U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
 
Old 02-27-2012, 04:07 PM
 
16,141 posts, read 22,516,849 times
Reputation: 26703

Advertisements

Both my cats have an upper respiratory problem. They have had shots, which I am told only relieves the symptoms, not a cure.

I have been told the only cure is to sanitize everywhere they have sneezed. I have tried to do this, it is impossible to keep up.

I have tried steaming nearly everything in my house, repeatedly. I realize now that I somehow have to cordon them off, get them more shots...and keep them in an isolated area....just not sure how to do this in the best way.

Sort of looking for anyone that has had to do this. Any suggestions how to treat the animals, and the house and keep the re-exposure down by isolating the cats. I am attempting to keep them away from the majority of the house til they get over their symptoms. To avoid re-exposure if I can. Help??

I know it is gonna traumatize them to keep them in their kennels, possibly in the basement. I have no idea how long this takes?? Days, week?
I plan on sanitizing the basement after allowing the cats back in the house upstairs. This is not an easy process, any advise would be appreciated.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

 
Old 02-27-2012, 04:54 PM
 
Location: zone 5
7,329 posts, read 15,051,387 times
Reputation: 9668
I don't know why you need to sanitize if you don't have other uninfected cats. Even then, a URI isn't usually serious in a young otherwise healthy cat whose immune system isn't compromised. It should resolve on its own and not return from contact with surfaces around the house. When I brought home a cat with URI I kept him isolated from my other cat (partially for that reason). She did catch it anyway, since I couldn't keep her completely away from areas where he'd been. I didn't do any special cleaning after that. They were both fine in a week or so.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-27-2012, 05:11 PM
 
16,141 posts, read 22,516,849 times
Reputation: 26703
Quote:
Originally Posted by subject2change View Post
I don't know why you need to sanitize if you don't have other uninfected cats. Even then, a URI isn't usually serious in a young otherwise healthy cat whose immune system isn't compromised. It should resolve on its own and not return from contact with surfaces around the house. When I brought home a cat with URI I kept him isolated from my other cat (partially for that reason). She did catch it anyway, since I couldn't keep her completely away from areas where he'd been. I didn't do any special cleaning after that. They were both fine in a week or so.
My vet said they keep re-infecting each other. So, you are saying isolating them from each other might work? That would be much easier. The Vet told me they catch it from anywhere they have sneezed, the germs. It has been an ordeal. I had one cat go outside this fall, she caught it, and they have passed it back and forth, have had the shots 2 times. Clears up the symptoms, but not the illness the Vet said. Also, Thank you for your reply.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-27-2012, 05:21 PM
 
Location: zone 5
7,329 posts, read 15,051,387 times
Reputation: 9668
I hope someone else will chime in here. I'm not familiar with a URI that would keep coming back like that. Did the vet have another specific name for it?
Did you change litter brands last fall? Or start using other new products that could cause an allergic type reaction?
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-28-2012, 01:49 AM
 
Location: Near Nashville TN
7,201 posts, read 13,410,644 times
Reputation: 5416
Quote:
Originally Posted by JanND View Post
Both my cats have an upper respiratory problem. They have had shots, which I am told only relieves the symptoms, not a cure.
There is no treatment for a virus infection. Is it bacterial or viral?

Quote:
I have been told the only cure is to sanitize everywhere they have sneezed. I have tried to do this, it is impossible to keep up.
Told by who? This is nonsense unless you have shelter or breeding facility. Being airborne, that wouldn't work too well anyway.

Quote:
I have tried steaming nearly everything in my house, repeatedly. I realize now that I somehow have to cordon them off, get them more shots...and keep them in an isolated area....just not sure how to do this in the best way.
You're wasting your time. What kind of "shots" are they getting for this resp' infection?

Quote:
Sort of looking for anyone that has had to do this. Any suggestions how to treat the animals, and the house and keep the re-exposure down by isolating the cats. I am attempting to keep them away from the majority of the house til they get over their symptoms. To avoid re-exposure if I can. Help??
Re-exposure? Absurd - makes no sense. Their immune system will will fight this off if it's viral or bacterial. Antibiotics may help if it's bacterial. All my cats, rescues, had URIs when I brought them home. All got over the infections with good food, lack of stress and plenty of love. They were never separated.

Quote:
I know it is gonna traumatize them to keep them in their kennels, possibly in the basement. I have no idea how long this takes?? Days, week?
Don't even consider something so stressful and cruel. You will make the problem worse.

Quote:
I plan on sanitizing the basement after allowing the cats back in the house upstairs. This is not an easy process, any advise would be appreciated.
See above. Re-exposure isn't the problem. These infections take time to clear up. Phaedra sneezed and snitzed bloody mucus for 3 weeks. I can't believe you vet warned you about re-exposure.

Last edited by =^..^=; 02-28-2012 at 01:57 AM..
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-28-2012, 01:54 AM
 
Location: Near Nashville TN
7,201 posts, read 13,410,644 times
Reputation: 5416
Quote:
Originally Posted by JanND View Post
My vet said they keep re-infecting each other.
Then have their blood tested for feline AIDS. With normal immune systems they become immune to the specific disease. Unlike parasites that can indeed go from one cat to another in endless cycles.

Quote:
So, you are saying isolating them from each other might work? That would be much easier. The Vet told me they catch it from anywhere they have sneezed, the germs. It has been an ordeal.
There is something wrong with your vet's advice. If you're cats are free of FeLV this is not the case.

Quote:
I had one cat go outside this fall, she caught it, and they have passed it back and forth, have had the shots 2 times. Clears up the symptoms, but not the illness the Vet said. Also, Thank you for your reply.
What shots? And what tests did this vet do on your cats? Is it a viral or bacterial infection? And are they clean of FLV and FeLV?
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-28-2012, 04:49 AM
 
16,141 posts, read 22,516,849 times
Reputation: 26703
Thanks for all the input.
The first visit, Nov., they were both given convenia the next time, Feb., Amoxicillian Suspension. I do not know when I last did the feline luk tests, it was a long time ago. I can't remember if they ever got an aids test, because they were both kittens when I got them, 03' & 05' I'll have to call the Vets....We've moved since they were little.
New kitty litter, no. Murray my long hair has always been a bit allergic, and prone to sneezing. I have always thought he was a bit sickly. Abbey, the older short haired was always healthy, never any sneezing, sniffles. But, she was outside last year in my backyard...escaped. We have wild rabbits, squirrels etc. The vet when I told her this said that more than likey she caught airborne, that she didn't have to be close to the other animal to get it. Vet said airborne....so that's bacterial. She suggested separating them, to help them get over it.
So, this week I'll call vet again, see about more shots.treatments, ..and ask more questions. I just worry because the mucus sounds scarey, and they sneeze it sprays loose mucus or something. The shots helped alot, but they should have been able to get over this by now...I'm just very worried and want to find the right thing to do. Thanks all for your help.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-28-2012, 06:23 AM
 
46 posts, read 209,789 times
Reputation: 71
Sounds almost like feline herpes. Maybe an L-lysine supplement in their food will help. Strange advice your vet is giving...
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-28-2012, 06:41 AM
 
Location: zone 5
7,329 posts, read 15,051,387 times
Reputation: 9668
It wouldn't hurt to get a second opinion since this has been going on so long.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-28-2012, 06:49 AM
 
7,847 posts, read 15,552,020 times
Reputation: 13090
Find a new vet. Your vet sounds clueless. Convenia isn't meant for URI in the first place. Secondly an infection that keeps coming back is viral and will not be cured by antibiotics.

Get pure l-lysine powder and give them 500 mg a day in their food. The pure powder has no taste except for slightly salty. They can have it every day. Once the symptoms have been under control for a long time, you can try reducing the therapeutic dose to a maintenance dose of 500 mg every other day, or 250 mg a day.

1/4 (one fourth) teaspoon of pure l-lysine powder is 500 mg.

I use this brand:Amazon.com: Source Naturals L-Lysine Powder, 100g (Pack of 3): Health & Personal Care

though many prefer this brand:

Amazon.com: NOW Foods Lysine Powder, 1 Pound: Health & Personal Care

When you change vets (or if you stay with the vet ) I would ask for a repeat SNAP test. This tests for both Feline Leukemia (FeLV) and FIV (feline aids)

Your vet should have already done that, and prescribed l-lysine.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


 
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2021, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top