U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-08-2012, 05:46 AM

6 posts, read 16,295 times

Advertisements

I have a new kitten, she is wonderful. She runs around the room and plays with all her toys, bouncing off the walls, etc. However:

She doesnt do the predator- prey type play. Do some cats just never play chase/wrestle with other animals?

She doesnt seem to mind other animals. She is not afraid of running around the room, standing or eating next to them, etc. But when the other animals try to play with her she will hiss at them. Then she goes about her business playing by herself.

She doesnt attack my hands or feet (or even try), or bite (she licks instead- A LOT of licking). Is it possible she just doesnt play like that? or does she just need time to come around?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2012, 01:31 PM

1,120 posts, read 3,324,146 times
It's perfectly normal. Some cats and kittens are just not into playing rough, wrestling and chasing. All cats are individuals and have different likes and dislikes, just like people. I've fostered many kittens and it's not uncommon that they don't like to wrestle and chase. Some prefer to play with toys by themselves and some are not that into playing at all. It's just their personality. I have an adult foster cat who still loves to wrestle but when he tries to play with other cats and kittens who don't like it he often gets a good smack on the head. Such is the world of cats.
Your little girl sounds like a completely normal, sweet kitten. You have nothing to worry about. In fact if she doesn't have a habit of chasing feet and nipping hands I would be happy

Old 05-08-2012, 06:35 PM

Is there a time frame which i can know for sure if she will be a 'wrestler' or wants to play with the other animals?

Old 05-08-2012, 09:43 PM

34,240 posts, read 54,208,674 times
if she was taken out of her litter early she might not
my daughter has two sisters who were born in "barn cat environment"--
she took them very early from there and they are really very sweet -- don't play rough with each other but will chase and pounce on catnip toys and stuff--
have never gotten rough with my daughter or her husband like biting their feet as far as I know...

Old 05-09-2012, 05:03 AM

She was very well taken care of as a kitten. We adopted her when she was 8 weeks old from a woman who took in a pregnant mother cat after the owner passed away.

Im worried that when the other animals try to play she gets upset, hissing. That has to be stressful on her?

Old 05-09-2012, 01:12 PM

1,120 posts, read 3,324,146 times
She could definitely change over time and start liking rough play but she may not. Since all cats are individuals there is really no time frame that is universal to all to determine when or if she will start playing differently. How old is she now and how long have you had her? How many other cats do you have and what are their ages? Are all the cats spayed or neutered?

I wouldn't worry about the kitten being stressed out by the other cats trying to get her to play. It's all normal cat behavior and they are equipped to deal with it. You can do what you can to protect her but she can most likely hold her own. As she gets older and has established her space in the pack things will get better.

Old 05-09-2012, 02:00 PM

8,991 posts, read 16,561,050 times
Hissing does not necessarily mean the kitten is "upset". Hissing is a means of communication. Perhaps her mother, who lost her home and human at a vulnerable time, hissed a lot, and the kitten picked up the habit.

Sounds like kitten has her own ideas and a strong personality. If she doesn't want to tumble with the other cats, I don't think that is something to worry about. If she doesn't want to bite your hands, be grateful. Let her be who she is, enjoy watching her personality and character bloom.

Welcome to the forum and congratulations on your new little one.

Old 05-09-2012, 02:11 PM

She is 8 weeks old.
We have one cat male cat who is neutered, and one 5 lb dog. We have only had her for 4 days (dont laugh, I know that is not that long).

We just had one of our cats pass away, so I guess maybe I often compare her to the previous kitty (which I shouldnt, but moving on is hard- we thought a new addition would help).

She does sleep with the dog in his bed, and has no issue walking around with him, eating, etc. Its just when he rolls over on the floor, she doesnt care. She just walks away...
The dog has a fluffy tail, and he loves it when kitties pull it, but she doesnt seem interested. The dog will then get into a 'attack' position (which he learned from the other cats- stalking, waiting to pounce laying down) and then she will hiss at him as if she is saying "Dont even try it!"

Then minutes later she plops down next to him on the couch to sleep.

If there is a wrestle match happening, she doesnt seem to care. She watches from a distance, and plays with her balls by herself or runs over to me to lick my face or get her head scratched.

Im worried. Helicopter parent I think they call it??
But I want to make sure she is not getting stressed every time the little dog wants to play with her, as that is so common here.

Old 05-09-2012, 02:17 PM

Oh, I should add- the second cat will be leaving tomorrow. He is not mine, but actually a co-worker who was leaving out of state. She was going to turn her cat over to the shelter, and I said i would take him until she returned.

She is now moving back, so she can take him home again.

Old 05-09-2012, 04:24 PM

12,958 posts, read 12,113,304 times
Someone forgot to send my cat the memo when she was a mere 6 week old kitten and I adopted/rescued her. She was pretty fearless herself. Actually, as I remember it, it took several weeks before she started some of those behaviors. I remember when she was learning to do the pounce thing. Hilarious. Looked like she was on a trampoline.

Also when she started learning to stalk and do that sideways shimmy walk to show how fierce she is (LOL) she would practice it on my golden retriever (who ignored the fierceness and her altogether).

If I am remembering correctly it was maybe at the 12 week to 15 week age that these behaviors started. If your kitten feels stressed she'll let the dog know. Dogs learn very quickly what sharp claws can do. If you need to intervene to give each a time out then create a space where each can be left alone without the other bothering them.

Don't worry! Your kitten sounds normal and it's very nice to have a cat and dog bond.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats