U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2012, 09:36 PM

7,201 posts, read 13,812,076 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissingAll4Seasons View Post

However, today, she has been passing gooey bloody stools that are mostly mucous.
Yes, whenever you see blood in the stool or vomit it's time to get the cat to the vet as quickly as possible. This is not the time to wait-and-see what happens.

When cats are allowed to roam outdoors they can pick up any number of internal (and external) parasites, some can be deadly.

Quote:
We normally go into the village on Friday's and I could call the vet from the payphone... or I could bundle her up and head straight into town at first light as long as the temps are high enough and the weather looks decent. Any advice?
It could be too late by then.

I'm so curious I have to ask... why on earth do you live in such a remote area? What happens if you have an emergency yourself? You must have Satellite PC, TV and some kind of phone service as no regular services would cover such a remote area. I hope you can get her to civilization before it's too late.

Last edited by =^..^=; 01-26-2012 at 09:45 PM..
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2012, 10:24 PM

4,729 posts, read 9,465,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by =^..^= View Post
I'm so curious I have to ask... why on earth do you live in such a remote area? What happens if you have an emergency yourself? You must have Satellite PC, TV and some kind of phone service as no regular services would cover such a remote area. I hope you can get her to civilization before it's too late.
We have satellite internet, on a generator as there is no power grid out here either. The internet is our only form of communication and meets 95% of our needs. Landline phone service is not available, even in the village the long distance service is via radio repeater, and there is no cell reception unless you can get line-of-sight to one of the nearest towers from the top of one of the mountains... over 60 miles away, so you get 2-3 bars on a good day. Satellite phone service is available for a hefty charge if you can afford it (which we can't).

In case of emergency, we have medevac insurance... and the service we contract with has a 24-hr web service that we can notify online with our emergency and pickup coordinates via GPS... if the planes or helo can fly given the weather. The villages 30 minutes away on either side have clinics and share a health aide, and are connected via satellite to the main hospital in town for non-immediate health issues.

Our remoteness only becomes a true hindrance in emergencies during the winter when temperatures and weather conditions prohibit mechanical function. In most cases, when the planes can't fly, the road is open (or vice versa) because the conditions that limit/prohibit those forms of travel are different. Except ultra-low temperature, literally, when it is too cold for any fuel to burn in a combustion engine.

As for why we we live out here in such a remote place... we chose increased quality of life over the possible risks to the quantity of it. To each their own.

As for Charlie, I do agree that blood in vomit or stool should (under normal circumstances) be addressed by medical personnel immediately. Had she passed bloody mucous earlier in the day (first light is 10am) we would have had enough time to get her bundled up and into town before dark (4pm). Unfortunately, she didn't until the afternoon when the sun was already setting and the temperatures were dropping... at which point, driving 3+ hours into town on a remote, seldom traveled, snow covered, gravel, mountain road in the dark with temps well below zero in an attempt to get her medical attention was just as, if not more, risky as waiting to see if she would improve overnight.

Old 01-27-2012, 06:52 AM

3,712 posts, read 10,509,099 times
did she make it through the night?? I hope you can get her in today, she really sounds critical. One other food option would be any of the meat baby foods - human grade meat already soupy! but if she's turning up her nose at the paste, the baby food might not work either. Have you tried wiping her mouth with it? that might take less effort on her part than licking her nose. poor thing. and <hugs> to you, too - it's very hard to be the caretaker in times like this!

please let us know.

Old 01-27-2012, 09:11 AM

9,918 posts, read 23,233,435 times
I know it's very early there still but I am thinking about this as I wait in airport and hope things are better than they might sound. I am worried with you as I'm sure the others are as well. Hoping for best and to hear from you soon.

Old 01-27-2012, 01:26 PM

She's made it through the night. She still has diarrhea, but no blood in it this morning. Unfortunately, it doesn't look as though we'll be able to take her in and may not even be able to get into the village.

It's currently -49F and even though we've been running the engine block heaters on the generator for an hour, and the battery was inside on the trickle charger all night, the truck is just not starting. We checked with our DoT friend, and he says there are a few passes that are mostly closed by ice fog and snow drifts. while the road is officially "open" he doesn't recommend attempting the drive since they do not plow below -20F and there probably wouldn't be anyone else on the road in these conditions if something went wrong and we needed aid. I also checked with our post mistress, and the mail plane won't be coming today either unless the temps come up another 15 degrees and the ice fog clears. There have even been some flight cancellations in the big airport in town already.

We're trying to arrange a relay phone and instant messenger conversation with our vet through a friend in the village when she gets off work after lunch. But honestly, things are not looking promising at this point and there isn't much the vet can do if no one can travel and there isn't any mail service either

I'm going to mix up some brothy food and try feeding her a little at a time with a syringe if she'll let me. I don't want to cause her any more discomfort, but she really needs to eat something soon. I can only hope that I can baby her along and she can hold out until the weather cooperates. Fingers crossed.

Old 01-27-2012, 03:39 PM

2,089 posts, read 3,973,715 times
Charlie is in good hands. The medicines a vet prescribes are not generally cures anyway, in my experience. If you can keep her eating, and make her comfortable, she'll be stronger when she does get to the vets office.

Old 01-27-2012, 09:32 PM

3,712 posts, read 10,509,099 times
crossed fingers and good thoughts for you all! it's a scary time, esp when you can't do anything about it. Hopefully Charley will hang on until you can get her in! glad to hear there wasn't any blood this time.

Old 01-27-2012, 11:58 PM

Well, we managed to get a few syringes of meat gruel down her and I flushed her eyes and sinuses with TheraTears to get the goop out. She seems to have perked up a little, even came downstairs briefly... for the first time in 3 days. I'll be a lot happier if she would eat and drink on her own, but having a bit of fight back in her when I'm squirting the broth in her mouth is hopefully a good sign. Certainly preferable to the weak half-cry she gave this morning. Especially since it's supposed to be even colder over the weekend.

Old 01-28-2012, 12:38 AM

2,089 posts, read 3,973,715 times
Sounds like she's heading in the right direction, and I'm sure the extra attention from her mom feels good. Cuddle up and sleep well, we'll see you in the morning.

Old 01-28-2012, 06:21 AM

7,201 posts, read 13,812,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissingAll4Seasons View Post
We have satellite internet, on a generator as there is no power grid out here either. The internet is our only form of communication and meets 95% of our needs. Landline phone service is not available, even in the village the long distance service is via radio repeater, and there is no cell reception unless you can get line-of-sight to one of the nearest towers from the top of one of the mountains... over 60 miles away, so you get 2-3 bars on a good day. Satellite phone service is available for a hefty charge if you can afford it (which we can't).
Thank God for Internet.

Quote:
In case of emergency, we have medevac insurance... and the service we contract with has a 24-hr web service that we can notify online with our emergency and pickup coordinates via GPS... if the planes or helo can fly given the weather. The villages 30 minutes away on either side have clinics and share a health aide, and are connected via satellite to the main hospital in town for non-immediate health issues.
They probably don't have anything similar for pets.

Quote:
As for why we we live out here in such a remote place... we chose increased quality of life over the possible risks to the quantity of it. To each their own.
This is so true. What is one person's paradise is another person's hell.

Quote:
As for Charlie, I do agree that blood in vomit or stool should (under normal circumstances) be addressed by medical personnel immediately. Had she passed bloody mucous earlier in the day (first light is 10am) we would have had enough time to get her bundled up and into town before dark (4pm). Unfortunately, she didn't until the afternoon when the sun was already setting and the temperatures were dropping... at which point, driving 3+ hours into town on a remote, seldom traveled, snow covered, gravel, mountain road in the dark with temps well below zero in an attempt to get her medical attention was just as, if not more, risky as waiting to see if she would improve overnight.
I understand why you don't want to take that chance. I hope all goes well for her.........
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats