Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2013, 10:22 PM

1 posts, read 1,627 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by STT Resident View Post
Let me preface this by explaining that I've been owned by cats all my life which is now over six decades. I've gone through just about everything in the book with the assortment who've passed through my doors and I've dealt with many issues of behavioral peeing, peeing because of infections, etc.

"Jessica" is a 12-13 year old "island Siamese" (a Heinz 57 variety) who's now the eldest of a household of five. She's well adjusted, loving and healthy and has in the past had a couple of incidents of behavioral peeing when a newcomer has joined the crowd but nothing that wasn't easily remedied. Until now.

She usually sleeps on my head. Not the most comfortable spot for me but ... Four times in the last two weeks she's woken up in the wee hours of the morning, jumped out of bed and woken me in the process. She's a bit of a bulldozer. No problem. Off she's gone into the kitchen to get a drink or a snack or to use the litter box and then comes back to bed. However, on these four particular occasions she's leaped onto the top pillow above my head, stopped - and peed all down my neck and back in a steady stream This is not a pleasant experience and my language reaction has been less than savory. She runs off to find a place to hide, I wash myself off, change the bed linens, spray the OdoBan, change my night attire and go back to sleep, waking a few hours later to find her comfortably purring in her usual spot.

I put her on a regimen of oral liquid antibiotics (Clavamox) which is a pretty good cure-all for general infections but that hasn't done the trick and I was once again peed on last night. My longtime vet has always been very good to me about costs since I've been doing a solo feral spay/neuter/release exercise for years but, now on a fixed income, my resources have been severely cut back. I'm thinking that because of Jessica's age this could be a hormonal thing and I know I'm going to have to take her in for a visit to find out what might be going on but I'm curious whether anyone else has gone through anything like this?

Seriously, why on earth can't she go in the litter box or go on the floor - anywhere other than directly on me? Yikes!
I have two cats, both sisters, one-year old. One of them started peeing on me today. She's been peeing at my feet for several days, but this morning and this evening she climbed up on me in bed and peed on my leg, then tonight on my thigh. I was furious with her and immediately jumped up, screamed at her, I'm sick with pneumonia and barely able to move...and now a bed full of pee, no car to go to laundry....and the whole place smells like urine. So now I have a sink and a basin full of clothes soaking in resolve and bleach. I had to bathe her too. I'm sick, crying and so depressed. I don't know what's wrong with her. NO symptoms other than constantly pawing at my arm and crying and wanting to be held...and peeing on and in everything in sight. She will pee on a puppy pad, but WHY WHY WHY is she peeing on me???!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2013, 04:03 AM

7,201 posts, read 14,983,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2CatInVA View Post
I have two cats, both sisters, one-year old. One of them started peeing on me today. She's been peeing at my feet for several days, but this morning and this evening she climbed up on me in bed and peed on my leg, then tonight on my thigh. I was furious with her and immediately jumped up, screamed at her, I'm sick with pneumonia and barely able to move...and now a bed full of pee, no car to go to laundry....and the whole place smells like urine. So now I have a sink and a basin full of clothes soaking in resolve and bleach. I had to bathe her too. I'm sick, crying and so depressed. I don't know what's wrong with her. NO symptoms other than constantly pawing at my arm and crying and wanting to be held...and peeing on and in everything in sight. She will pee on a puppy pad, but WHY WHY WHY is she peeing on me???!!
It sounds like something is WRONG with your cat. This isn't normal behavior. As soon as possible you need to get her to the vet. Perhaps one of your friends can get her there while you're in bed sick.

Old 07-30-2013, 05:46 AM

9,912 posts, read 24,645,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2CatInVA View Post
Need to have her checked by vet for possible infection or other medical problem. This is the most likely cause. I hope you are able to figure out a way to make that happen. Hang in there.

Old 07-30-2013, 06:18 AM

11,276 posts, read 19,556,099 times
2catinVA, your cat is sick. Peeing at your feet for several days was her way of telling you. When you did not do anything for her she upped the urgency of her need, by peeing on you.

There is no point in screaming at her or being furious. She is only trying to communicate with you that she is sick.

Please take her to the vet immediately, or get someone else to do it if you are too ill.

PS are the cats spayed?

Old 09-10-2015, 02:34 AM

1 posts, read 1,051 times
Default Stress, grief, love, calming oils? Opinions please!

My poor 8 year old Siamese mix just lost his two older adoptees in less than 27 days (they are all rescues). He was bereft looking for the first one we had to have put down. 2 days ago the second cat died from loneliness and stress in my arms at home. Now my last cat just started peeing and pooping on bed bed tonight after his 1st vet appointment. I just talked softly to him, pet him, kissed him, and put him by his litter box while I cleaned up. He bolted, terrified of floor now. Finally got him to settle down on bed. I think he is grieving, stressed and poss UTI. Vet part covered. Any suggestions for stress, calming oils, and loving reinforcement would be appreciated PS 1st time he has slept on bed in DAYS! And yes, he is allowed up here.

Old 09-10-2015, 06:43 AM

4,620 posts, read 14,979,764 times
Sorry your Siamese and you are going through all this. You've all had a very hard month.

My first concern is about the second cat who most recently passed away. Although it can be a contributor to an underlying medical issue or cause one (if an animal stops eating for example), no animal (including humans) dies solely because of a broken heart (loneliness and stress). If you can take a private moment (understandably it will be difficult) and replay the last 27+ days ... hindsight can be 20/20 ... maybe there's something that can help explain more about what's going on with your Siamese. Truly stress and grief are part of the picture, but I think there's more perhaps beyond a possible UTI or maybe that is what's going on.

It's doubtful that the Siamese is terrified of the floor. If he doesn't want to be on any floor it has to do with something at floor level. But I suspect it has more to do with something specific that just happens to be on floor level -- the litterbox for example. If he has a urinary infection, he equates the litterbox to pain and will do anything to stay clear of it.

The bed issue has me a little bit confused. Is this the scenario that he's always been allowed there, but hadn't been up there for days? Where had he been instead? Had the bed been his and the others' preferred spot or just theirs or just his? Before he soiled the bed, had you put him on it or did he choose to get on it? Answering these questions might be helpful, for you and the Siamese, to figure out what he actually wants rather than thinking about and doing what it's believed he wants. There's a difference.

Cats are either tree-dwellers or bush-dwellers and seek either high or low places for comfort when they don't feel well (physically or emotionally). Understanding which one your Siamese is is the first step in helping him (maybe he's a tree-dweller and finds no comfort at floor level?). Some cats want to be like Velcro during tough times while others prefer our presence at a distance, and while we think our cats want to be cuddled to assure our love and support, some would prefer that we didn't.

My suggestion to help your cat through this is to let him decide what he needs to do and where he wants to be. Just watch him and let him be your guide. Obviously peeing and pooping outside the litter box isn't acceptable, especially on the bed, so perhaps you could put a new box in a different location for the time being (if the litter box is one of the culprits for his behavior). If he chooses to cuddle, then cuddle. If he wants to just puddle near you, outside of arm's reach, then let him do that and don't reach out. Cats are great mindreaders and absorb what we're thinking and feeling, so your state of mind and body language he'll read and react to better than anything you can buy.

Old 09-10-2015, 09:05 AM

2,977 posts, read 3,919,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emmapeel930 View Post
Any suggestions for stress, calming oils, and loving reinforcement would be appreciated PS 1st time he has slept on bed in DAYS! And yes, he is allowed up here.
Try to stick to your normal routine as much as possible, as cats crave routine.

You could plug in a Feliway diffuser and see if that helps. You can also try Rescue Remedy.

Old 09-10-2015, 12:04 PM

15,128 posts, read 32,307,461 times
This thread is three years old, and I'm sure the problem has been taken care of by now.

Old 09-10-2015, 05:43 PM

9,127 posts, read 9,358,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moved View Post
This thread is three years old, and I'm sure the problem has been taken care of by now.
I think they're answering the newer post from emmapeel930 that bumped up this thread.

Old 09-10-2015, 05:44 PM

10,113 posts, read 19,394,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
We frequently get threads like this. I can't find one but it was here just days ago. Your cat is trying to tell you she is ill. My cat peed on a plastic shopping bag right at my feet and it didn't take me long to realize something was not as it should be. I know money is tight but your girl is telling you something and you should listen. Good luck.

found it:

//www.city-data.com/forum/cats/...inated-me.html

That was my thread, from a few years back.

Boo Boo is acting up again. He's been yowling a lot. He is a "talker" he always likes to yam, but this is different. It sounded like he was in pain. We took him to the vet---a different vet from last time---they did an x-ray, no blood or urine cultures. They said this time his problem was constipation, lots of little, hard "do-dos" in his colon, so they gave him an enema and sent him home on a laxative.

I feel this cat should have been given a senior panel, but he seems ok. I'm thinking of setting up my 3 cats on a yearly checkup + senior panel, and just budget for it, rather than vet care "a-la-carte"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats