Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2012, 07:09 PM

7,329 posts, read 16,416,292 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
They'll tell you that they are from local breeders but when you say, "Oh, you mean BYB" they ALWAYS answer how the breeder is USDA certified. LOL! Total lie.
It's most likely not a lie. It's the law that all dogs sold in pet stores have to be from USDA certified facilities. Unfortunately, the USDA certifies puppy mills all the time. Their requirements for breeders are pretty minimal and they are much too understaffed to do many inspections of breeder facilities. I'm not sure about regulations for kittens.

Edit: I have to correct myself. I was checking on whether the regulations are the same for puppies and kittens, and they are. But breeders with 3 or fewer breeding females don't have to be licensed to sell to a store. So the puppies and kittens sold there could be from a BYB, or from a USDA-licensed mill. Sorry, no responsible breeder sends animals to a store,to be sold to anyone who walks in with cash or a credit card.

Last edited by subject2change; 05-19-2012 at 07:41 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2012, 08:51 PM

9,912 posts, read 24,643,570 times
I would also say no responsible store sells cats and dogs like that anymore anyway. The chains Petsmart and Petco don't sell dogs or cats; when you see dogs and cats in those stores they are from local shelters or rescue groups. Although they do still often sell other types of pets. Since I know a shelter that takes in rabbits, for example, I suspect it is getting to the point that stores needn't sell rabbits. Probably should suggest that to the chains. The small stores I frequent for most food purchases don't sell pets at all, just food and other supplies.

Old 05-20-2012, 07:28 AM

18,836 posts, read 37,344,416 times
I still don't think adopting a pet from CL is bad. Sometimes people get pets and cannot keep them. They don't want to take them to a kill shelter. Situations happen...when I moved, I had enough money to take my cat, some people can't afford that...

Jasper was a good deal. He is an awesome cat...

Old 05-20-2012, 10:43 AM

7,201 posts, read 14,981,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by foxywench View Post

....even better, head on over to your locl shelter or animl control. here its $10 to adopt a kitten from the local high kill and they dont have much time...
youll py more to adopt form a shelter but those cats are usually fully vetted (spay/neuter shots ect)
That's where you live. Where I live the local kill-shelter gets (it may be higher now) $104 per kitty. They're blood tested, cleaned of fleas and worms, and the cost covers spay or neuter at the proper age/weight. But they usually have URIs because people bring them in sick and the county shelter has to take them, unlike a Rescue.

Most people wont pay that here. They want something for nothing - free kitties. They then toss them to their children like inanimate toys. Those that survive the mishandling and poor care are not neutered/spayed and are soon producing kittens of their own.

Old 05-20-2012, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
I still don't think adopting a pet from CL is bad. Sometimes people get pets and cannot keep them. They don't want to take them to a kill shelter. Situations happen...when I moved, I had enough money to take my cat, some people can't afford that...

Jasper was a good deal. He is an awesome cat...
It's not BAD as such, but it can be time consuming as you go from one home to another looking at cats infested with fleas, others with tape worm segments all over their rear ends, others with bloody ears from ear mites causing constant scratching, kitties never blood tested for FIV and FeLV......

Old 05-20-2012, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greg42 View Post
I would also say no responsible store sells cats and dogs like that anymore anyway.
Also, responsible breeders do not deal with or sell to pet stores or dog and cat brokers. Only money grubbing BYBs and puppy mills do that.

Old 05-20-2012, 12:02 PM

18,836 posts, read 37,344,416 times
Jasper's owner brought him to me...as she wanted to verify he was going to a good home. He was healthy.

He was not a kitten. I think you find many good adult cats on CL...whose owners can't keep the cat for various reasons.

Old 05-21-2012, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
Jasper's owner brought him to me...as she wanted to verify he was going to a good home. He was healthy.

He was not a kitten. I think you find many good adult cats on CL...whose owners can't keep the cat for various reasons.
This is true. You can find gems if you have the time and patience to dig through all the rubble... so to speak.

Old 09-02-2013, 04:34 PM

1 posts, read 983 times
Hello I am new to this site I stumbbled upon looking for places to "rehome" my cat Sammy. I am moving away and I want someone who will treat him right someone who loves animals. I am sorry I have to place my cat I am going away to college with my children and just cannot afford the fess for him when I get there. My family and I are very saddened that we have to leave Sammy behind he is part of this family, so we decided to find him a place to live, if you are interested I dont want any fee for Sammy just love him and take good care of him, email me at [email]earthpure35@gmail.com[/email] if anyone is interested, we will be relocating at the end of September so by the 25th I am hoping someone will rescue him into there home where it is clean, safe and quiet... Thank You

Old 09-02-2013, 04:58 PM

11,276 posts, read 19,552,682 times
Obviously Sammy is NOT a part of the family since you have decided to leave him behind. Please don't dump your cat. Take Sammy with you, there isn't any reason why you can't.

Think of what you are teaching your children....that animals are disposable when they become inconvenient.

If your children are young, they may start wondering if they will be left, next.

And advertising him "free" on a website is a very dangerous (for Sammy) thing to do. Creeps troll sites like these looking for posts like yours. Creeps who take pleasure in torturing cats, or use them for dog fighting bait, or sell them to laboratories.

Keep Sammy with you, where he belongs, or if you are determined to dump him, take him to a legitimate shelter.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats