Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2012, 01:45 AM

21,695 posts, read 28,305,050 times

Advertisements

There is a ledge outside my window which is only about three feet from the ground. Recently a fierce little tabby has begun jumping up on it and looking inside.

The trouble is, if my cat is sitting there he will hiss, and growl and bang the window when he sees her. But it doesn't end there. If I come to the window he does the same thing when he sees me.

But today, I was walking along the side of the building at the edge of the back yard and there he was in my path. I was actually frightened. I was afraid he would come after me.

He walked towards me and I stood perfectly still. Then he began to meow. When he was about six inches away, he began rolling around the ground purring. He wanted me to pet him!

I said to him "I thought you didn't like me!"

Then I thought maybe it's a trap and he is luring me into an attack. Well, not really but it did cross my mind. I didn't bend down to pet him but instead just walked around him; in a large half circle.

When I returned he was sitting there but did not approach. He just stared at me.

Yikes! He is a little guy but he may as well be a tiger. I worry when the warm weather comes he will rip out the screen and come inside. I don't think I have ever been afraid of a cat before. I would love to know what is going on in his feline mind.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2012, 04:19 AM

15,701 posts, read 16,949,464 times
I think he wants you to give him a home.

Old 04-30-2012, 11:59 AM

2,186 posts, read 4,544,809 times
He has probably seen or smelled your cat and knows there is another cat in the area. He is just being curious and your cat is defending his territory. The outside kitty is obviously someone's pet and your house is probably on his route - but, like Annie53 said - he maybe just wants YOU to give him a home.

P.S. I don't have a degree on cat stuff (duh!!) but this could be the reason...or not....

Old 04-30-2012, 12:25 PM

17,608 posts, read 22,512,090 times
He probably thinks your his Mama.....heehee.....

Old 04-30-2012, 12:40 PM

30,110 posts, read 23,499,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minervah View Post
There is a ledge outside my window which is only about three feet from the ground. Recently a fierce little tabby has begun jumping up on it and looking inside.

The trouble is, if my cat is sitting there he will hiss, and growl and bang the window when he sees her. But it doesn't end there. If I come to the window he does the same thing when he sees me.

But today, I was walking along the side of the building at the edge of the back yard and there he was in my path. I was actually frightened. I was afraid he would come after me.

He walked towards me and I stood perfectly still. Then he began to meow. When he was about six inches away, he began rolling around the ground purring. He wanted me to pet him!

I said to him "I thought you didn't like me!"

Then I thought maybe it's a trap and he is luring me into an attack. Well, not really but it did cross my mind. I didn't bend down to pet him but instead just walked around him; in a large half circle.

When I returned he was sitting there but did not approach. He just stared at me.

Yikes! He is a little guy but he may as well be a tiger. I worry when the warm weather comes he will rip out the screen and come inside. I don't think I have ever been afraid of a cat before. I would love to know what is going on in his feline mind.
A cat is not going to expose itself to set up a trap, they are far too vulnerable and they know it. He really did want you to pet him and there would not have been an attack.

This cat wants you to give him a place to live, he has picked you.

Old 04-30-2012, 12:59 PM

7,329 posts, read 16,339,298 times
Maybe next time you see him, you could sit down and ignore him and see if he comes to be petted. I'd be a little leery of the rolling around showing the tummy too. My female cat loves me, but even I am NOT allowed to touch the tummy, ever. She lies down and rubs her back on the floor and shows it to me, but I know better than to take it as an invitation. That would be a serious, scratchworthy offense. (My oldest boy loves a tummy rub more than anything. Sometimes when he's really getting into it he kneads his paws in the air. Patty stares at him like he's lost his mind.)

Old 04-30-2012, 02:41 PM

My cat just sits and watches him as if she thinks he is nuts. She has always gotten along with other kitties and I think this one is a puzzle. He does that when she isn't there and he sees me.

I am sure he has an owner. He looks well fed and healthy although he doesn't have a collar. I can't take him in because I am only allowed one cat in my apartment and I really don't want another. I don't want to turn him over to the humane society because I am really certain he is someone's pet, probably someone new to the neighbhorhood because I know most of the kitties who live around here.

Maybe one day when I am sitting on my doorstep and he approaches, I will try to pet him.

Old 04-30-2012, 03:19 PM

30,110 posts, read 23,499,354 times
Well you're not supposed to rub the exposed belly, that's a sign of aggression to a cat. But if they roll over and expose it, pet them along their back or their head.

Old 04-30-2012, 03:43 PM

7,329 posts, read 16,339,298 times
True, but with Patty if you even move your hand in her general direction when she's showing her tummy...she is Not Pleased.

Old 04-30-2012, 03:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
Well you're not supposed to rub the exposed belly, that's a sign of aggression to a cat. But if they roll over and expose it, pet them along their back or their head.
I don't think anyone has told that to my Gracie.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats