Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2012, 05:44 AM

11,276 posts, read 19,556,099 times

Advertisements

I worry so about cats hunting. Too many people put out poison to kill rodents. I realize she's been hunting all along, of course, so maybe no one does, in your neighborhood.

Gosh I hope Tuesday's the day. I'm going to be a nervous wreck and I'm not even there!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2012, 12:22 PM

17,633 posts, read 22,626,536 times
For the last 25 years i've had beloved mountain cats & beloved big doogies running around my place here in the mountains (80 acres of beautiful forest). Therefore i've never put out any rodent poison. I also worry about hurting any of my forest critter friends.

Among other traps, i use the Zapper. Amazon.com: Agri Zap RZCOO1 Rat Zapper Classic: Patio, Lawn & Garden
It has been pretty effective.

Old 05-25-2012, 01:56 PM

2,873 posts, read 5,848,894 times
Consider constructing your own drop box?

Cats seem to be a little less afraid of these because they walk under the trap, not into it. Here's a site that has some links to how to make them at the bottom:

Neighborhood Cats / How to Build & Use Your Own Drop Trap

I guess you have to wait until AC is ready for her though, so she can get spayed and released same day.

Old 05-25-2012, 04:06 PM

4,888 posts, read 13,824,184 times
catsmom: Here in Cambridge MA we call ourselves the "People's Republic." My neighborhood is the kind in which you need to keep careful tabs on your Subaru Outback or Toyota Prius because you might find yourself trying to climb into the wrong car. There are TWO Whole Foods supermarkets within easy walking distance. I'm sure you get the picture. If anybody's putting out rodent poison it's bound to not be harmful to the Earth let alone any other creatures that walk it.

Meanwhile, back at the cat ranch...credit needs to be given where it's due. Animal Control did stop by yesterday. As a consequence Blaliko now only has three mouths to feed. Her "spit n' image" kitten was taken to the SPCA for socialization/fostering and adoption. ("She was a little bit wild.") I got to see an AC officer in person today, when she stopped by to check on the trap that was left in the yard this morning. We only had until mid-day to catch any more critters, and the bait hadn't been taken by 1:30 so that was that. Since the can of food had been opened, the officer left it on the porch where it was appreciatively devoured by the family.
Blaliko seems to be mellowing out a tad bit, no longer so quick to put space between her and me when I walk onto the porch. We had some more bonding time during my lunch hour. I finger-fed her some of the canned food she hadn't been able to reach, and gave out some petting + skritches. Purring and a raised tail were my rewards. What more reward do you need?
The kittens are extremely skittish in my presence and probably always will be. Not that that, with any luck, should be much longer. Both of them have healthy fluffy coats and are well on their way into cat-olescence.
AC will be back on Tuesday, so that maybe the rest of the family can be rounded up by the Fourth of July. (hahaha)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats