Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-04-2012, 09:41 AM

4,888 posts, read 13,831,089 times

Advertisements

Living in a city neighborhood, I mostly see and hear "urban birds." There are plenty of those obnoxious non-native starlings and house sparrows around. Other species which have adapted to these kinds of surroundings, such as chickadees and blue jays and mockingbirds and cardinals and robins etc are also fairly common. Sadly for an avian aficionado, but happily for a cat-friendly person since few "desirable" feathered friends are ever caught by kitties here, a lot of songbird species are rarely if ever seen or heard.

But lately (and on occasion over the years) I've been hearing titmice. They're on the talkative side. When you see them they give the impression of having a laid-back and friendly disposition. Because the feathers on their head and upper body are a bluish gray, that combined with their loquacious and chatty style has led me to start calling them "Weasie birds." For my dear departed cat by that name was nothing if not gregarious and outspoken with her gray-furred self. (She had a white chin, also, while the titmouse is white underneath.) It gives me a smile and a gentle push forward in my mourning to hear that "deeter deeter" call outside, as I just have. Never did it occur to me to associate that bird with that cat while Weeze and I shared nineteen years. Now it seems obvious.

If you have a "red" cat who chirps like a cardinal, or a gray kitten who bops and buzzes around in the style of a chickadee...whatever the case may be, chime in!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2012, 12:36 PM

3,712 posts, read 11,035,160 times
I have cats who sound like a herd of elephants.. but none that remind me of birds

Old 03-04-2012, 02:50 PM

2,087 posts, read 4,285,697 times
How funny, I was just going to post this to the Cat Chat thread:

Preface: I'm not entirely sure my mobile home is secure, there may be small holes, or damage underneath, where mice or small creatures could conceivably get in.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I have SO many different types of birds that come to our yard to eat ... so, yesterday I'm in the kitchen, and I hear a mourning dove in my bedroom.

I'm kind of freaking out since I'm a little scared of birds, and the thought of having to get it out of my house before the cats kill it is making the situation worse for me.

But, since there is no other choice, I cautiously go into the bedroom to locate the bird.

I see Meeko looking out the window, and Freddie asleep in the cat tree. ???
Can't imagine why Meeko ("predatory-moo" that he is) isn't stalking the dove.
//www.city-data.com/forum/attac...doc_122089.jpg

I'm looking under the bed, and I hear Bird Songs and Sound of Mourning Dove but I don't see the bird, Anywhere!

As I stand up, Meeko begins "cooing" as he looks out the window. !!!

Old 03-04-2012, 03:42 PM

2,087 posts, read 4,285,697 times
Immediately after Saber died, a single bird began landing on the telephone wire that was strung directly in front of a window, in the room where we spent his last days, (the stairs to our downstairs room were too steep for him to descend safely on his own and he didn't like to be picked up).

This visitation began the morning after Saber died (I only woke up briefly, that first morning, then rolled back over) this continued for a week, always at the same exact time.

I had left the curtains open the first night he was gone, because there was a beautiful tree outside, framed by that window, and I felt calmer just watching the changing patterns the leaves made as they swayed in the breeze. I never closed them.

On the 7th morning, I woke to find the curtains closed, (I later learned my mother had closed them) but I saw the shadow of a bird flapping its wings, (no sound) it was not sitting on the wire, yet it hovered in the same spot for almost a minute ... as I moved toward the window to open the curtains, it disappeared.

I know Saber doesn't think I "shut him out" ... it was a poetic ending ... to these visits.

Old 03-04-2012, 03:47 PM

17,635 posts, read 22,636,672 times
I feel very fortunate to have a basspond here in my mountain forest.
Over the lustrum' i've gotten an enormous amount of pleasure watching the life in my pond evolve (fish, turtle, crawdads, frogs, tadpoles, occasional ducks) & observing the forest critters.

Sometimes Bald Eagle, Osprey, Great Blue Heron have taken fish from my pond. Such is the way of nature. Some years a pair of eagles will nest in an old growth doug fir, high up the canyon side across from my creek.
Bald Eagle, Sounds, All About Birds - Cornell Lab of Ornithology

Sometimes i see vulture glide across the treetops looking for roadkill, mostly. At nite i at times hear Great Horned Owl getting ready to hunt a meal. I'm fortunate i haven't ever had any problem with my 4legged indoor/outdoor pal's, getting hurt or hunted by the wild neighbor critters in our forest. They have lived together in peace, harmony, & tranquility.

Here, there are many bluejay, robin, sparrow, woodpecker, quail, partridge, etc http://www.allaboutbirds.org/guide/Blue_jay/sounds/ac

Take only pictures.
Leave only footprints.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats