Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2012, 09:19 PM

16,391 posts, read 30,939,884 times

Advertisements

I'm a cat guy, and I want to buy a cat, preferably a bengal cat. I seem to get a LOT of crap from my friends and family about wanting a cat. Is it really that girly for a guy to have a cat??

I don't feel bad about their comments, nor would anyone's opinion of it sway my decision. I like them, but I just think it's funny how appalled people are that I prefer cats. Is this a pretty standard generalization that guys should not have cats?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2012, 09:22 PM

52,283 posts, read 52,713,798 times
I dig cats...

They're cool..... collected and large and in charge.... LOL

Old 05-06-2012, 09:25 PM

45,217 posts, read 100,748,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burgler09 View Post
I'm a cat guy, and I want to buy a cat, preferably a bengal cat. I seem to get a LOT of crap from my friends and family about wanting a cat. Is it really that girly for a guy to have a cat??

I don't feel bad about their comments, nor would anyone's opinion of it sway my decision. I like them, but I just think it's funny how appalled people are that I prefer cats. Is this a pretty standard generalization that guys should not have cats?
We had this thread around here once already

NO it is not "girly" for a guy to have a cat, not in the least.

Old 05-06-2012, 09:25 PM

1,639 posts, read 2,202,637 times
Bah...get a cat if you want. Bengals are cool. I thought about getting one myself. I'm a woman, and I have no problem with men having cats. Please..do you see all the straight men walking little foo-foo dogs now adays? Dogs that belong to THEM, not their women.

Get a cat. And if you get the bengal, post pics

Old 05-06-2012, 09:28 PM

4,001 posts, read 6,273,680 times
It's actually a Freudian thing.

The theory is men are uncomfortable with cats as they represent the feminine.

Personally I think only a man who loves women or is comfortable with his own masculinity will own a cat.

It is also true that dogs represent the misogynist's ideal woman - they come when they're called, always adore you, and want you to be happy at all times.

Cats represent actual women. They are haughty, only like being stroked when they are in the mood, don't actually like you all that much, and couldn't give a toss about your happiness.

Old 05-06-2012, 09:28 PM

28,895 posts, read 54,171,925 times
Man, I always have had a cat. Cats are cool and a helluva lot less work than a dog. People who think owning a cat reflects somehow on a guy's sexuality are just too stupid to breed and have children.

Old 05-06-2012, 09:31 PM

2,113 posts, read 2,406,823 times
Guys with cats - hell yes!!!

If there was such a problem with it, sites like cuteboyswithcats.net and menandcats.com wouldn't exist.

Old 05-06-2012, 09:33 PM

178 posts, read 376,244 times
When I see a guy who has a cat for a pet my first thought is he is either gay or a pot head. But that's based on guys who I knew that had cats.

I'm sure it's no big deal but guys use dogs to meet women, walking/running, outdoors stuff, and for companionship, all of which are challenging for a cat to do. On the plus side, the daily walks and poop/scoop issues of a dog go away.

Old 05-06-2012, 09:35 PM

14,725 posts, read 33,379,000 times
Hell effin NO. Some Anglo-influenced cultures are a mess when it comes to this stuff. Cats are great for apartment/compact living arrangements. They use a litter box. I like cats that have a good personality. Some are skittish. There used to be one that belonged to a neighbor but evidently knew my car's engine noise and would follow me into my place after work, sit there on my couch, purr, and then would decide to leave in a couple of hours. Some of my uncles and male cousins overseas had cats, because they wandered in and they fed them. No one would even make a comment like that over there. My nephew has a cat for the exact same reason. An abandoned newborn ended up on his back porch at a house near his college and he took it in because it would have not made it.

I got a cat first when I was a kid...around 9. It was all black. It would chase us and would dart out from under the car in the driveway to play with neighborhood kids. It got sick early and died. My best friend's Mom had a Russian Blue that I would chase around the house, with him eventually landing on the screen door or on the drapes, pissing off his Mom in the process.

I then got a dog. It was an Australian Shepherd. I am now a confirmed dog person after having that pet. She knew the smell of all of LA's freeways, because she would hang her head out the car window because I would take her places with me. You can do more things with a dog (take them to the beach, etc) that you can't do with a cat.

Cats can be cool. Get what you want.

Old 05-06-2012, 09:37 PM

17,869 posts, read 20,999,231 times
I don't really think it's a bad thing that you'd want a cat. Viewed as girly or otherwise.

However, I will say that of my friends who own/love cats, one is eccentric, one is emo, and one could be viewed to have some femininity.

I'd much rather own a dog, but if I see a cat, I would pet it lol.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats