Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2012, 07:40 PM

11,276 posts, read 19,580,966 times

Advertisements

I agree that a broad spectrum de-wormer should be given, regardless of stool check outcome. Drontal covers all the usual parasites, tapeworm, hookworm and roundworm (ascarid).

Drontal is dosed by weight and should be given twice, second dose three weeks after first dose to catch worms that were not yet viable during the first dose.

There is a topical de wormer (put on just like a flea treatment) available now called Profender, but I don't know a lot about it. It is put on only once, because it stays in the cat's system for a month, which will cover any new hatching after the adult worms are killed.

If giving pills might be a problem for Edgar, talk to your vet about the Profender.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2012, 08:20 PM

1,881 posts, read 3,353,365 times
thanks for the great advice guys. i have already paid for the test and got a sample this morning. i will talk to them about other tests. i would also like him to get a general checkup which i now realize they didn't do. all looks well to me but you can't be TOO sure. at least i got the biggies out of the way, and will make sure he gets EVERYTHING he needs. he is doing so well. he still can't go outside so i made him a ledge by one of my bus windows and he likes to lay there and sleep and peer out onto the back yard. i am keeping a watch on him so he doesn't jump out, which may become more of a problem as the days wear on. he is MUCH spunkier today but still seems quite happy to stay in the bus. i walked him around outside for a few minutes so he could feel the breeze and get some sunshine but didn't let him down onto the ground. i think he understands, hope so.

Old 09-06-2015, 12:36 PM

1 posts, read 1,115 times
I have just taken a stray cat into my home, he was very dirty smelly and starving! I was feeding him on the step of the house for ages and waited until he trusted me enough to let me pick him up. The problem is though, I know that he may have a chip, and it's true I do not know anything about him, but I have given him part of my heart now and he responds to me with such affection. I am very worried that if he is chipped, and I get that he is not mine, possibly someone else's missing pet, that he will be taken away from me. It actually pains me to even think like that. The way I look at it is, even if his original owners (if there are any) did not love him enough to fight for him, I would move heaven and earth to retrieve a lost pet, leave no avenues unwalked, and never give up. Plus although he may be returned to someone else, I could not bear the thought of him being back on the street once the novelty of his return wears off. I know, I know, I am just speculating and I do not really know, but I do know I love him.

Old 09-06-2015, 12:57 PM

15,501 posts, read 17,081,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzyis53 View Post
I have just taken a stray cat into my home, he was very dirty smelly and starving! I was feeding him on the step of the house for ages and waited until he trusted me enough to let me pick him up. The problem is though, I know that he may have a chip, and it's true I do not know anything about him, but I have given him part of my heart now and he responds to me with such affection. I am very worried that if he is chipped, and I get that he is not mine, possibly someone else's missing pet, that he will be taken away from me. It actually pains me to even think like that. The way I look at it is, even if his original owners (if there are any) did not love him enough to fight for him, I would move heaven and earth to retrieve a lost pet, leave no avenues unwalked, and never give up. Plus although he may be returned to someone else, I could not bear the thought of him being back on the street once the novelty of his return wears off. I know, I know, I am just speculating and I do not really know, but I do know I love him.
Several ways to look at this.

Based on the condition you found him in, it is doubtful he is microchipped.

But there is a slime chance, he might have been stolen and got away from the theif or the owner lost him while on vacation etc

If he is microchiped, it is almost certain he is owned by a caring person. If that is the case the owner probably wants what is best for him and would be willing to let you keep him rather than traumatize him after his ordeal.

For peace of mind, take him to a vet and have him scanned. If he is chipped contact the owners and between both of you try to put all feelings aside and do what is best for the cat.

Last edited by Woodrow LI; 09-06-2015 at 02:36 PM.. Reason: OOOOps.eft of the quote from suzyis53--added now---sorry for any confusion

Old 09-06-2015, 01:28 PM

2,029 posts, read 4,038,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzyis53 View Post
First, thank you for taking in and caring for this cat. Second, please have him scanned. Someone may be missing him terribly. Accidents happen and cats get out. He could also be an indoor/outdoor cat but from his condition, I'm thinking maybe not. Third, if there is no chip, congratulations on becoming a cat owner!

Last, if he does belong to someone he should be returned. If you feel uncomfortable with this, then find out as much info as you can about his owner to see if he does have a good home. If he doesn't have a good home, I have no advice to give. Go with your gut. I know what I would do but it probably isn't legal or ethical.

If things don't work out, remember there are A LOT of cats in shelters and rescues that need a good home!

Old 09-06-2015, 01:39 PM

3,671 posts, read 3,558,235 times
Umm, original Poster did end up taking him in and found no chip. So cat is theirs, and OP has had kitty chipped to belong to them, along with neutering, and stool check.

Old 09-06-2015, 01:45 PM

9,127 posts, read 9,373,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TerraDown View Post
Umm, original Poster did end up taking him in and found no chip. So cat is theirs, and OP has had kitty chipped to belong to them, along with neutering, and stool check.
I think they were responding to a more current post from suzyis53.

Old 09-06-2015, 02:12 PM

3,671 posts, read 3,558,235 times
LOL, my bad. I read the whole string, and somehow missed that.
Thanks catdad
Sorry guys

Old 09-06-2015, 04:43 PM

2,029 posts, read 4,038,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by catdad7x View Post
I think they were responding to a more current post from suzyis53.
Yes, that's exactly what I was doing!

Old 09-06-2015, 05:21 PM

9,127 posts, read 9,373,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TerraDown View Post
LOL, my bad. I read the whole string, and somehow missed that.
Thanks catdad
Sorry guys
Not to worry. We've probably all done it at one time or another.
I know I have.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats