Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-19-2012, 02:00 PM

915 posts, read 2,128,305 times

Advertisements

I know dogs are not supposed to have chocolate, and cats can be injured by eating certain houseplants, but what (human) foods are bad for cats? My baby likes creamy peanut butter, but I hesitate to let him have a bit of it before I check if it's safe.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2012, 02:14 PM

169 posts, read 829,134 times
Human Foods to Avoid for Cats - Toxic Foods

5 Human Foods Cats Can Eat : Cat Health 101 : Animal Planet

These both basically state the same thing. The first one goes more into detail on side effects of certain foods. As long as the peanut butter isn't full of sugar I'd say your kitty is ok to eat it Just small amounts obviously.

Old 03-19-2012, 05:00 PM

41,948 posts, read 75,153,734 times
Garlic and onion are two no-nos I can think of right off the top of my head.

My childhood cat begged for ham, turkey, fish and eggs. She was so funny; if you left the table for even a second during dinner and she smelled something yummy, she'd hop up on your chair and look cute, hoping to get a morsel when you returned.

Old 03-19-2012, 05:09 PM

4,918 posts, read 22,675,099 times
Like rockrchick said, there are foods you shouldn;t be feeding pets because they are harmful and there are foods you shouldn;t be feeding your pets because they are not good for them. many human foods are packed with sugars, salts and other stuff our pets really shouldn;t have.

A good way to determin what is and isn't good for your pet is to pick up a can of decent quality cat food. It doesn;t have to be the best, just one recognized as healthy and balanced. Next pick up a container of laundry soap. If the content of the human food have more ingredients listed on the can of cat food, its probably alright. If it has more ingredients listed on the laundry soap, keep it away from your cat. We may choose to eat the garbage food manufactures convince us is safe, but if your cat could read, bet they would be smacking it out of your hand. Since they can;t read (or at least pretend they can;t) avoid giving them anything questionable since there are so many known good things.

Old 03-19-2012, 06:47 PM

3,712 posts, read 11,032,208 times
bones! especially fish or chicken (or fish or chicken that still has any bone in it). While they may need ground up bonemeal for calcium, fish and chicken bones shred when they try to chew them and can easily get stuck or perforate their system.

Old 03-21-2012, 01:24 PM

2,401 posts, read 4,682,578 times
Good thing my kitty is a snob when it comes to food = she won't just eat anything & especially hates veggies of any sort... don't even like catnip.

She is totally a carnivore & have a preference of beef (especially roast beef / a rare cut of steak).
No veggies, no fish (except an occasional tuna) / can seafood type wet.
She loves her raw feedings of mice too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats