Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2012, 05:52 AM

11,276 posts, read 19,580,966 times

Advertisements

I'm so sorry for your loss. Yes, she is grieving, as the others have said. Give her lots of attention. If it's been more than 24 hours since she ate, please bring her to the vet. The vet can give her some fluids to guard against dehydration and organ failure. The fluids will also help her feel better.

Sometimes this also can break the thrall of the cat's grief.

Tempt her with smelly wet foods or baby food (be sure baby food does not contain onions, garlic or other spices)

Talk to her about her lost sister and tell her where she is and why. This is the only bad thing about multiple cats. When one leaves and the others are left grieving.

Keep us posted.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2012, 07:04 AM

2,186 posts, read 4,574,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
Last Thursday we had to put our one kitty to sleep. She was 14, had several ailments and it made no sense to extend her life. Now her sister (not really her sister, but we got them just a few months apart) won't eat, she cries all night, which isn't like her and she seems to be getting really weak. We are beside ourselves. Losing one was bad enough, especially for my husband, but now seeing the second little girl suffering is driving us crazy. Has anyone else ever experienced this?

Nita

I am so very sorry that you lost your baby and I truly appreciate how you are feeling now. As for her sister who is missing her - it is totally natural and she doesn't understand. Would you happen to have something that the other one laid on a lot - something that has her scent on it? Do you have a towel or a blanket perhaps in the carrier you used to take her to the vet that last time - it would have her scent on it. If you do - give it to the sister and see if that helps. Animals can smell "death" and instinctively know what it means. If sister can pick up on that - she will know where the other one went and it make soothe her somewhat. I hope this makes sense - I lost one of my babies several years ago. She died at home and the other kitties (and my dog) gathered around her and sniffed her. Some recoiled, some laid down beside her. But they knew she was gone and they seemed to "get" it. I hope you and your baby find peace in the coming days - and I wish you luck. She needs some extra TLC right now (and so do you!!)

Old 06-05-2012, 11:45 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,756,288 times
Thanks everyone,

We have made a couple of adjustments that might help, we hope anyway. Both girls used to sleep in the laundry room which we called their bedroom. In fact, when they thought it was bedtime they would come to us and ask us to go night night. Well, after we said good bye to Sunny, our other girl just cried and cried. Last night we left the door to the her bedroom open, but let her wander the house. She didn't cry at all. Now, ask us about our sleep, she spent a good part of the night walking across our heads so we feel we need the TLC today. Though she still isn't eating much, if at all it could be she doesn't even like the food. We just changed brands. Tonight I am giving her a can of tuna. We will see. If she still isn't eating I think it is time for her to visit the vet.

Nita

Old 06-05-2012, 02:23 PM

786 posts, read 1,593,852 times
So sorry for your loss, it made me a little teary eyed thinking back about all the dogs and cats we've lost over the years, and how all the animals grieve for each other, including cats for dogs and vice versa. When my SO had to go away for 3 months, "Smoke" went to bed on his bed on top of some clothes left behind and wouldn't budge, eat or drink for 3 months, I had to keep taking her to the vet with elbow length gloves because she would bite and scratch me. It was a huge nightmare, I was so worried she was going to die. I never saw anything like it, she was catatonic. When he walked back in the door, I cried with joy [I know it's sappy but I can't help it] as she ran down the hall with glee and jumped all over him talking up a storm and hasn't left him out of her sight since, that was 2 years ago, whenever he leaves the house, she's up on the bay window until he comes back so cats can really die from broken hearts so as others have said, take kitty to the vet as needed and hopefully she'll get through it. Funny our other girl clung to me during his absense but was worried about Smoke and would lay on the bed next to her but to no avail, cats are like people, they all have different personalities. Good luck.

Old 06-07-2012, 02:26 PM

Here is an update and we think it is good news. She is eating more, still not a lot, but more and is spending more time being her lazy self, sleeping on our bed instead of in a corner or some other strange place. it is hard to tell her mood cause she is one of those cats, that, as soon as she stopped being a kitten (about 6 months old) she has always thought she was born to sleep, going from one bed to the other. Not being particularly active and now, at 14 it is hard to know if she is mourning, is really sick or just being herself. We really think the worst is over. Thanks for all your advise.

Nita

Old 06-07-2012, 08:39 PM

122 posts, read 97,751 times
SO sorry for your loss. Give the remaining kitty all your love.

Old 06-09-2012, 06:42 AM

11,276 posts, read 19,580,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
Here is an update and we think it is good news. She is eating more, still not a lot, but more and is spending more time being her lazy self, sleeping on our bed instead of in a corner or some other strange place. it is hard to tell her mood cause she is one of those cats, that, as soon as she stopped being a kitten (about 6 months old) she has always thought she was born to sleep, going from one bed to the other. Not being particularly active and now, at 14 it is hard to know if she is mourning, is really sick or just being herself. We really think the worst is over. Thanks for all your advise.

Nita
Thanks for the update, I'm so glad to hear your little girl is doing better.

Old 06-09-2012, 03:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catsmom21 View Post
Thanks for the update, I'm so glad to hear your little girl is doing better.
She is completely back to her old self, eating fine and as lazy as ever. I guess, at 14 she deserves to be lazy.

Nita

Old 06-09-2012, 07:48 PM

1,881 posts, read 3,353,365 times
you should get another kitty!!!!!!!!!!! one to keep her company! she could live for years and years and it might make her sad to remember the happy times when she had a little friend of her own. you could make another cat very happy!!!!!

Old 06-09-2012, 08:09 PM

3,712 posts, read 11,037,076 times
glad to hear she's doing better.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats