Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2015, 05:42 AM

4,620 posts, read 14,979,764 times

Advertisements

moved -- you're right it's an old thread, BUT as catdad7x noted we're giving suggestions to new posts on it.

MaryleeII ... I've just learned a hard lesson about blood work and that it should, nine times out of time, be an "automatic" diagnosis tool when a cat presents symptoms of illness. Two weeks ago I should have insisted on running my cat's blood, but I didn't, and perhaps I wouldn't be where I am today had it been done.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2015, 12:50 PM

11,523 posts, read 14,646,108 times
My cat Bootsie peed right next to my head on the bed one day. Another time, in front of me, at my feet. Both times his blood sugars were quite elevated. He needed his sugars under better control, was a Diabetic--trying to tell me that. Almost always a medical condition.

Old 09-12-2015, 01:58 PM

9,127 posts, read 9,358,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanny Goat View Post
My cat Bootsie peed right next to my head on the bed one day. Another time, in front of me, at my feet. Both times his blood sugars were quite elevated. He needed his sugars under better control, was a Diabetic--trying to tell me that. Almost always a medical condition.
I wish all cat owners would understand this. Cats do not urinate/poop inappropriately because they are mad at you and want to make a point. It's always due to some medical issue, or an issue with the litter box/litter type/location, or territorial or stress related. It's actually the best way they have to tell us something is wrong... provided we're knowledgeable enough & paying attention to what they're telling us.

Old 09-12-2015, 07:01 PM

10,113 posts, read 19,394,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanny Goat View Post
We lost a dear cat to diabetes, about 2 years ago. He was about 15 years old, and acted fine. Nothing out of the ordinary, until all of a sudden he started vomiting a clear/white thin fluid, and staggering. We took him to the ER, but it was too late, he died from diabetes. By the time we got Marshmallow there, his blood glucose was 3000+, and his organs were all in failure mode. They said there was a lot they could do, but it would just prolong the problems, not solve them, so, we opted to have him PTS. I loved that sweet baby so much I still feel tears now as I type this.

I just decided you simply have to stay on top of your pets' health, get senior panels if they are elderly, simply budget for it, set aside X amount/month for an annual physical. Just like you get your oil changed every 3000 miles

Old 09-13-2015, 06:24 PM

29,507 posts, read 22,620,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by catdad7x View Post
I wish all cat owners would understand this. Cats do not urinate/poop inappropriately because they are mad at you and want to make a point. It's always due to some medical issue, or an issue with the litter box/litter type/location, or territorial or stress related. It's actually the best way they have to tell us something is wrong... provided we're knowledgeable enough & paying attention to what they're telling us.
It's good to read this thread, to let cat owners/lovers know these things. I've never had a cat that did that, usually if they were sick they'd go hide somewhere to be alone. So I would have never thought that a cat would do things like pee on you to get help for being sick. I'm sure many a cat owner has believed that an ill cat goes off to be by themselves.

Also, animals including people can die of a broken heart, since it was mentioned in this thread that this is not possible.

You really CAN die of a broken heart: Losing a loved one doubles the risk of heart failure or stroke | Daily Mail Online

Yes, You Can Die From a Broken Heart - ABC News

So can a dog really die of a broken heart? | Daily Mail Online

Old 09-13-2015, 06:54 PM

3,671 posts, read 3,552,551 times
You are right Suburban.
My childhood dog (named Puppy by large family) had a companion named Mother. She was the older of the two,
and in 1982, I had come home to visit, when Mother became ill and died in the back yard under a large rubber tree.

Puppy laid under that tree for three weeks, and promptly dies. A much younger dog, even though we would pick him up and place in house, try to get him to eat and drink, he refused, and went right back to the spot Mother had died on.

Puppy dies of broken heart.

Old 09-14-2015, 03:51 PM

9,127 posts, read 9,358,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
It's good to read this thread, to let cat owners/lovers know these things. I've never had a cat that did that, usually if they were sick they'd go hide somewhere to be alone. So I would have never thought that a cat would do things like pee on you to get help for being sick. I'm sure many a cat owner has believed that an ill cat goes off to be by themselves.

Also, animals including people can die of a broken heart, since it was mentioned in this thread that this is not possible.

You really CAN die of a broken heart: Losing a loved one doubles the risk of heart failure or stroke | Daily Mail Online

Yes, You Can Die From a Broken Heart - ABC News

So can a dog really die of a broken heart? | Daily Mail Online
Some cats, if not most, will do that as well when they're very sick or in a lot of pain. I've seen that a few times myself. Cats are known to change habits & behaviors on a whim, and usually means very little. But suddenly being reclusive and staying hidden for long periods of time (rejecting food, water, attention, etc.) is a red flag that something is wrong, Inappropriate urinating is also a sign something is wrong, but perhaps not yet to the point of being sick enough to go hide.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats