Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-09-2012, 06:38 PM

36,499 posts, read 54,078,069 times

Advertisements

I've had cats all my life and have never had an aloof cat. Shy maybe but aloof??? Oscar drives me crazy with his demands for attention.

What do you think?

Dog People vs. Cat People: What Pet Preference Says About You - ABC News
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2012, 09:51 AM

13 posts, read 50,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
I've had cats all my life and have never had an aloof cat. Shy maybe but aloof??? Oscar drives me crazy with his demands for attention.

What do you think?

Dog People vs. Cat People: What Pet Preference Says About You - ABC News

I have never, ever understood that either. Every cat I've ever met has been only too happy to get attention and love from a human-their own or any random two-leg.

I think cats suffer as much from their friends as their enemies: All this happy cr@ppy that gets posted in dogs vs cats threads multiple times (and you know each poster things s/he's being original) about,"Cats have staff not owners", "Cats think they're gods because of (a) ancient Egypt (b) humans taking care of them" blah blah blah...If cats had that attitude , I wouldn't like them. Where are other people finding cats that keep that stereotype alive?

Every cat I've ever known has been pure sweetness and love on paws.

Dogs on the other hand....

I love dogs, but I suspect that behind those deep coffee-colored pools of soulfulness that are puppy dog eyes lies a devious, cunning, manipulative brain. They love trying to get away with forbidden stuff with their humans-and the look of utter astonishment on their expressive faces when they realize a human has figured out what they're up to says volumes about their opinion of human intelligence.

But my experience with dogs is limited to dachshunds mostly...Other breeds may be more like the canine stereotype.

I really do love both animals (I have a cat and two dogs) and I love meeting other people's pets.

Old 03-11-2012, 10:13 AM

2,309 posts, read 4,383,992 times
We have two cats that I love very much.
My girl Starla will follow me around the house and wait for me until I'm done in that particular room then she follows me out to the next area.

When I take a shower she will wait for me patiently in the bathroom until I'm done then she'll leave with me while I do something else.

When I sit down on the couch she jumps up and rubs me with her head.

I know she is the exception to the rule and stereotype about cats.

I love my Starla and treat her like the queen that she is and in turn she is always with me.

Old 03-11-2012, 01:00 PM

6,904 posts, read 7,603,681 times
As we all know, cats aren't aloof at all. However, they tend to avoid noisy loud rough rowdy people (think how they know to avoid toddlers) and ditto kinds of dogs.

So people who are mostly noisy or figity or very physically active all the time won't have a close relationship with a cat.

Old 03-12-2012, 04:50 PM

15,700 posts, read 17,044,756 times
I have seven cats..... only one of them is aloof.

Once in a blue moon, he will come to sit with me. If I search him out to pet him, he will tolerate it for only a minute or two, then he will move to get away from me.

So, I have learned {to be more accurate.... I have been trained} to search him out, give him a few quick strokes, just to let him know I love him......then I retreat so he doesn't have to move just to be rid of me and the unsolicited attention. LOL

Old 03-13-2012, 08:02 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,446,688 times
Cats are selective. When they don't want to be around someone they act aloof. I think that's a wise move.

But she is also loyal and loving when she wants to be. Several times when I have gone over to feed the neighbor's cat when the neighbor was on vacation, I found my cat sitting on the neighbor's doorstep waiting patiently for me. Like Greyfriars Bobbie.

Old 03-13-2012, 09:31 PM

973 posts, read 2,141,899 times
I used to be a total cat only person. Never had a dog until a year and a 1/2 ago. I'm now an equal animal lover.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats