U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2007, 06:50 PM

830 posts, read 930,874 times

Advertisements

I did a really stupid thing and I want EVERYONE to know about it because I don't want it to ever happen again. I have five of the most absolutely wonderful cats. One is 6 years old and the other 4 are 3 brothers and 1 sister, 2 years old. Last night by ACCIDENT I applied Advantix on them each and I made the mistake of using the Advantix for DOGS instead of cats! Turns out that this stuff is extremely TOXIC if applied on cats! I have been up 24 hours round the clock caring for my darlings! This toxic effect causes extreme muscle tremors and you have to watch for seizers. I have to give them medicine every 4 hours.

I can't tell you how awful I feel that I almost killed my wonderful, wonderful, wonderful pets! They are all laying next to me right now limp and asleep but the tremors are subsiding. We went to a 24 hour animal hospital last night and there was another cat there that had the exact same accident! Just before we arrived a man was in with his puppy that had got under the pool cover and drowned! So many accidents involving pets that many of us never hear about. Perhaps a post should be started to warn people.

There maybe a few of you out there that may poke fun of this awful accident but it will be worth your ridicule if I manage to save one pet from this terrible ordeal! There is nothing awful anyone could say that could make me feel worse than I already feel!!!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2007, 07:10 PM

1,738 posts, read 7,782,565 times
I'm very sorry that happened to you and your pets.

I hope you feel better and don't beat yourself up to much. Accidents happen to to best of us.

Old 09-22-2007, 10:13 PM

420 posts, read 1,199,859 times
As you said, it was an accident. And, there was another cat with the exact same trouble at the emergency vet.

You were a responsible 'bean' and took your kitties to get help--after hours, at an emergency animal hospital. That is not an inexpensive visit!

You have stayed with them--comforting and taking good care of them.

Thank you for giving all cat owners a heads up so the same thing will not happen to other kitties.

Continue to take care of your kitties and take care of your self, too.

I would try to feed them only wet food and have fresh water everywhere to encourage them to drink to help flush the toxins out of their system.

Old 09-23-2007, 08:01 PM

8,191 posts, read 29,262,097 times
How about an update? How are they doing?

I can't imagine anyone would be insensitive enough to give you a hard time.

Old 09-23-2007, 08:41 PM

2,178 posts, read 8,904,710 times
I don't know you but I believe it was a accident that you have learned a very valuable lesson from and a mistake you will never make again.

That being said, I buy the large dog Advantage for my cats but I KNOW how much to apply! I treat 5 cats out of 1 large dog tube.. The ingredients are the same just requires different dosages and comes out a LOT cheaper per dose. Rescuers and some shelters use this method, my vet knows I do it and it IS safe if you know the dosages to apply. NOT the Advantix, but the plain Advantage!

Old 09-23-2007, 09:34 PM

673 posts, read 2,986,933 times
Oh no I'm so sorry to hear about that!!!! I hope they will all be ok...yes please update if you can.

Old 09-23-2007, 09:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laura707 View Post
I don't know you but I believe it was a accident that you have learned a very valuable lesson from and a mistake you will never make again.

That being said, I buy the large dog Advantage for my cats but I KNOW how much to apply! I treat 5 cats out of 1 large dog tube.. The ingredients are the same just requires different dosages and comes out a LOT cheaper per dose. Rescuers and some shelters use this method, my vet knows I do it and it IS safe if you know the dosages to apply. NOT the Advantix, but the plain Advantage!
Wow, you are just the perfect person to talk to. Yes, the complete story is that my vet retired and he himself knew I needed to save money and at the time I had 10 cats, so he gave me a syringe to extract the flea stuff from the container and then I would take the needle off and apply it to the cats. I did this for years ... as long as the stuff was first out. The mistake was, my vet retired without notice and I thought I knew what I was doing but I didn't realize there was a difference between Advantage or Advantex and honestly, I am not even sure if he gave me Frontline. Stupid me, I thought they were all the same. They are NOT all the same!!!!!

I have no idea what I will use now. After what I put my kitties through ..... I can't bare to use anything toxic on them ever again!!!

Old 09-23-2007, 09:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evey View Post
How about an update? How are they doing?

I can't imagine anyone would be insensitive enough to give you a hard time.
My kitties are doing amazingly well!!! THANK YOU!!

If you love animals you would me SHOCKED at the nasty responses I received from a forum in my area. You won't believe it! They named the post "Possible Serial CAT KILLER"!!! I hope city-data allows you to view this link. It's absolutely HORRIBLE!!! I hope many people complain! I don't trust people that can act or say mean things about animals.....

Whalingcity.info\ :: View topic - Possible Serial CAT KILLER

Old 09-23-2007, 10:07 PM

1,127 posts, read 4,689,424 times
Oh, hon, it sure does stink awful bad when you make these kinds of mistakes. There is no one who can beat you down better than yourself, but your cats still love and trust you because they know you adore them. Let up on yourself, you did the best you could do and no one could ask for more than that. I hope they and you are feeling better today.

Old 09-23-2007, 10:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wi_Girl View Post
Oh no I'm so sorry to hear about that!!!! I hope they will all be ok...yes please update if you can.
They are doing amazingly well!!!! Here are a couple of photos when they were sick. I have a really cute new one in my camera I'll find and send so you can see how well they are doing NOW!! They are such friendly cats because their mom dropped them off to us when they were only 1 week old and we have raised them since..... but they have been exceptionally friendly since they were sick. I think they LOVED all the loving!!! Honestly, I stayed out of work and kept my daughter home from school so we could care for them. I was so exhausted that I forgot to call my daughter's school to say she would be out and of course the school nurse called to find out where she was. I appologized and said to her, "You may not think this is a good reason why my daughter isn't in school but I really need her home" and I went on to tell the nurse what had happened. She was wonderful about it and very sympathitic.... thankfuly! It was important to give them their medicine on time and it was very difficult to give them a pill in their throat with such severe tremors. They would bite not meaning to and it took the two of us to do it .... with 5 cats!!! OMG, it was a nightmare!

But I am so thankful they are alive and well. Oh and yes .... it was expensive $600. but that was the least of my worries.
Attached Thumbnails
WARNING!!! I Did something REALLY STUPID!!!-i-had-worse-night.jpg   WARNING!!! I Did something REALLY STUPID!!!-pride-joy.jpg  
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats