Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2012, 12:25 PM

2,087 posts, read 4,283,470 times

Advertisements

[quote=leanansidhex;23771433]I wasn't looking for anything to do with Wellness last night.

I was looking into Clembuterol contaminated and poisoned meat from, and in China, based on an article from a trade industry website.

While researching Clembuterol in animal feed, I ended up on the FDA website, and Wellness was there, on the page I opened up, so I clicked on it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
If you don't do even the minimum of research (a google search and skimming a wiki article would be a minimum), and post only what you read in one article, without even checking to see if it's biased..and present it as "HEY LOOK HERE THIS IS SERIOUS"...then you are doing people a disservice, you're not being helpful at all.
I don't think any PO at CD cats forum, that know my posting history, even those that don't particularly care for me, could realistically suggest that I "don't do even the minimum of research" .

The reason I even saw the FDA, repeat FDA website posting, was because I was researching Clembuterol in animal feed, based on one article, looking for more information before deciding whether to post the information or not.

Since I haven't had time to finish researching my original "find" ... I have not posted anything concerning Clembuterol contamination in animals used for consumption.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2012, 03:01 PM

1,758 posts, read 5,490,423 times
Leanansidhex,
I understood your OP. I found you to be quite clear with the quotes, links, and dates you provided.

Old 04-11-2012, 02:54 PM

2,807 posts, read 7,582,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lola4 View Post
Leanansidhex,
I understood your OP. I found you to be quite clear with the quotes, links, and dates you provided.
Agreed!

There's nothing wrong with voicing concerns, regardless of timing. Many people feed Wellness, either not knowing about the recall even though it was pretty highly publicized, or thinking it's safe now that time has passed. Many of us feel it simply isn't safe anymore, period.
I'm one of them.
I wouldn't feed this stuff to my cats if you paid me.

That being said, I do think it's a good idea to feed a variety of foods to our four-legged friends, that way if one thing is tainted or lacking in something, at the least it will do less damage, and in a best-case scenario it would do little to no damage. Plus, I'm sure they prefer variety...mine sure seem to love that aspect a lot .

Old 04-11-2012, 06:51 PM

11,276 posts, read 19,556,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ouijeewoman View Post
Information is information---whether it is old or current. Just because it is history doesn't mean it has no relevance. What if everyone felt that way? Would that mean, for example, that WW11 is no longer relevant without "current" information to support it?

I truly appreciate the efforts that posters take on here to pass along information. I just don't get why it is such a negative thing for you. If it helps just one person prevent illness or death for their cat...what is wrong with that?

Quote:
Originally Posted by leanansidhex View Post
The Title of the thread is: Were YOU Aware of THESE Facts in the Weeks Following the Feb 28 2011 Wellness Voluntary Recall?

WERE YOU - FEB 28 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lola4 View Post
Leanansidhex,

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvmycat View Post
Agreed!

There's nothing wrong with voicing concerns, regardless of timing. Many people feed Wellness, either not knowing about the recall even though it was pretty highly publicized, or thinking it's safe now that time has passed. Many of us feel it simply isn't safe anymore, period.
I'm one of them.
I wouldn't feed this stuff to my cats if you paid me.

That being said, I do think it's a good idea to feed a variety of foods to our four-legged friends, that way if one thing is tainted or lacking in something, at the least it will do less damage, and in a best-case scenario it would do little to no damage. Plus, I'm sure they prefer variety...mine sure seem to love that aspect a lot .

Old 04-11-2012, 07:23 PM

13,250 posts, read 42,766,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leanansidhex View Post
The Title of the thread is: Were YOU Aware of THESE Facts in the Weeks Following the Feb 28 2011 Wellness Voluntary Recall?

WERE YOU - FEB 28 2011
Yes, I was. Were you aware that the recall was for many millions of cans more than were actually sold? Were you -also- aware that almost all of the cans that -were- sold, were either not consumed at all, OR consumed by cats whose owners had no complaints about the food at all?

Were you also aware that there has been no lack of thiamine reported either by Wellness, or the FDA, or any consumers in the Wellness brand since that recall a year ago?

Are you posting just to lecture us all about cat food trivia? Or are you posting to warn us away from a brand that hasn't had any problems for over a year, and when they -did- have a problem, it was addressed immediately?

Afterall, problems with cat food is a HUGE HUGE HUGE hot button here on the cat forum. You can't go two days without seeing a new thread about it, or seeing a continuing thread about it. So when you bring up a recall from more than year ago, you had to know that you'd be pushing some serious buttons. I'm curious as to why you felt it necessary to do that.

Old 04-11-2012, 07:51 PM

9,912 posts, read 24,645,588 times
Is there a particular reason why you feel Wellness deserves this defense Anon or is it just the particular messenger in question here? Maybe you challenge anything that looks like scare mongering on a variety of topics, don't know.

I don't particularly feel a need to defend the company against this being year-old info. Wellness is plenty big enough to weather whatever's happening. Some people who read this very forum still feed Wellness, and I'm sure others swore it off after the recall and would tell everyone not to use it. This thread isn't likely to sway too many others either way.

I am unsure if this one particular action by this manufacturer is worthy of any significant credit. To me it is mainly overshadowed by the fact that pet food manufacturers in general have a pretty dismal record on a wide variety of issues and thus one should take the time to learn about them and decide where their comfort level lies.

Old 04-11-2012, 08:02 PM

2,401 posts, read 4,682,095 times
That is why my kitty is fed "varied diet" method.

She gets a combo of more than 4 types in brands in foods per day...
1 brand (rotated from various brands) wet cat food,
3-4 mixed dry kibbles from different brands (Maxx, Royal Canine, Nutro, Avoderm, TOTW, Iam healthy naturals... etc.)
Then she gets an occasional raw feed in mice / mole and or home cooked foods.

"Varied diet" may be a little expensive due to smaller bag buys but it gives my kitty "choices to choose" what her body "needs". Like a pregnant woman would.

P.S. My kitty turn her nose on blue & wellness... she is totally a carnivore & tolerate little to no veggies. She does not even like catnip... so go figure.

Old 04-11-2012, 08:25 PM

2,401 posts, read 4,682,095 times
You know even us humans gets sick of eating a single type food or a single brand products when served day in day out... same every single day.

Eg. say eat at McDonalds every single day even if it is different foods... you'll still be tired of it & probably OD on that same smell & taste / after taste.. KWIM????

If we could choose something different... if you love the cat as you would yourself... give the kitty that option to "choose" too... therefore, don't just feed a single brand of product!!! Even if it may be more expensive... give kitty the varied choice. Not just Wellness or Blue... that single solitary brand kitty has no choice but to eat.

Spoil the kitty... give her that buffet in small varied amounts like her "natural true diet" is since the ancient times wayyy before "can foods" or that mass produced foods.

Thus I am no stickler to any single brand...
I like to feed raw though... good healthy teeth.

Old 04-11-2012, 11:52 PM

2,087 posts, read 4,283,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
Yes, I was.

Are you posting just to lecture us all about cat food trivia? Or are you posting to warn us away from a brand that hasn't had any problems for over a year, and when they -did- have a problem, it was addressed immediately?

Afterall, problems with cat food is a HUGE HUGE HUGE hot button here on the cat forum. You can't go two days without seeing a new thread about it, or seeing a continuing thread about it. So when you bring up a recall from more than year ago, you had to know that you'd be pushing some serious buttons. I'm curious as to why you felt it necessary to do that.
Were YOU Aware of THESE Facts in the Weeks Following the Feb 28 2011 Wellness Voluntary Recall?

That's my reason for posting, to ask others their recollections from that time.

You obviously understood, at least part of the question, since you answered "Yes I was"

[quote=leanansidhex;23763596]Cans of Wellness Core Cat Food were also recalled.

The TOTAL number of cans recalled. (The Answer is at the bottom of this post.)

"The [Wellness] recalls on this list are primarily Class I."

Wellness was classified as a Class I recall (the highest classification) yet the FDA did not, to My knowledge, alert the news media. I never heard Anything about a Wellness recall on t.v., radio or in print, i.e. newspaper.
Did You?

When you read the following (and I know not everyone will see what I'm getting at, probably since it was only cats, and not people, that could end up with serious adverse health consequences, or dead) but, the words "serious hazard" and "widely distributed" stand out. (How widely? The Answer is at the End of this post)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
From the FDA Website: FDA 101: Product Recalls - From First Alert to Effectiveness Checks

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
FROM the FDA Website: They posted the PRESS release from Wellness LLC, Including, the folksy comment from "pet parent" himself, Tim Callahan, chief executive officer of WellPet.

And yet I don't know anyone, including two veterinarians, that saw an email alert from the FDA on Feb 28 2011.

Was anyone who is reading this, signed up for recall information from the FDA during that time period? and did you receive an email from the FDA alerting you to this recall?
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

This was my other question, about FDA Alerts.

As for "pushing buttons" ... you're the Only person that posted whose buttons got pushed and I can assure you I wasn't thinking about you when I started this thread.
-

Old 04-12-2012, 05:35 AM

13,250 posts, read 42,766,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greg42 View Post
Is there a particular reason why you feel Wellness deserves this defense Anon or is it just the particular messenger in question here? Maybe you challenge anything that looks like scare mongering on a variety of topics, don't know.

I don't particularly feel a need to defend the company against this being year-old info. Wellness is plenty big enough to weather whatever's happening. Some people who read this very forum still feed Wellness, and I'm sure others swore it off after the recall and would tell everyone not to use it. This thread isn't likely to sway too many others either way.

I am unsure if this one particular action by this manufacturer is worthy of any significant credit. To me it is mainly overshadowed by the fact that pet food manufacturers in general have a pretty dismal record on a wide variety of issues and thus one should take the time to learn about them and decide where their comfort level lies.
It's the scare-mongering and bully tactics that I advocate against. The "you are a bad cat owner and should be shot if you declaw." The "cats are obligate carnivores you must feed them raw meats and taurine only or else you are bad bad bad!" This brand is horrible because they had a recall a year ago, Purina doesn't *care* about YOUR cat (really? Of course Purina doesn't care about _your_ cat. Purina hasn't ever met your cat).

If we were to take the bullies to heart and follow their advice on every issue, we would all move to an area where a holistic veterinarian lives, because flying kitty is cruel and driving is too far. We would all feed our cats only raw plump fresh animals that are grass-fed or free-range with no antibiotics, and so on and so forth.

Like it or not, there -are- some people who read city-data, who are easily influenced by anything they read on the internet. There -are- suckers. And there -are- targets waiting to be bullied into submission. I post as a balance.

Yes, Wellness had a recall. Yes, some cats got sick. I don't dispute this at all, I acknowledge it. Yes, it's important to understand that your pet needs the best food you can afford to give them, and that raw meats with taurine added is going to be the best there is, and there's a heirarchy of all the other foods going down to Keloggs Rice Krispies as an example of the absolute worst - with Purina's brands somewhere above Rice Krispies on the list.

But bringing attention to Wellness, which has had -no- problems in over a year, is nothing more then scare-mongering and bully tactics. And it's the scare-mongering and bully tactics that disgusts me, and inspires me to post.

My cat doesn't get Wellness brand, because she didn't like the three varieties I've tried for her so far and I'm not wasting more money trying a brand she doesn't like. So I have nothing to gain by warning people to -not- take some guy's post warning them about a recall from over a year ago too seriously.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats