Anyone else familiar with Soulistic?

Quote:
Originally Posted by greg42 View Post
Should have mentioned before, I think you can get a very similar if not identical product at Petco under the Soulistic brand at probably somewhat less markup. They are known to be made in the same plant by the same folks. I haven't personally verified this directly, but others have checked up at least on the common lineage somewhat, and I have bought both brands and can attest to the similarity at least on the surface that way (appearance-wise, etc).

Last edited by movin2Reston; 01-03-2012 at 07:07 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2012, 02:38 PM

1,758 posts, read 5,490,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movin2Reston View Post
Interesting, I was just looking at the Soulistic website and the nutritional value seems comparable, especially the calories.

Anyone else familiar with Soulistic?
Soulistic is made by the same folks that mfg. Weruva.
It is only sold at PetCo.

They also make Best Feline Friend.

Old 01-03-2012, 03:30 PM

Is Weruva a step up in quality from Soulistic or what explains for the price difference between the two?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lola4 View Post
Soulistic is made by the same folks that mfg. Weruva.
It is only sold at PetCo.

They also make Best Feline Friend.

Old 01-03-2012, 05:20 PM

9,912 posts, read 24,645,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movin2Reston View Post
Is Weruva a step up in quality from Soulistic or what explains for the price difference between the two?
I think just buying power. Petco commits to a lot of units and thus not only gets a discount but also their own labeling making the branding "exclusive" to their stores. Weruva's own brand is mostly sold in smaller independent stores or small chains. They don't buy as much at a time or in a year or whatever so they don't get as good of a price. (Some small stores are likely to have a higher markup from cost anyway, even if cost were the same for both places.) So there is plenty of room for the Soulistic product to be identical quality and cost less.

So I don't think Weruva is a step up in quality really at all. I think they put pretty much the same quality in all those cans. BFF, well, the ingredients should still be same quality but the texture and how it's processed are different, and the main ingredient in each BFF variety is tuna which is the real key to keeping the cost of that line lower I suspect. The plant in Thailand where they can the food also cans human food (probably mainly tuna but I don't really know what all they produce there) and they claim to be meeting all the same human standards with the pet food. This is not an unreasonable claim because arguably the plant can't just drop standards because the canning line has pet food on it at the moment. It's easier to keep it all to the same high standard.

Old 01-03-2012, 05:49 PM

In my area, Soulistic is $1.25 while Weruva is $1.80 for 5.5oz cans.

Seems the 5.5oz cans of Soulistic are about 10 calories more per can?

Quote:
I think just buying power. Petco commits to a lot of units and thus not only gets a discount but also their own labeling making the branding "exclusive" to their stores. Weruva's own brand is mostly sold in smaller independent stores or small chains. They don't buy as much at a time or in a year or whatever so they don't get as good of a price. (Some small stores are likely to have a higher markup from cost anyway, even if cost were the same for both places.) So there is plenty of room for the Soulistic product to be identical quality and cost less.

So I don't think Weruva is a step up in quality really at all. I think they put pretty much the same quality in all those cans. BFF, well, the ingredients should still be same quality but the texture and how it's processed are different, and the main ingredient in each BFF variety is tuna which is the real key to keeping the cost of that line lower I suspect. The plant in Thailand where they can the food also cans human food (probably mainly tuna but I don't really know what all they produce there) and they claim to be meeting all the same human standards with the pet food. This is not an unreasonable claim because arguably the plant can't just drop standards because the canning line has pet food on it at the moment. It's easier to keep it all to the same high standard.

Old 01-03-2012, 06:55 PM

18,042 posts, read 15,639,191 times
I'm going to try Weruva and see how my cat responds to it. I found a local contact who is going to get me several samples of the food to try. :-)

Old 01-03-2012, 07:05 PM

9,912 posts, read 24,645,588 times
The formulas might be a bit different here and there, but I was addressing the idea that the quality would be, such as ingredients, etc, I don't think that is. For example, I know one of the Soulistic cans is chicken with pumpkin. I don't recall Weruva having one quite like that, although maybe I just don't remember all the varieties. Water content could be different; you should be able to see that right on the can. And so on. More calories is probably good! Or, it could be older batch vs newer batch where they changed the makeup of what's in there a bit.

I'm not sure you can pick up a can of Soulistic and find an identical match can of Weruva. I really never looked at it that way. But these foods do come from the same manufacturer with the same standards.

$1.25 vs $1.80 does seem a big difference, but it's actually not super surprising. With the private labeling, for example, Petco does not gain anything useful out of Weruva's promotion of the Weruva brand. So this would have to mean an even bigger discount from the manufacturer to Petco, which Petco can choose to pass some portion along to the customer. Pet Food Direct sells Weruva 5.5oz for about $1.67, so there can be some wiggle room on that side as well. The cost of manufacturing is likely to be similar if not the same. The reason Weruva would make such a deal with Petco at a lower cost is because that provides a large stable income. They would actually make more money on each can of Weruva, but they (apparently) choose to sacrifice some of that in favor of having a large customer providing some stability. Very common business practice I would think.

Even though it's largely the same doesn't mean your cat will eat it though; that is always the final test. BTW Movin2Reston, the texture of the Weruva/Soulistic food is totally different than your initial question foods. Weruva is chunky. Chicken is what appears to be shreds of chicken breast, etc. It's not all ground up into an even consistency pate sort of goop. Some cats eat either texture, but some cats prefer one over the other.

Old 01-03-2012, 07:48 PM

Sounds like the Funky Chunky Chicken Soup?

Is pumpkin effective for hair balls?

It seems like Soulistic only comes in 2 chicken types while the others are with chicken and others things such as tuna, etc.

As for the texture, so far it seems I have one who prefers the pate while the other likes pate or chunky style.

Quote:
The formulas might be a bit different here and there, but I was addressing the idea that the quality would be, such as ingredients, etc, I don't think that is. For example, I know one of the Soulistic cans is chicken with pumpkin. I don't recall Weruva having one quite like that, although maybe I just don't remember all the varieties. Water content could be different; you should be able to see that right on the can. And so on. More calories is probably good! Or, it could be older batch vs newer batch where they changed the makeup of what's in there a bit.

I'm not sure you can pick up a can of Soulistic and find an identical match can of Weruva. I really never looked at it that way. But these foods do come from the same manufacturer with the same standards.

$1.25 vs $1.80 does seem a big difference, but it's actually not super surprising. With the private labeling, for example, Petco does not gain anything useful out of Weruva's promotion of the Weruva brand. So this would have to mean an even bigger discount from the manufacturer to Petco, which Petco can choose to pass some portion along to the customer. Pet Food Direct sells Weruva 5.5oz for about $1.67, so there can be some wiggle room on that side as well. The cost of manufacturing is likely to be similar if not the same. The reason Weruva would make such a deal with Petco at a lower cost is because that provides a large stable income. They would actually make more money on each can of Weruva, but they (apparently) choose to sacrifice some of that in favor of having a large customer providing some stability. Very common business practice I would think.

Even though it's largely the same doesn't mean your cat will eat it though; that is always the final test. BTW Movin2Reston, the texture of the Weruva/Soulistic food is totally different than your initial question foods. Weruva is chunky. Chicken is what appears to be shreds of chicken breast, etc. It's not all ground up into an even consistency pate sort of goop. Some cats eat either texture, but some cats prefer one over the other.

Old 01-03-2012, 09:12 PM

18,042 posts, read 15,639,191 times
Pumpkin (plain, canned) is supposed to be good for a variety of GI issues including constipation, diarrhea, hair balls. Good source of fiber, some cats really like it (not mine, of course).

1 - 2 tbsps a day is supposed the general guideline, mixed in with food if your cat is eating wet and likes pumpkin.

I smear pumpkin on my cat's mouth to get her to eat it because she won't touch her food if it's mixed in. She always licks it off and doesn't seem too bent out of shape afterwards.

Old 01-04-2012, 06:09 AM

11,276 posts, read 19,556,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lottamoxie View Post
Pumpkin (plain, canned) is supposed to be good for a variety of GI issues including constipation, diarrhea, hair balls. Good source of fiber, some cats really like it (not mine, of course).

1 - 2 tbsps a day is supposed the general guideline, mixed in with food if your cat is eating wet and likes pumpkin.

I smear pumpkin on my cat's mouth to get her to eat it because she won't touch her food if it's mixed in. She always licks it off and doesn't seem too bent out of shape afterwards.
I have put my girl with chronic constipation issues on pumpkin. (pure canned stuff) She's the only cat I have ever had who would eat it but I am thrilled that she does, because it has solved her problem.

She gets 1/2 tablespoon twice a day, mixed in a meal (1/8 - 1/4 can plus a little water) She is the one who eats a rotation of mostly Before Grain, with Weruva and Soulistic, and an occasional can of wellness thrown in.

The pumpkin has changed her life! She has become three times as active and playful, and, without me changing the amount of food she gets every day, she has slimmed down, and looks very fit and trim. No more straining in the litter box! I don't even have to give her hairball remedy any more, ever. (which she loathed, so I am really glad)

I'm so happy about it!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats