U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-11-2012, 03:04 PM

7,201 posts, read 13,746,969 times

Advertisements

I got this just now from a friend in PA.:
~~~~~~~~~
"My given name was Kitten,
when my former owners moved away they just left me,
I didn't have to travel far though to find love,
I just walked across the road and found poeple who
although they could not take me inside,
gave me a wonderful place to hang out, eat, sleep,
and offer companionship on their patio.
Last night I was attacked by a larger animal,
lost one of my eyes, recieved a broken jaw,
and had what seemed to be a concussion.
When XXXXX found me this morning he was mortified.
He had to make a decision, and wrapped me in a warm afghan, put me in his car, and took me to the vet. I know that it was one of the hardest things he had to do but it was justified.
The vet gave me an injection and soon I went to sleep. I'm on my way to rainbow bridge now.
I'll wait there for the ones who loved and took care of me."
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
This doesn't happen to cats kept indoors. How that poor cat must have suffered.

Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2012, 03:50 PM

8,614 posts, read 20,128,135 times
That is very sad , =^..^= . How people can be so heartless I will never know.

People may not recall what you said to them, but they will always remember how you made them feel .

Old 05-12-2012, 12:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nancy thereader View Post
That is very sad , =^..^= . How people can be so heartless I will never know.
His vet believes it was attacked by another animal, caught by it's head. A dog, a coyote or possibly a raccoon the vet said. He's still very upset tonight. He rote back and said that the cat had a cat-door into the garage and something may have trapped it in the garage and grabbed it there. He has three other cats and is now worried about them.

Old 05-12-2012, 05:35 AM

36,502 posts, read 50,403,106 times
When I was a child our family was moving several hours away. On the morning the van came for the furniture there was great chaos, noise and confusion and of course the cat ran away. Nobody thought about containing him before the move. We stayed longer than we should looking for him till finally my father said we had to get on the road. He told a few neighbors what happened and to be on the look out for the cat and that he would drive back to pick him up if anybody could contain him. We never saw the cat again and it broke my heart.

So when people say someone moved and left the cat behind I sometimes think this same thing may have happened. I know some folks do just heartlessly move and abandoned the cat but not always.

Old 05-12-2012, 08:39 AM

782 posts, read 1,457,593 times
When we moved here 20 years ago, a retiring couple had an outside cat that they said "comes with the house". That the the first of many things that made me dislike the owners. We had 5 dogs at the time, a large kennel was built attached to an outbuilding, we fenced about an acre and told the couple our property was not going to be conducive to cats and that they should make other arrangements. When we settled, the owners failed to clean out the house citing husband having a heart attack and because we had moved a long way, had to settle and take possession, it was pretty depressing as they didn't live up to the settlement agreement and we had months of work to do that the previous owners had agreed to do. We had met the cat several times during visits, she was a skinny orange tabby, very skittish and not well cared for. After about a month, we had all forgotten about her but we started spotting her circling the front of the house where it was safe [dogs were in the rear]. We started putting out food and water, and established a Queening box [remade a new dog house with a cat door so she had a safe zone as we live very rural] on our front porch which she took possession of and lived for another 10 years, and became a great friend. She's the one that brought us gifts of love that I spoke of on another blog. We now have 2 strictly indoor cats to avoid the kind of tragedy described in this blog, it's not only dogs and other creatures that threaten outside domesticated cats, but it's other cats. It never ceases to amaze me how cruel people can be discarding their pets or allowing them to be in harms way, "they're just animals", I couldn't live without my little girls, they are fascinating intelligent curious little creatures and I pity others who don't take the time to appreciate their animals and treat them with the care and love as they would their own children, the rewards go beyond description. Call me crazy but I believe loved animals have a spiritual component and experience suffering and pain, as well as love and commitment, just like humans. It was absolutely the humane thing to send the injured feline to kitty heaven.

Old 05-12-2012, 05:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
When I was a child our family was moving several hours away. On the morning the van came for the furniture there was great chaos, noise and confusion and of course the cat ran away. Nobody thought about containing him before the move. We stayed longer than we should looking for him till finally my father said we had to get on the road. He told a few neighbors what happened and to be on the look out for the cat and that he would drive back to pick him up if anybody could contain him. We never saw the cat again and it broke my heart.
This happens in campgrounds all the time. The cat isn't around and the family must leave without them. It wasn't the people abandoning the cat that got me as much as how the cat was attacked and probably suffered horribly until he found it.

Quote:
So when people say someone moved and left the cat behind I sometimes think this same thing may have happened. I know some folks do just heartlessly move and abandoned the cat but not always.
Abandoning pets here in TN is as common as ants at a picnic. They even leave pets locked in their homes and apartments to starve and die when they take off.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats