Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-02-2012, 06:28 PM

3,401 posts, read 13,374,452 times

Advertisements

Nothing screams economic depression more then sad kitties.

Times are tight for everyone these days. Chris and I had a few hiccups with some financial difficulties spring up this past month. As a result, it's a little tight! We're rationing toilet paper. We're on a $50 a month food budget. We're rotating cars for who gets better gas mileage until friday just to try to get to work. We're texting, till we can turn our phones back on. We're eating a lot of PB & J for dinners. And we're saying our prayers every night.

Just long enough for the paychecks to come in.
Seems like that's the game everyone's playing.

But nothing struck home harder then the day I had to leave for work, and apologize to the kitties that I would pick up food on my way home from work, and be back as soon as possible! With a kiss on the face and a pat on the butt, I was off, leaving them to nap their hunger pains away (lol) for the day.

I came home with with dinner for all of us. Four very hungry ecstatic kitties meet me at the door with assault hugs and headbutts. I bent down first thing and filled their bowls - and they all come running and dive in.

Spot (the manly hunter farm cat) chows down without a care in the world.
Kirby (the baby) munches happily next to Uncle Spot, watching him while they eat.
Moo slinks over and starts eating politely from the side of the bowl.

Cinders storms over there to investigate.... tries out the different looking food, (they must be able to tell from the bag) and wrinkles up her nose, looks over at me and wails, and gives me the most pitiful look, and slowly walks away. She made it such a point to alert me to her empty food bowl before I left for work earlier that day. I promised her I would be back with food and everything would be okay! Now she just sits there across the room and stares at me and sighs.

How do you sit down and explain to your cat that these are hard times? And that, with every corner I cut to make sure everyone is taken care of, I HAD to substitute their regular food, with another brand? I found myself trying to reason with her, and rationalize, full of shame from the withering look she cast on me. "I know it's not the normal food, honey. This is just for a little bit, I promise."

I give her an extra special hug, silently wish that she would just go over and try out the "imposter food", and leave the room to go get changed. It's not till I get to the bedroom and I'm alone, that I break down and cry. I feel like a failure as a mommy. Shouldering the burden when money is tight is my responsibility, something that, as a parent, shouldn't have a trickle-down effect to my little ones. We don't go out anymore. We cook very sparingly inside, and value our time together much more. I sit down on the livingroom floor with my little bowl of warm soapy water, and do a lot of flea-combing and grooming. (we call it kitty-spa-time), since I haven't been able to pick up my usual 4 doses of the Advantage flea treatments for this month. They love it. And we spend the evenings counting our blessings, rather than pining away over what others have, or what we used to have. And in turn, we grow closer as a family.

I know they're just cats. But they are my little cat family. I'm doing everything I can to shield them from the hell we've been going through the past few weeks. They're safe. They're warm. They're not starving. Their litterboxes are clean and fresh, and they have all the love in the world when I'm home to smother them with.

We're keeping our heads above water. And that alone, is enough to keep me going. We've just got to make it till next friday. I think. With no more car problems

Forgive me for venting on you guys. My money problems are no greater than anyone else's that may be reading this. They are most definitely more dire than I have ever been exposed to, though. And with the responsibility of 4 very precious kitties, I feel the weight of the world on me right now, and the urgency has been amped up a bit more than it would normally.

Thanks for being my sounding board. You keep me sane.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2012, 10:12 PM

2,873 posts, read 5,854,517 times
A few weeks ago I was laid off from my job of five years, so I can very much empathize. I'm very worried the company itself will be closing soon, which will mean I can't Cobra my health insurance. Big worries abound for far too many people these days.

Could you perhaps try buying a can of low salt chicken broth to moisten up the food for a few days and make it more appealing? I know that's just an added expense, but cats don't know the difference between Swanson broth and store brand.

Sincerely, big hugs and full sympathy to you. Don't feel guilty...you do the best you can with what you've got. That's what being responsible means...it wouldn't be responsible to purchase what you can't afford and have even less in the end.

Old 05-02-2012, 10:33 PM

3,751 posts, read 7,676,737 times
Kitty will eventually give in to the 'imposter' food.
I change brands for my cat most of the time and she is usually not picky. But the last bag I got, she apparently did not like. She would take a couple bites and come up to me with that 'I want my bowl filled' look. She got over it.
A can of broth is a good idea, anything cheap to make it appealing.

Old 05-03-2012, 04:42 AM

7,201 posts, read 15,002,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marylandkitten View Post
Nothing screams economic depression more then sad kitties.

Times are tight for everyone these days.
Back in the 80s when things were very tight after a divorce and move, I saved money several ways. I used a washline instead of the dryer. I washed dishes by hand rather than use the dishwasher. I gave up cable TV. I used coupons at the supermarket and mostly bought what was on sale. I grew a garden and so supplied some of my food during the warm months (tomatoes, squash, peppers, okra, cucumbers etc). I stopped all magazine subscriptions. I bought my clothes at the Goodwill store those two years. I went to the library instead of buying books. My only luxury was a telephone and that was because I lived in a rural area. Lights and TV were shut off unless I was in the room or watching it. I only used A/C when it was very hot (fans helped) and heat when a sweater, heavy quilt and heavy socks weren't enough. Somehow I got through those years and did miss a few meals, but the two cats and two dogs never missed a meal. Somehow I got the bills paid every month without going into debt.

I hope this may have given you a few ideas on where you can save some money.

Old 05-03-2012, 06:05 PM

8,228 posts, read 14,224,162 times
I am sorry for your troubles and hope things get better though I tend to wonder.
Hang in there and don't be afraid to ask for help. Humane societies take food donations but
my impression is that many get large food donations from major food companies.
Perhaps they have some programs, or at least coupons that can help feed your cats while you
try to keep it all together. Either that or hit a people food bank. No reason not to, we may all be there from time to time, which is why people give when they can.

Old 05-05-2012, 06:55 AM

18,836 posts, read 37,377,352 times
Lifestyles of the rich and famous....sorry Marykitten you are going thru tough times. Spoiled Kitty will come around.

Old 05-05-2012, 08:20 AM

1,142 posts, read 2,133,210 times
I don't know if you are aware but you can contact any and all animal organizations to inquire about food donations programs for you fur babies. I have been unemployed for 3 years so I can't really afford to help you out but I would certainly inquire around, I'm sure there must be something out there. I know there is something for horses where people donate hay. Its worth a shot.

Old 05-05-2012, 07:04 PM

3,513 posts, read 6,379,330 times
Do check with your local humane society, spca or other rescue groups to see if they have any food programs. My group does and we would much rather provide some pet food assistance to them and have them keep their pets than to surrender them to the pound.

Also check with food banks for people since they often have pet food too. We work with our local food pantry and provide both cat and dog food to them for their clients.

What we get donated to us does vary in quality from just OK to some high end stuff and we never know what we'll have at any given time but it does surprise me the high quality foods that do often get donated to us.

Best wishes for a much brighter future for you and your critters.

Old 05-05-2012, 08:38 PM

3,605 posts, read 9,062,612 times
You are a good cat mama. All your kitties know that and love you, Cinders will come around.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats