U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2012, 05:00 AM

112 posts, read 250,756 times

Advertisements

Someone told me the milk from the frocery store isnt good for cats but i thought people have been giving cats milk for ages. Whats the truth about this? Thanks ahead of time
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2012, 05:19 AM

1,280 posts, read 6,725,823 times
Cats and Milk: Lactose Intolerance and Other Dietary Concerns

Many cats don't make enough of the enzyme that breaks down milk once they become adults. Giving them milk can cause GI upset.

Old 03-27-2012, 06:37 AM

7,329 posts, read 15,259,702 times
I'll sometimes give my cats a teaspoonful of milk as a treat, and they handle that OK, but more would probably bother them. Nutritionally it's not the right balance for a cat or kitten, so it shouldn't be fed as a real part of their diet.

Old 03-27-2012, 06:52 AM

5,614 posts, read 5,374,634 times
No, they don't really ever need it. It is not biologically appropriate for their species nor is it an obligate carnivore's diet. I'm not sounding hard line here, just saying it may upset (as was said) the GI which isn't worth it, nor makes sense to chance it -- as they don't need it anyway.

Old 03-27-2012, 06:55 AM

16,561 posts, read 14,685,774 times
Cats need to avoid lactose, so if you give them milk be sure it is lactose-free (Lactaid).
You can buy special milk made just for cats and kittens! It is sold in the supermarket, near the cat foods. It is sold in 4-packs of little purple boxes and the brand name is Whiskas.
It contains taurine, which is important for your cat's eyes and heart.

http://www.whiskas.com/meal_time/sna...d/sf_milk.aspx

Old 03-27-2012, 09:15 AM

9,918 posts, read 22,926,401 times
There's no health reason to give milk, although many cats might enjoy a little as a treat. But most cats are lactose intolerant, as mentioned. So you can get either something like Lactaid or the cat-specific milk which comes in little shelf-stable packages that you find in the pet food section of grocery stores. I buy the other brand called Cat-Sip.

In the summer especially try freezing this in an ice cube tray, then giving a cube of the milk in a little bowl. Amber loves these frozen treats.

Old 03-27-2012, 09:23 AM

3 posts, read 4,668 times
Usually,shouldn't be given,as it causes severe diarrhea. However, a few of my cats were just fine with it. The OTC feline milk is VERY expensive,but is an alternative. I always felt that if they were given moist food twice a day,and always had dry food and water at their station,they were well-fed. Most of my cats lived 17-27 YES 27 years,and weighed from 11-22 pounds,so I guess they did OK!

Old 03-27-2012, 04:24 PM

13,251 posts, read 40,583,882 times
Actually, -raw- milk, and fermented milk or milk with bacteria added (such as yoghurt and certain cheeses) can be much more readily tolerated by cats than pasteurized/homogenized milk. That is where the idea of feeding milk to cats came from - from the farms, where most farms also have barn cats to keep the rodent population at a minimum. It's typical to give the cats some of the raw milk when milking the cows and/or goats, because they really enjoy it.

It's still not a good idea to provide milk as a primary source of moisture though, or as a main part of a meal for them. Best to use it as a treat, in small amounts (a teaspoon of milk, unflavored/unsweetened yogurt, unsweetened kefir, or a pinch of shredded cheddar cheese, or similar.

Old 03-27-2012, 07:55 PM

6,591 posts, read 23,608,034 times
think about it this way...when was the last time you saw a cat milking a cow?

true whole RAW milk and GOOD yogurt (not the additive filled junk but good unswetend natureal yoghurt) wont upset the dietary system as bad as pasturized (store bought) milk will, but generally cats arnt designed to drink milk beyond their kittenhood...and even then there designed to drink milk from cats not cows lol.

Goats milk is easier to digest for all animals, but still they dont need it.

Old 03-27-2012, 08:07 PM

9,918 posts, read 22,926,401 times
Heh, yeah, now that you mention it I've seen pints or quarts of frozen goat's milk sold in some of the pet stores.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats