U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 12-29-2011, 03:08 PM
 
5,742 posts, read 4,681,397 times
Reputation: 2309

Advertisements

Would appreciate feedback on whether anyone would hesitate on transition their cat from dry to canned food? Is it better for them? Helps control the weight better on indoor cats?

As for type, how does Wellness compare to Natural Balance; specifically, the Indoor Ultra Formula of Natural Balance, what makes it an "indoor" formula?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 12-29-2011, 08:01 PM
 
Location: Monadnock region
3,712 posts, read 10,415,445 times
Reputation: 2462
most research shows that cats do much better on wet than dry food - the ingredients are often better in the wet (more meat, no grain) and being wet, it provides more water than they get otherwise, since it is felt that cats don't drink enough on their own. There are a few articles on nutrition by Dr Lisa Peirson, DMV on the web who goes into great detail on how she feels no cat ever should be on dry and she'd rather see them eat friskies wet than anything dry. Some of us just have to do the best we can, though.

Oh and yes, many people feel that cats will have a healthier weight on wet than on dry because it doesn't have the starch and fillers necessary to create kibble. That said: all of my cats (even the ones that had been maintaining their weight for years) have been gaining weight when I was trying to give them more wet then dry - transitioning them! My 6yr old who has been 12lbs and fit for a number of years just checked in this morning at 12.5!! and my 7yr old who has been faithfully 9lbs in winter and 8lbs in summer is coming in at 10lbs now. So.....

As to using Wellness, this forum has a bias against it because of a lot of cats having trouble with urinary issues. There's a thread called 'when wellness isn't good enough' you might read.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-30-2011, 06:27 AM
 
5,742 posts, read 4,681,397 times
Reputation: 2309
So is there any correlation between weight gain/loss when using solely wet food or like humans, does it all come down to the amount of food the cat takes in?

Sorry to hear some people do not care for Wellness, but I assume Wellness Canned is better than dry food, even Wellness Dry.


Quote:
Originally Posted by WannaComeHome View Post
most research shows that cats do much better on wet than dry food - the ingredients are often better in the wet (more meat, no grain) and being wet, it provides more water than they get otherwise, since it is felt that cats don't drink enough on their own. There are a few articles on nutrition by Dr Lisa Peirson, DMV on the web who goes into great detail on how she feels no cat ever should be on dry and she'd rather see them eat friskies wet than anything dry. Some of us just have to do the best we can, though.

Oh and yes, many people feel that cats will have a healthier weight on wet than on dry because it doesn't have the starch and fillers necessary to create kibble. That said: all of my cats (even the ones that had been maintaining their weight for years) have been gaining weight when I was trying to give them more wet then dry - transitioning them! My 6yr old who has been 12lbs and fit for a number of years just checked in this morning at 12.5!! and my 7yr old who has been faithfully 9lbs in winter and 8lbs in summer is coming in at 10lbs now. So.....

As to using Wellness, this forum has a bias against it because of a lot of cats having trouble with urinary issues. There's a thread called 'when wellness isn't good enough' you might read.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-30-2011, 08:04 AM
 
Location: Monadnock region
3,712 posts, read 10,415,445 times
Reputation: 2462
dunno! I read that you get better weight loss with canned (better quality since it doesn't need the binders and more fluids), but mine have done the opposite, sooo..... I don't believe it's simply a matter of portion size, although that can of course play into it. People are more likely to free-feed with dry than with canned, and that's generally considered a no-no since they'll overeat (out of feigned hunger, boredom, taste - a lot like people!), but the dry has all the fillers to turn it into kibble. If it isn't grains then it's potato - or something starchy that you won't find in canned.

I would assume, that if you really want to feed Wellness, canned would be better than dry. just keep an eye out for any urinary issues, they seem common.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-30-2011, 02:48 PM
 
5,742 posts, read 4,681,397 times
Reputation: 2309
Thats very unfortunate. Are you referring to the thread "When dry Wellness is unacceptable... " where the owner talks about their pet " Weasie devoured all the Wellness flavors for over a year but now turns up her nose."?

Like anything, I guess it great to have choices as what some people love, other people with dislike. Was reading the following and seems it seems Wellness was rated the Best Canned Food, but Expensive.

Wellness Chicken Formula Review


Quote:
Originally Posted by WannaComeHome View Post
As to using Wellness, this forum has a bias against it because of a lot of cats having trouble with urinary issues. There's a thread called 'when wellness isn't good enough' you might read.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-30-2011, 07:24 PM
 
2,089 posts, read 3,907,840 times
Reputation: 2129
Quote:
Originally Posted by movin2Reston View Post
Thats very unfortunate. Are you referring to the thread "When dry Wellness is unacceptable... " where the owner talks about their pet " Weasie devoured all the Wellness flavors for over a year but now turns up her nose."?

Like anything, I guess it great to have choices as what some people love, other people with dislike. [ Was reading the following and seems it seems Wellness was rated the Best Canned Food, but Expensive. ]

Wellness Chicken Formula Review
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Wellness Chicken Formula
*Est. $1.50 for a 5.5-oz. can[Reviewed March 2011]


OverviewSpecsWhere To Buy

Best canned cat food, but expensive
Pros
High-quality ingredients
High meat content
Low carbohydrates
Cons
Expensive
May not appeal to some cats
Some ingredients not completely defined
[Some lots recalled in March 2011 vitamin deficiency]
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I don't know how to highlight, so,

Seriously???

This review was written in March 2011/ right after Wellness recalled vitamin deficient cat food (which cats died because of) and it's listed in the CONS part of the review .... but it still made the top of the list.

Who owns this site? and how do you pay to get your food favorably reviewed?

Last edited by leanansidhex; 12-30-2011 at 08:12 PM.. Reason: extra words
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-30-2011, 08:11 PM
 
2,089 posts, read 3,907,840 times
Reputation: 2129
Wellness Chicken Formula Review

We collect
the best reviews

analyze
their picks

recommend
what to buy

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
[Sponsored Links]
Compare Wellness Cat Food
Comparison Tool to Compare Brands. See How BLUE Compares! Learn More.
B​l​u​e​B​u​f​f​a​l​o​.​c​o​m
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Our Sources

1. About.com (Note: ConsumerSearch is owned by About.com, but the two don't share an editorial affiliation.)
Review: Top Canned Cat Food, Franny Syufy

I can't tell when this review was written
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

2. CatInfo.org

Updated September, 2011 (except for the canned food list)
Lisa A. Pierson, DVM
DrPierson@catinfo.org
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~



3. PetsumerReport.comDetails/Subscribe
Thixton is also largely satisfied with the company's handling of a recall of some products due to insufficient thiamine, and reproduces her correspondence with Wellness at her blog. That said, not all pet owners posting comments agree.
Review: Cat Food, Susan Thixton


4. Ask Susan Peters
This page is no longer available


5. Tipped Ear Clan
January 2009 (essentially useless)
Review: Hey, What's That in My Food Dish??, "Calsifer", January 2009


6. ZooToo.com

Reader reviews from 2 to 4 years ago
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-30-2011, 09:19 PM
 
5,742 posts, read 4,681,397 times
Reputation: 2309
I think you might have missed the Analysis section?

"A March 2011 recall of some lots over a deficiency in thiamine (vitamin B1) raised some concerns, but pet food advocates say that the company handled the situation appropriately.

Most reviewers who've tested Wellness canned cat foods, including the Chicken Formula, come away impressed. The grain-free varieties -- including Chicken Formula -- are lauded by CatInfo.org as a complete, high-quality diet. The Chicken Formula also fares better than most foods at Ask Susan Peters, a site where few foods escape harsh criticism. At PetsumerReport.com, Susan Thixton also gives the food a thumbs-up. About.com's cats guide Franny Syufy tests Wellness on her own cats and is impressed; unfortunately, not all of her cats agree. Other insights can be gained at the Tipped Ear Clan blog and in user discussions at ZooToo.com."


Quote:
Originally Posted by leanansidhex View Post
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Wellness Chicken Formula
*Est. $1.50 for a 5.5-oz. can[Reviewed March 2011]


OverviewSpecsWhere To Buy

Best canned cat food, but expensive
Pros
High-quality ingredients
High meat content
Low carbohydrates
Cons
Expensive
May not appeal to some cats
Some ingredients not completely defined
[Some lots recalled in March 2011 vitamin deficiency]
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I don't know how to highlight, so,

Seriously???

This review was written in March 2011/ right after Wellness recalled vitamin deficient cat food (which cats died because of) and it's listed in the CONS part of the review .... but it still made the top of the list.

Who owns this site? and how do you pay to get your food favorably reviewed?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-31-2011, 01:49 AM
 
2,089 posts, read 3,907,840 times
Reputation: 2129
Quote:
Originally Posted by movin2Reston View Post
I think you might have missed the Analysis section?

"A March 2011 recall of some lots over a deficiency in thiamine (vitamin B1) raised some concerns, but pet food advocates say that the company handled the situation appropriately.

Most reviewers who've tested Wellness canned cat foods, including the Chicken Formula, come away impressed. The grain-free varieties -- including Chicken Formula -- are lauded by CatInfo.org as a complete, high-quality diet. The Chicken Formula also fares better than most foods at Ask Susan Peters, a site where few foods escape harsh criticism. At PetsumerReport.com, Susan Thixton also gives the food a thumbs-up. About.com's cats guide Franny Syufy tests Wellness on her own cats and is impressed; unfortunately, not all of her cats agree. Other insights can be gained at the Tipped Ear Clan blog and in user discussions at ZooToo.com."
Quote:
Originally Posted by leanansidhex View Post
Wellness Chicken Formula Review

We collect
the best reviews

analyze
their picks

recommend
what to buy

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
[Sponsored Links]
Compare Wellness Cat Food
Comparison Tool to Compare Brands. See How BLUE Compares! Learn More.
B​l​u​e​B​u​f​f​a​l​o​.​c​o​m
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Our Sources

1. About.com (Note: ConsumerSearch is owned by About.com, but the two don't share an editorial affiliation.)
Review: Top Canned Cat Food, Franny Syufy

I can't tell when this review was written
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

2. CatInfo.org

Updated September, 2011 (except for the canned food list)
Lisa A. Pierson, DVM
DrPierson@catinfo.org
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~



3. PetsumerReport.comDetails/Subscribe
Thixton is also largely satisfied with the company's handling of a recall of some products due to insufficient thiamine, and reproduces her correspondence with Wellness at her blog. That said, not all pet owners posting comments agree.
Review: Cat Food, Susan Thixton


4. Ask Susan Peters
This page is no longer available


5. Tipped Ear Clan
January 2009 (essentially useless)
Review: Hey, What's That in My Food Dish??, "Calsifer", January 2009


6. ZooToo.com

Reader reviews from 2 to 4 years ago
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I broke down their analysis on my next post and you left out an important part of the Sue Thixton/Petsumer Report:

3. PetsumerReport.comDetails/Subscribe
Thixton is also largely satisfied with the company's handling of a recall of some products due to insufficient thiamine, and reproduces her correspondence with Wellness at her blog. [That said, not all pet owners posting comments agree.]
Review: Cat Food, Susan Thixton

I know why I have serious reservations about Wellness quality and commitment to their customers, but why are you so stuck on defending them?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-31-2011, 07:33 AM
 
5,742 posts, read 4,681,397 times
Reputation: 2309
No, not trying to defend Wellness, just have yet to have any real reason not to like them which is why I am interested in hear from those that are currently using Wellness Canned Food.

I know it is always dislike a product or manufacturer for whatever reason, and that was not the intent of this thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by leanansidhex View Post
I broke down their analysis on my next post and you left out an important part of the Sue Thixton/Petsumer Report:

3. PetsumerReport.comDetails/Subscribe
Thixton is also largely satisfied with the company's handling of a recall of some products due to insufficient thiamine, and reproduces her correspondence with Wellness at her blog. [That said, not all pet owners posting comments agree.]
Review: Cat Food, Susan Thixton

I know why I have serious reservations about Wellness quality and commitment to their customers, but why are you so stuck on defending them?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 02:06 PM.

Ā© 2005-2022, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top