U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2012, 02:47 AM

2,089 posts, read 3,908,412 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tricia819 View Post
I shouldn't feed her adult cat food until she's a year old. If I switch it up and give her one of the other BB kitten formulas, do I have to follow the gradual rule or because it's the same brand it should be okay just to offer a variety?
Best not to feed her dry food, Feeding Your Cat: Know the Basics of Feline Nutrition :: healthy cat diet, making cat food, litter box, cat food, cat nutrition, cat urinary tract health

This website is a favorite of advanced owners, who are feeding a commercial diet, there are very specific websites for feeding raw.

My understanding is: it's the same proteins that should be fed "together" not the same brand.

Did I explain that well enough? Honestly, I was going to start a thread asking about rotation and gradual changes, because I get the impression that many of the more knowledgeable PO fed 2 or 3 different foods every day or two.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2012, 10:53 AM

336 posts, read 859,546 times
Hmmm...that link makes the raw diet look doable. Still time consuming though. Maybe I'll give it a try. I've got to get her healthy enough that I'm not dropping $80 at the vet every two weeks first.

I took her for a follow up today. Her left eye is still milky. The vet says he didn't see any scratches or ulcers, and it doesn't affect her vision so it's likely from a parasite because she didn't get her first kitten vaccinations. It's a type of herpes? I think that's what he said. So she got that vaccination so she wouldn't get it again, and he gave her an ointment with a steroid to (hopefully) shrink the spot. He told me some kittys end up losing the eye from this. I also got her dewormed.

So, we go back in three weeks for the booster, and I figure I'll get her FIV/Leuk test and immunizations then. (Another $80) Then it'll be rabies shots and neutering.

Old 03-16-2012, 10:00 PM

3,712 posts, read 10,416,178 times
yikes! she's a herpes cat?? you do not give a herpes cat a steroid medicine for an eye flareups. that's what makes eye flares such a pita. btw: once a cat has herpes (and around 90% already do) it will always have it. However, in most cats it's dormant and you'd never know it. Cats that 'have more of it' or where it isn't dormant, can have periodic flares in the eyes & upper respiratory.

Did he say anything about giving her L-lysine? that is the standard daily 'med' (it's OTC in the vitamin section, just get a 500mg dose. YOu can either give it in pill ofr or open a gelcap and sprinkle it in the food). Lysine is really good at regular maintenance so they don't get symptomatic (like sneezing big gobs of snot, and constant eye flares and fun stuff like that).

Old 03-18-2012, 11:36 AM

It's for maintenance? If the hydrocortizone ointment doesn't work, what do you give for eye flare ups?

Old 03-18-2012, 03:28 PM

keeping a herpes kitty on lysine lessens the flare-ups. I think William has had maybe 4 in his 14yrs. Usually terramycin ointment (squeeze about an inch of goop in their affected eye as directed). If that doesn't work, there are a couple of very expensive drops you can use. One time I had to use viroptic which needed refrigeration, the $90+ one had to be given every 6 hours. That may have been the one I had to do after his eye surgery (he had a bad sequestrum and the herpes complicated it by not allowing for steroids). The terramycin usually worked.

Are you sure he thinks she's herpes? because you don't use hydrocortisone for a herpes flare, it can make it worse - or (if you're lucky) make it last longer.

terramycin/tetracyline is usually in a yellow & white tube that comes in a yellow box.

Old 03-18-2012, 04:09 PM

8,506 posts, read 16,147,091 times
In my experience with feline herpes there is nothing you can put in the eyes to make it "better".

The l-lysine (the cat should take it all his or her life) helps control flare-ups. If a flare-up should happen, increasing the maintenance dose of the l-lysine for about 2 weeks is usually done. If the flare-up goes into secondary bacterial infection (you do learn to see the difference) then ORAL antibiotic should be used, rather than anything in the eyes.

A herpes flare up just makes the eyes so sensitive, any kind of ointment or drop is likely to cause more discomfort for the cat.

My herpes kitty took clavamox for 14 days when he had a flare up that went into secondary bacterial infection. However after five or six years on the l-lysine, the flare ups stopped going into that secondary bacterial infection, even during times of high stress.

Old 03-18-2012, 08:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catsmom21 View Post
In my experience with feline herpes there is nothing you can put in the eyes to make it "better".
well, it doesn't 'cure' it, but it has helped some of the flares go back dormant. You can't 'cure' herpes - only manage it.

Quote:
My herpes kitty took clavamox for 14 days when he had a flare up that went into secondary bacterial infection.
ah. see, Sweet William can't take clavamox. big note in his file that he had a bad reaction to it. I think he was throwing up constantly with it (but it's been a very long time). But either way, my vet, both ophthalmogists who diagnosed his sequestrum years ago and the one that did his surgery last year, Henry's vet, and my friend from high school who became a vet.. all said never use steroids with a herpes cat.

Old 03-18-2012, 09:04 PM

No, I'm not positive at all. I asked questions, but now I'm not so sure. When we found her she had conjunctivitis in both eyes, an upper respiratory infection, and mild hypothermia. The first vet we took her to gave her eye drops and antibiotics to clear that up. The spot was obvious once he got her eye opened. For follow up we took her to our normal vet. He did a corneal stain, and that's when he said there were no apparent scratches or ulcers. I thought he said he thought it was caused by bacteria (there's Bactrin in the oinment too). He gave her the DCRC vaccine (Perhaps to prevent the upper respiratory infection from becoming the herpes virus?), dewormed her, and gave her Neobacimyx-H (a small white tube/box) for her eye. Both vets told me that some cats end up losing their eye from this, whatever it is.

Old 03-18-2012, 09:46 PM

8,506 posts, read 16,147,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WannaComeHome View Post
well, it doesn't 'cure' it, but it has helped some of the flares go back dormant. You can't 'cure' herpes - only manage it.

ah. see, Sweet William can't take clavamox. big note in his file that he had a bad reaction to it. I think he was throwing up constantly with it (but it's been a very long time). But either way, my vet, both ophthalmogists who diagnosed his sequestrum years ago and the one that did his surgery last year, Henry's vet, and my friend from high school who became a vet.. all said never use steroids with a herpes cat.
Yes, there is no cure for feline herpes. My point about not using treatments in the eye was, his eyes became so sensitive from all the ointments and drops tried by various vets, that he could tolerate nothing in the eyes. There are other oral antibiotics that can be used besides clavamox. By the timemy boy was 8 or 9 he no longer could tolerate clavamox either, but by then he was no longer having secondary infections from flare ups. He did fine on Baytril, (for liver infections)

He was diagnosed and given his treatment plan by a veterinary ophthalmologist at Cornell University Companion Animal Hospital in August 2000.

I agree with you about the steroids. Steroids compromise the immune system, something you definitely don't want to do with a herpes kitty.

Old 03-19-2012, 08:28 AM

yep, for a general antibiotic, William was on orbax after his surgery.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats