Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2012, 12:54 AM

75 posts, read 101,184 times

Advertisements

People don't believe me when I say that my husband was the original cat nut in our relationship. Either they automatically assume that I'm a crazycatlady (Well, I am) and my husband just puts up with it or he gets razzed by his friends.

When we met I was living on my own and had ZERO cats (or any pets at all) and he had 2 cats he absolutely adored. I've always been an animal nut but I worked and had a lot of hobbies and just didn't have the time to care for a pet at that time.

We've been together 10+ years now and I am so happy to have a partner who loves animals as much as I do. We've been fostering and rescuing cats for 8 years. I wouldn't trade the husband or the cats for the world

And maybe I am a bit biased but I think he also blows the " cat guys are feminine" image out the window because he's a very manly man
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2012, 01:43 AM

14,539 posts, read 21,162,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuburbOfMemphisTN View Post
For a cat person, cats are great...For a dog person dogs are great!! Get what you will enjoy, and if you find a girl that is a cat person too then it'll be off to a good start....

If you get a pet to "attract" the opposite sex then you are owning a pet for the wrong reasons anyway....
What is a dog-cat person? A Dat person? I wake up with a dog plastered to me on either side and a small pile of cats sleeping on my shoulder. When they wake up and think, MoM's awake! Food! its a small flully cat who huddles down and trys to keep mom in bed.

My almost three feet tall dog wakes up and gives each cat a very gentle nose nuzzle and kiss. After the rest troop inot the kitchen and sit on the food container he comes back and jumps up and proceeds to lick and nuzzle until Mom gets up.

Old 05-10-2012, 09:29 AM

9,478 posts, read 12,217,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightbird47 View Post
What is a dog-cat person? A Dat person? I wake up with a dog plastered to me on either side and a small pile of cats sleeping on my shoulder. When they wake up and think, MoM's awake! Food! its a small flully cat who huddles down and trys to keep mom in bed.

My almost three feet tall dog wakes up and gives each cat a very gentle nose nuzzle and kiss. After the rest troop inot the kitchen and sit on the food container he comes back and jumps up and proceeds to lick and nuzzle until Mom gets up.
I often wake up snuggled by cats and dogs, too. It's bad when you have to pretend to be asleep if you aren't ready to get up; as soon as they know I am awake, the whole pile of fur starts going crazy!

Cute about the doig kissing the cats. I have 2 chihuahuas and 3 cats, the dogs are the smaller ones in the house. They will play together on occasion, and the dogs quickly learned the cats are good source of heat to snuggle next to. The cats don't mind. I think they think the dogs are just weird looking cats LOL

Old 05-10-2012, 12:48 PM

7,201 posts, read 14,889,217 times
My husband loves our cats and there is nothing feminine about him. My son, from my 1st marriage, also loves cats. He and his SO always have 2 or 3 cats. Nothing feminine about him either.

Old 05-10-2012, 06:29 PM

2,888 posts, read 6,507,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EvieDV View Post
People don't believe me when I say that my husband was the original cat nut in our relationship. Either they automatically assume that I'm a crazycatlady (Well, I am) and my husband just puts up with it or he gets razzed by his friends.

When we met I was living on my own and had ZERO cats (or any pets at all) and he had 2 cats he absolutely adored. I've always been an animal nut but I worked and had a lot of hobbies and just didn't have the time to care for a pet at that time.

We've been together 10+ years now and I am so happy to have a partner who loves animals as much as I do. We've been fostering and rescuing cats for 8 years. I wouldn't trade the husband or the cats for the world

And maybe I am a bit biased but I think he also blows the " cat guys are feminine" image out the window because he's a very manly man
OMG - my husband must be a polygamist! The man you described is the man I married. If you tease him about the feminity of owning cats, I think he'd bet the crap out of you. He, too, is a manly man!

Old 05-10-2012, 06:57 PM

2,186 posts, read 4,546,468 times
Default Cats do not equal Girly Man....

Quote:
Originally Posted by burgler09 View Post
I'm a cat guy, and I want to buy a cat, preferably a bengal cat. I seem to get a LOT of crap from my friends and family about wanting a cat. Is it really that girly for a guy to have a cat??

I don't feel bad about their comments, nor would anyone's opinion of it sway my decision. I like them, but I just think it's funny how appalled people are that I prefer cats. Is this a pretty standard generalization that guys should not have cats?

OMG....people need to get a life!!!! In no way, shape, or form does your choice of pets correlate to your lifestyle preferences....I am sure there are "girly men" who have "manly man" pets as well as the opposite. My husband is an all american, red blooded guy and he had 11 cats when we met. After his, mine, and ours is is now a cat-dad to 23, so NO, it is not unusual for men to like cats. His dad was a mailman years ago and after being chewed on by dogs on his route decided cats were more to his liking. He passed his love of cats onto his kids (and wife) and there is absolutely nothing wrong with it. My 6'7" nephew loves cats and since they can't have kids, those are his "kids". I think people may just be screwing with your head and "ribbing" you, at least I hope they aren't serious. Follow your heart and if you want a cat - then get one (actually 2 is more fun). I hope you might consider adopting a cat that needs a good home instead of buying a purebred, only because you are truly saving a life that way (or 2!!). I am proud that you admit and accept that you like cats - do not let anyone talk you out of it. You are not "odd"..( at least for that anyway!!! GO for IT!!!!

Old 05-11-2012, 09:35 AM

5,092 posts, read 14,773,937 times
Quote:
...I seem to get a LOT of crap from my friends and family about wanting a cat...
I have nine cats whom I love and who love me.

None of us give a rat's rectum about the opinions of morons, maniacs, or idiots.

Old 05-11-2012, 09:51 AM

13,499 posts, read 18,088,148 times
Quote:
I'm a cat guy, and I want to buy a cat, preferably a bengal cat. I seem to get a LOT of crap from my friends and family about wanting a cat. Is it really that girly for a guy to have a cat??

I don't feel bad about their comments, nor would anyone's opinion of it sway my decision. I like them, but I just think it's funny how appalled people are that I prefer cats. Is this a pretty standard generalization that guys should not have cats?
It seems to me that this is a general attitude. But the majority of people are mental midgets, so ignore it.

Cats are great pets. They are not slavish like dogs, they live to own you.

Old 05-11-2012, 09:52 PM

8,797 posts, read 21,196,799 times
My brother who is most definitely not gay has always had both dogs & cats ( he has lots of land) . Every single cat is grey and their names are always Phleedlotz.

People may not recall what you said to them, but they will always remember how you made them feel .

Old 05-12-2012, 10:10 AM

2,087 posts, read 4,261,440 times
In the summer of 1989, the man I had been involved with for 4 years, went out his front door to feed a tiny, black, feral kitten that had been sneaking food from his cats "outside" bowl (that cat had also been feral)

Since the kitten had never let him get close enough to pet, and wouldn't eat if he was on the porch, he left a dish of wet food on the porch, and came back into the house.

I was in the back of the house, when I heard the screen door slam, followed by an unearthly wailing that chilled me to the bone.

That day, kitten had decided to follow him into the house, but had been stopped by the screen door.

I ran into the living room, and there, on his knees, was my 6'4" boyfriend sobbing over the tiny black body he held in his large hands.

I'd never seem him cry before, or since, but he was inconsolable over the death of this tiny kitten, made worse by him being the cause.

Later that same year, my then boyfriend, went into the Navy (he had been on some type of delayed entry scheme) made it through hell week, and BUDS, to become a Navy Seal.

He re-enlisted twice, and the day he was honorably discharged from the Navy, he went to the San Diego Humane Society and adopted two "un-adoptable" cats to begin civilian life with.

He has never been without at least two cats in his adult life, except when he was in the Navy, because he could be gone for months at a time, on a moments notice.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I found this on the San Diego Humane Society website today:

Help Us Win Time with Shaun Phillips to “Sack the Stereotype” of animals!
We’ve entered a contest with San Diego Chargers PopChips and Shaun Phillips called “PopChips Game Changers” for Non-Profits.In our entry, we have asked Shaun to support the San Diego Humane Society by helping us launch a campaign to “Sack the Stereotypes” associated with animals like “Pit Bulls are dangerous,” “Shelter animals are broken” and “Real men don’t have cats.”
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats