Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2012, 09:34 PM

3,712 posts, read 10,981,214 times

Advertisements

has he been losing any weight? increased thirst is also a symptom of diabetes! if that is the case, you need to get him on meds asap! with diet and insulin you can actually get the diabetes cured/in remission. but long term unchecked can be very dangerous.

As to peculiar drinking habits: my first cat (before we knew much that milk is bad for cats) would drink milk, but would only drink water from the little glasses my mother was rooting plants in! My first office cat, while she would drink from her bowl, also liked the spring water from the water cooler - but if you filled a paper cup with it and held it out, she'd just butt her head against it and not drink. She knew that wasn't how you drink that water and wanted it poured (slowly and carefully) into her mouth!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2012, 09:47 PM

17,526 posts, read 15,267,171 times
WHAT? You're not serving your cat freshly chilled Evian shipped directly from the Swiss Alps? Well, no wonderrrr!

My cat has 2 big stainless steel dog bowls for water. One upstairs one downstairs.

She prefers to dip her paw in any glass of liquid she can and sample the contents. I have to use sippy cups for adults to keep her out of my water and beverages. She also likes to look at her reflection in the bottom of the stainless steel bowl and dip her paws in those bowls too.

Old 02-03-2012, 10:01 PM

10,420 posts, read 14,513,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnRoxy View Post
Our 16-year-old cat (beautiful ragdoll named Leonard) has been knocking over glasses of water to drink out of and turn his nose to water in the bowl. If I fill it with fresh water he get excited and will drink. Usually he drinks so much water it doesn't get more than 2 days old. We even have water bowls on on 3 levels.

We moved to a new state about 2 months ago. This is very different for him. I ordered some canned cat food for him, for more water in his diet.

He is an amazingly wonderful kitty, best we have ever had. Has mOved states before and has been with us his entire life. He is our only pet.

What do you think is going on?
Certainly check with your vet if his water consumpton seems high. But I think that he may be drinking more water from cups not because he wants the water so much but merely likes drinking from cups.

Old 02-04-2012, 10:34 PM

9,126 posts, read 5,756,425 times
My kitties would rather drink from the faucet than
anything, but I don't dare set down a cup of water.

Old 02-04-2012, 11:06 PM

121 posts, read 458,637 times
Thanks for all the input!
Y'all are so funny!
I'll get him checked out at the vet and look into the fountain. He only knocks over glasses on the kitchen table, so I've been moving kids water to the countertop.
You gotta love these furry critters! Hope he is okay and just decided it was fun to see the water spill, and not something more serious.
Thanks again.

Old 02-05-2012, 01:57 AM

9,126 posts, read 5,756,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnRoxy View Post
Thanks for all the input!
Y'all are so funny!
I'll get him checked out at the vet and look into the fountain. He only knocks over glasses on the kitchen table, so I've been moving kids water to the countertop.
You gotta love these furry critters! Hope he is okay and just decided it was fun to see the water spill, and not something more serious.
Thanks again.

Oh yeah, the countertop; that'll do it.

Old 02-05-2012, 05:34 AM

36,499 posts, read 53,766,574 times
My Ragdoll Oscar has always been a very naughty liquid spiller. I can't leave a beverage glass out for 10 seconds before he finds it and knocks it over. he puts his paw in it to tip it or just gently pushes it right to the edge and sits and watches it and then with much glee makes the final push and giggles and runs away. i have never seen him drink out of anything but his several water bowls and directly from the laundry room sink. He has trained us to turn on the water for him while we are doing laundry. It really is ridiculous. Why do we let these creatures rule our lives like this?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats