Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2012, 12:00 PM

18,836 posts, read 37,347,105 times

Advertisements

Sounds like a normal "baby", to me. Their tummies are tiny. So, small amounts, frequently. Can't you leave any food in the dish? How about feeding wet food? And dry?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2012, 06:33 AM

35 posts, read 68,745 times
So this weekend, my dh offered to wake up to let me sleep. I have never seen him so crabby- LOL. all he said is 'I dont understand this is crazy, how do you do this!?'

So today I did something different. At 2:30am, she started to bug me, but i didnt give in. I put a spray bottle next to my head, and slept with it.

At 4am i got up and fed her, which she ate all her food. She then went back to bed. My husband got up at 5:30- to which he fed her again. She didnt eat her food he said.

The animals then played for about 30 minutes, and piled back onto the bed for sleep (the dogs favorite activity is sleeping). Again at 6am she tried to wake me, but I refused by holding up a spray bottle (not spraying her). She seemed to understand and layed down to go back to sleep.

At 7am, she begged the dog- poking his head. I could see if from the corner of my eye. Then she turned sitting next to me, with her eyes squinted, just making little 'mew, mew, mew'- the tiniest meows in the world. about one every 15 seconds. I got up after about 10 minutes, but she didnt want food, would only accept a treat.

To me, it seems like she is hungry, but more than that- she stopped begging when I was firm, and she had a play session with the dog. I think she may be a little hungry, but a huge part of it is attention- like previously suggested.

After I gave her the treat, she wanted kisses and then ran over to bug the dog. So then the question is, do i keep ignoring her? Using an empty spraybottle as a shield?

Old 06-04-2012, 06:36 AM

Thanks so much for your kinds words, they are quite the pair. Remy even acts like an 'old man' sometimes as she is extremely intense and relentless. Sleeping, eat, bathroom, she doesnt care what he is doing to her, every time is 'PLAYTIME' haha. He loves it tho, every second of it.

Old 06-06-2012, 05:01 PM

142 posts, read 504,987 times
I'd have her checked out for tapeworm. It's very easily treated. Does she have diarrhea?

I had a rescue cat who had the same issues as your dog. So I just kept his bowl full all the time with dry food -- otherwise, he'd panic, and the panic never went away the whole nine years I had him.

At one point, he used to - really - open my eye with his paw at 4 a.m. to get me up to get his breakfast. I finally figured out to feed him a wet food he didn't like then, and he stopped doing it.

As for your kitten, kittens are craaaaaazy. That's their job. She'll calm down with age.

Old 06-06-2012, 05:34 PM

18,042 posts, read 15,639,191 times
She should be good with 4 or 5 feedings a day, slowly working your way down to 3 . I think she just wants ATTENTION NOW whenever she starts the whining in the middle of the night. There's no reason she needs to be fed every couple of hours as long as she's on a high quality food. Try her out on wet cat food and not only dry, but integrate it slowly into her diet.

Those 2 are adorable together!

I had a golden when I got my kitten @ 6 weeks old. My cat bonded with 'her' dog. I lost my golden 1 yr later and I miss her so much still.

Old 06-06-2012, 06:23 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,433,203 times
Well, that little rascal certainly has you trained. I had this problem with past meezer kittens too. I just left kibble out for them but I understand you cannot do this with your dog around. I don't think there has been a kitty kibble invented dogs won't eat if given the chance.

I guess the best thing to do would be to just not feed the kitten on demand at 3:00 am and put up with her yowling. I think part of this is just that she wants your attention.

Calling Jackson Galaxy!

Old 06-07-2012, 08:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wevi View Post
I'd have her checked out for tapeworm. It's very easily treated. Does she have diarrhea?

I had a rescue cat who had the same issues as your dog. So I just kept his bowl full all the time with dry food -- otherwise, he'd panic, and the panic never went away the whole nine years I had him.

At one point, he used to - really - open my eye with his paw at 4 a.m. to get me up to get his breakfast. I finally figured out to feed him a wet food he didn't like then, and he stopped doing it.

As for your kitten, kittens are craaaaaazy. That's their job. She'll calm down with age.
No, nothing like that, dewormed and very healthy bm's.

About what age do they calm down? Im just wondering how much sleep i can get from now to then.

Its helpful to hear that 4-5 feedings is normal at this age. I assume by 6 months she will be down to 3, correct?

Old 06-07-2012, 11:04 AM

21,695 posts, read 28,433,203 times
Six months sounds about right to me. But she still might want to play at night so the OP will probably have to give her some "tough love" and not give in to her no matter how cute she is.

Old 06-07-2012, 04:33 PM

18,042 posts, read 15,639,191 times
My cat was a hellion as a kitten and she started slowing down around 7 to 8 months. I think by 9 months she was quite tolerable :wink:. But yeah, those months from 4 through 7... psycho kitty.

Old 06-07-2012, 06:00 PM

157 posts, read 587,066 times
kibble is so high in carbs IMO she just isn't getting the enough nutrition out of the diet she is on, thus feeling hungry ALL the time......I would really suggest giving her a canned food grain free, high in protein(meat first on ingredient label, not meat by-products) I really think this will solve her problem....btw they are both just darlings
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats