Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2012, 10:43 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,049,575 times

Advertisements

Our neighbor has a lot of outdoor cats. They love to come and poop in our flower beds and compost pile.

Our dogs love to eat the cat poop, which doesn't thrill me because the cats dont' receive vet care---no shots, not worming, nothing.

My most creative idea involves sneaking into my neighbor's yard at night and dumping a bunch of sand in a remote area.

If figure if the cats have a desirable place to poop in their own yard, they won't come to mine.

While my plan is clearly brilliant, it's also obviously very flawed.

Since there are plants and scents that deter deer and other wildlife from yards, I'm wondering if there is anything that deters cats?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2012, 10:56 AM

1,457 posts, read 4,054,865 times
Sorry I can't help you, but I think your creative idea is really pretty funny!! I'm sure someone can recommend what to put out, but if not, go with your own idea

Old 02-17-2012, 11:32 AM

9,912 posts, read 24,655,128 times
I don't have any direct experience with this, but some info from what appear to be reasonable sources (i.e. not those where people are keen to harm the cats or such):

How to Deter Cats - Alley Cat Allies

The Cat Repellant And Deterrent Web Site

The first one covers more ground for those cases where people have feral cats in their yard and aren't sure what to do. But halfway down there's a section about garden, etc. Plus if you look on there a bit there are a couple of other good ideas, such as the motion-activated sprayer.

The other site has some different ideas. That Silent Roar product cracks me up, says it's made with essence of lion dung! The second site might be British but the idea of the certain plants might work if the plants are available here. Also fake snakes, very interesting, I wonder if that would really work though if they've never been taught to fear snakes?

The citrus/lavender/eucalyptus/etc scent thing might be the easiest to try. I gather that is the basis for some of the commercial cat deterrent sprays. That may take repeated application though, not sure. Depending upon how persistent they are you may find you'll need a combination of several things to truly be effective.

BTW, the sand idea is brilliant IMO, you should definitely try that.

Old 02-17-2012, 11:39 AM

Interesting ideas, greg!

Hubby is completely against sneaking into the neighbor's yard to create a sand pile. Bummer.

Since his solutions aren't cat friendly, it's up to me to figure out the nicest way to solve this.

For the cats' sake, it's a good thing hubby listens to me!

I've been doing research.

I liked the idea of holly and rose bush clippings but hubby won't let me do that because he says the dogs will get hurt.

Sadly, dogs are more stupid than cats in that regard.

I read that placing a gallon container of water deters them. Sounds crazy that simply seeing a plastic gallon bottle with water would scare them away. That's the first I'll try because it's easy.

If that fails, I try some of the suggestions you found! (Won't it be wild if the plastic water bottle scares them away?!?!?)

Old 02-17-2012, 12:43 PM

2,087 posts, read 4,285,697 times
I've heard that orange peels are a deterrent. How many per square foot, or if the peels from other citrus fruits will work, I don't know.

Old 02-17-2012, 01:32 PM

41,957 posts, read 75,192,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
While my plan is clearly brilliant, it's also obviously very flawed.
Flawed yes, brilliant ... hardly. Trespassing and damaging a neighbor's property is never an answer.

Fence in your compost heap. If the cats can't get in, they can't dig. Toss lemon and orange peels on the top of the pile. Consider covering the top with a screen.

Scatter these in your garden, covered with soil:

Cat Scat Mats, Set of 5 | Buy from Gardener's Supply

Old 02-17-2012, 01:37 PM

6 posts, read 19,546 times
Hahahaha I am so sorry you have this problem but the fact that I was going to say Get a Dog and you already have some that enjoy the visits is just toooo much.

My suggestion would be to plant Catnip between the two properties.

Old 02-17-2012, 02:21 PM

9,912 posts, read 24,655,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
Flawed yes, brilliant ... hardly. Trespassing and damaging a neighbor's property is never an answer.
Heh, I took that as fairly obvious just goofing around. Can't *really* do that, of course, but there is a certain appealing logic to it....

Old 02-17-2012, 02:40 PM

15,370 posts, read 39,113,750 times
did you even TELL the kitties...."Don do dat."

Theyre kats, they'll unnerstan.

Old 02-17-2012, 03:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
You're no fun!

Quote:
Originally Posted by greg42 View Post
Heh, I took that as fairly obvious just goofing around. Can't *really* do that, of course, but there is a certain appealing logic to it....
Thanks for seeing the appealing logic.

I was goofing, but it would be possible since much of their property is wooded. Heck, I could ask my girlfriend who lives next door if I can dump some sand on her property in the woods right at the property line. She owns a cat. She'd probably go for it because she hates that they are irresponsible cat owners.

It is truly brilliant because it would work! Everybody would be pooping where everybody should without anyone being hurt. In my research, I've learned that people do TERRIBLE things to cats who poop in their yards. I would never do anything that would harm a cat. The neighbor should be glad I came up with my brilliant sand solution.

Funny thing is he probably would never discover the sand pile since he is rarely outside. And if he did discover it, he wouldn't do anything about it because he's super lazy. He probably wouldn't realize that it wasn't always there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dynimagelv View Post
did you even TELL the kitties...."Don do dat."

Theyre kats, they'll unnerstan.
I've tried. They're sort of feral. They were born outside and have never been inside. They're basically ignored except for feeding. It's obvious when the neighbor has forgotten them. I can see them waiting forever to be fed on occassion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats