Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2012, 08:34 AM

35 posts, read 68,756 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone.

I have put down a deposit on a siamese kitty. Father is a seal point (but has chocolate point in him) and mother is a blue point. I picked out the little runt of the litter, and she sent me photos of her at 6 weeks of age...

Breeder says its hard to tell what color they will be until they are older. However the suspense is killing me. What does everyone think?

(Im hoping she will be a chocolate or seal point- our last kitten was a seal point, and the light of our life- best friends with our 5.5lb dog Remy- they slept together spooning each other, eat together and played all day long. Upon getting spayed, her heart stopped. They were unable to revive her- she had a heart condition, and nothing could have been done. After mourning for some time, we are now looking for a new addition to our family).

Thank you so much for your help!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2012, 09:41 AM

575 posts, read 1,995,302 times
That doesn't look like a siamese ... That kitten is very fluffy and it's head type is VERY round to be a siamese!! A breeder should be able to tell you what color pretty early on. But it looks chocolate to me - the seals / naturals are usually a tad darker.

I would love to know your breeder and see the parents. That kitten is surly cute but I would put money that it's a mixed breed

Old 04-28-2012, 09:53 AM

6,591 posts, read 24,851,089 times
to me...ALL american bred siams look weird LOL...in the UK the "wedge" head or "modern" siamese is the norm and the applehead type are NOT considered true siamese, i know i know the apple breeders say that thiers is the TRUE siamese, but i always grew up knowing the "apple head" as a Thai, and the Wedge head as a Siam...

anywho...i agree, goat isMUCH too fluffy to be a trie siames no matter what head type is your preference...
a balinese or javanese would have a fluffier coat (its essentially a long haired siamese) but id be warey of nayone advertising long haired kittens as siams...pure siams CAN produce the long haired kittens as a genetic mutation but if thats what ALL the breeders kittens look like i woudlnt be paying them "pure bred" prices.

that being said, i do agree, chocolate rather than seal, im fairly fertian its not a blue point, too dark overall, and doesnt seem quite dark enough to be a seal...
Adorable either way but i dunno about it being a true siam kitten, id want to see the pedigrees on the parents.

ALOT of people advertise ANY mixed breed kitten born with points (siamese like markings) as siamese, even if theres NO siam blood in the kitten, if its marked likea meezer its ussually advertised as one based on color not liniage so please use caution if this is a breeder and your paying for your kittne, get the peds and pics of the kittens parents.
and in that last picture she looks more Birman than Siam...

Old 04-28-2012, 10:01 AM

Here are the parents:

I love the Wedge, but my husband- he loves Applehead.
We do NOT want a long coat siamese, thats for sure. I do have the pedigree on the parents, but the father is listed as Chocolate- however to me he is a dead seal point. Our last siamese was a seal point, she was slightly darker at that age. But she was just as fluffy i found if i look back on the photos of her at that age- as she turned about 8 weeks her hair fluffed down.

Old 04-28-2012, 10:09 AM

575 posts, read 1,995,302 times
I agree on the applehead vs. "modern" wedge head points. I prefer the apples myself - though you'll get so many that disagree.

The darker parent looks Siamese but the lighter parent is questionable IMHO - he/she actually looks a lot like my Tonkinese.

I'm certainly not trying to negate your lovely kitten - and papers are papers - however some lines are better and look more typical of their breed. All depends on what your desires are At the end of it all if you're not going to show - all you care about is a cute and healthy baby.

Old 04-28-2012, 11:21 AM

Kittymom, I would never think you were negating the validity of my kitten. But what if i were to tell you i had suspicions of the mother as well?

I thought she looked like Tonkinese as well.

Being a bigger fan of the Wedge head- i like them thin, while my husband likes the 'cuddly' (he calls it). The main difference is that the tonkinese have a more stout appearance, and a little larger eyes? Is that correct?

Our last Siamese passed away while being spayed, she had heart complications (Cardiomyopathy). We were devistated. From that point I swore to investigate every breeder and make sure she was healthy. But in doing so, started to drive myself insane with the details.

Old 04-28-2012, 11:51 AM

7,201 posts, read 14,983,104 times
Default Are the parnets champions or show cats?

The kitten is beautiful. Buy her for her own sake and don't worry about her pedigree since you don't want to show or breed her. You might want to ask if her parents have been cleared of any known Siamese health issues though and check the pedigree to see if she's inbred.

I would suspect the bottom cat is not a pure Siamese or a Siamese at all. I want you to know as a Craigslist junkie I learned (through the CL grapevine) that people are watching and adopting common cats advertised there who are "pointed" like the Siamese. I see them there regularly, born into litters of common house cats and given away for free. Blue eye mutation included. There are people who watch the list and adopt these pointed kittens. They will then breed them together and sell the kittens as purebreds. Fake papers are easy enough to get on the cat breeding underground or they use papers of deceased or lost cats. Be very careful unless you know the breeder and they show their cats in cat shows.

If you're paying for a cat avoid the backyard breeders (have one or two cats to breed and don't show them) because the don't worry about genetic faults, even if potentially fatal, or temperament. Backyard cat breeders are every bit as bad as backyard dog breeders.

BTW, how well do you know the person selling her?

Old 04-28-2012, 12:42 PM

The parents are not show cats that i know of at all.

I did a long search for siamese on the internet. I got a hold of 6 breeders. I found her on ebay classifieds advertising Purebred Applehead Siamese. This breeder responded to my questions, and was willing to answer my questions- although i guess i could of asked more questions. She also offered for me to drive out to see the small kittens and meet the parents a week ago. Other breeders were just saying 'i need a deposit to hold a cat for you'- which i thought was rude.

She immediately showed me pictures of the kittens on hand, the parents, and now sent me more pictures of the one girl i was interested in. She told me the weight of both the male and female (8lbs and 6lbs) and verified over email that the parents were negative for feline lukemia.

I have spoken to her once, and emailed a few times.

I dont know her personally. I will be driving out to pick the kitty up, its a 8 hour drive time round trip. We are looking for a companion, a family member, a best friend for our 5.5lb Chorkie (brown and tan) dog who thinks he is a cat, so being 'perfect' is not needed, but for a 15-20 year commitment, I want to make sure she is what we expect. (not that I wont love her no matter what- our cat before was a grey and white that looked like a bengal I found in a parking lots when it was 5 weeks old- he turned into a 17lb tom cat who had a 7-8 foot vertical jump).

Old 04-28-2012, 01:15 PM

36,499 posts, read 54,051,718 times
isn't the fact that these cats are not being shown make the breeders backyard breeders? A professional breeder wants to keep her breed pure and to hold a good reputation they need to be shown.

also every real breeder I've ever heard of had professional pictures made and a real website. Maybe I'm being picky but I see red flags all over the place. The first darker cat definitely looks siamese but the lower lighter cat does not.

Be careful.- cute kitty but I'm guessing it is not cheap. If you think you are buying a pure breed siamese that is what you should be getting.

Old 04-28-2012, 02:33 PM

7,201 posts, read 14,983,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
isn't the fact that these cats are not being shown make the breeders backyard breeders? A professional breeder wants to keep her breed pure and to hold a good reputation they need to be shown.
Yes, they would be considered BYBs. And non-BYBs don't sell on places like Ebay and Craigslist or to pet stores.

Quote:
also every real breeder I've ever heard of had professional pictures made and a real website. Maybe I'm being picky but I see red flags all over the place. The first darker cat definitely looks siamese but the lower lighter cat does not.
I agree. I think most people would. Being "pointed" doesn't make a cat Siamese. Buying from BTBs just encourages them to breed more such cats (or dogs).

Quote:
Be careful.- cute kitty but I'm guessing it is not cheap. If you think you are buying a pure breed siamese that is what you should be getting.
The OP really needs to find a breeder who also shows her/his Siamese. The OP needs to see the pedigrees and see how far back she finds champions or inbreeding and to see that the cats are all clear of both FIV and FeLV. Legitimate breeders asking for a deposit to hold a kitten isn't considered rude by any means. It only shows the buyer is sincere and not just "window shopping" as many people are. Probably every cat and dog breeder out there has held kittens or pups when they first started out, just to find the so-called buyer never comes for the kitten/pup when it was weaned and ready to go. A deposit means the buyer is serious and if the buyer doesn't come for the kit, that deposit is used to advertise it again and covers the food etc. until it's sold.

I think a lot of people don't realize that every short haired pointed kit with blue eyes they see may not be a Siamese, that both parents can be common barn cats. It's a mutation that seems to be more common than I ever realized myself, or perhaps the barn and alleycats do have a pointed blue eyed ancestor somewhere in their backgrounds.

That kitten is beautiful and appealing but I personally wouldn't pay more than $100 to $125 for her as I don't believe that cat in the bottom pic is a purebred Siamese.

Last edited by =^..^=; 04-28-2012 at 02:41 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats