Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2012, 05:30 AM

943 posts, read 1,843,947 times

Advertisements

Well...lol I bought my cat a carrier from Salvation Army thought I was getting the deal of a lifetime.. More like a good laugh...lol cat walked in laid down i shut and locked the plastic door and plastic locks. figured I take a 15 min shower to test him and his new aka caboose before we travel......... LOL he broke out he tore the plastic door and plastic locks OFF........I was LMAO because I come out of the shower an Houdini is lying in my bed cleaning himself as if to say WTF did you think i was gonna just sit in that cheap azz thang and Wait till you finish your spa shower??? lol

So now I am going to get him a new caboose aka carrier at Petco or Petsmart with a metal sturdy door and lock.

My question is, when I have him in his caboose in my car where is the safest place to put him. in the back seat or the floor of the car, Front seat or the front floor of the car. I know the trunk is not a good idea.....and not gonna do a Mitt Romney and put him on top of the car.

BTW I have a Hyundai Accent 06 but lots of times I rent cars when I am traveling.

what other suggestions like food water etc do you suggest or not suggest while we are on the road. I don't want him sick and i dont want him dehydrated this summer. should i put some plastic padding in cas he has to releive himself? let me know what his set up should be.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2012, 05:43 AM

27,074 posts, read 11,841,613 times
Funny Lavender!

...had a cat that blew out of his carrier too but he was a feral I was trying to get to the vet.

Are you going to be traveling a lot? Do you expect to take your cat along for extended trips? Covered water/food bowls...but I usually don't feed my cats while traveling...just water. When traveling short distances I put a small litter box in the front seat floor, FYI.

They aren't too happy in those carriers for long...the less the better, IMO. Also, others will chime in but in your car, I would put mine on the floor behind you. I have a small suv mostly because of the hatchback door for taking them in and out... and there is room for a cat box in the back too.

Yes, no trunk and no roof!

Quote:
Originally Posted by =Lavender= View Post
Well...lol I bought my cat a carrier from Salvation Army thought I was getting the deal of a lifetime.. More like a good laugh...lol cat walked in laid down i shut and locked the plastic door and plastic locks. figured I take a 15 min shower to test him and his new aka caboose before we travel......... LOL he broke out he tore the plastic door and plastic locks OFF........I was LMAO because I come out of the shower an Houdini is lying in my bed cleaning himself as if to say WTF did you think i was gonna just sit in that cheap azz thang and Wait till you finish your spa shower??? lol

So now I am going to get him a new caboose aka carrier at Petco or Petsmart with a metal sturdy door and lock.

My question is, when I have him in his caboose in my car where is the safest place to put him. in the back seat or the floor of the car, Front seat or the front floor of the car. I know the trunk is not a good idea.....and not gonna do a Mitt Romney and put him on top of the car.

BTW I have a Hyundai Accent 06 but lots of times I rent cars when I am traveling.

what other suggestions like food water etc do you suggest or not suggest while we are on the road. I don't want him sick and i dont want him dehydrated this summer. should i put some plastic padding in cas he has to releive himself? let me know what his set up should be.

Old 06-18-2012, 06:28 AM

943 posts, read 1,843,947 times
Let me get this right .... you travel with the cat without a carrier? I ask becuase you have a litter box in the front and the cat is in the back so or he can unlock his carrier and know his litter box is up front when he ha to go... CONFUSSED here.

He is going on long and short trips and will be going overseas. So I need a good carrier for car travels and airline travels. He is going to get his international chip and scanner placed soon. He is going to Europe & UK with me.

As per car travels short drives and maybe up to 5 hour drives.

I don't know but i feel that its not safe for him not to be in a carrier when I am driving. What if he distracts me, jumps on me or who knows what when i am driving I can end up in a accident or worse kill my self and others

http://www.petco.com/product/112811/...atSFC_Carriers just found this one looks nice

Last edited by =Lavender=; 06-18-2012 at 06:39 AM..

Old 06-18-2012, 07:37 AM

27,074 posts, read 11,841,613 times
No he was in a carrier, I would just stop and open the carrier door every few hours...and he would use it, no problems...

When moving I use a 4x4 mesh/canvas tent in the back of my suv, because it was such a long drive...not as safe but they were very happy, could move around a bit, and a box fit in there too....not even a peep from anyone of the 4 (that I had at the time).

Now my dad did let his cat free in the car, but only for short drives and she sat in his lap the whole time...still, not safe.

Old 06-18-2012, 07:51 AM

9,912 posts, read 24,645,588 times
I like that Aviator carrier in the Petco link.

You might want two though. I've had hard carriers and soft, and while it may be just the individual carriers and/or individual cat, a hard carrier seems better for car trips. But for an airplane, you want soft and a carrier that meets acceptable carry-on requirements (because you're damn well not going to put him in the cargo hold I take it!)

If you're going to do hours-long car rides, you might want a larger crate of some kind, but maybe not. Maybe just breaks outside the carrier as greatblueheron describes, if you can do that carefully.

For both you should get him used to harness and leash. When going through the airport you'll be required to take him out of the carrier so they can scan the carrier (do not let them x-ray the cat with the baggage machine, LOL, although these days you might get stuck x-raying him with the human machine, or be subjected to the pat down, or who knows what BS). The last thing you need is for a cat to escape in a large unfamiliar place.

Also make sure you familiarize yourself with the quarantine laws for Europe. The UK in particular has always been strict with that.

Oh and FWIW safest in the car would be buckled in most likely, and in the back seat. You don't want him on the front seat with the airbag (I guess some airbags are also in the back). The floor would be good but still not so good in an accident unless it can be strapped in down there somewhere.

Old 06-18-2012, 10:09 AM

19,855 posts, read 65,802,767 times
Buckle the seat belt through the carrier handle so he doesn't become an airborn missle in case of an abrupt stop or crash. Both of you will survive longer! Yeah, and PLEASE don't check him on flights, kiss of death too many times.

When I drove 3 days to my new home with 2 dogs and 3 cats, the cats never drank or used the litter box except at night in the room, so I quit bothering after the 2nd morning. I locked them in the bathroom at night so they wouldn't get under the bed where I couldn't reach them in the morning.

Old 06-18-2012, 03:06 PM

4,918 posts, read 22,673,640 times
The best way is whatever is easiest and safest for the animal.

The floor is not the safest place for a few reasons
1. toxic fumes tend to hug the floor thats why they don't let you put babies in seats on the floor.
2. The floor, both front and back are crush zones where the car is designed to crsuh since your legs are pretty thin compared to the space, but a cat in a carrier pretty much fills a big hunk of that spot.
3. Air circulation can be stiffled depending on car design and carrier openings.
4. The floor has less absorbing properties over the padded seat so its abit more bumpy right on the floor.
5. Its a unnatural position for you the person to be in if dealing with the animal in the carrier. This forces you to have to relocate the carrier to do many task.

The seat is is centrally located, has good air circulations, is in the same "comfort" zione as you are, you have direct access, has absorbing capabilites both for normal movement and in a collision, and you can interact with the animal a whiole lot better when its within eye sight of you. However, there are draw backs with the number on being that many seat are not flat. So your cat may be forced to ride on a slight (may not even been considerd by the human) incline that cat be a bit unsettle over a long distance. There are foam wedges that you can buy to level the seat. The other major drawback is that unless you have a specific car approved carrier, they don;t have safety fastening points so you left with just rigging something that may actually cause more harm than good in a accident.

If you can there are carriers designed for vehicles that has a slots that let a standard lap belt provide the 3 point holding when in a collision. There is also a new seat restraint strap system (at least in use in asia) thatlets you strap the carrier to the seat back with straps and buckles. In some countries I have seen a back seat condo for cats that is one large wire crate that fits across the whole back seat and has a cat house on one end and a litter box on the other that can be removed cleaned.changed withiout havingt o opent he crate. I alsio think it had a divide that can be inserted to create 2 sepearte crates and the ability to remove the house (carrier of sorts) without removing the entire crate.

Bottom line, the cat may not care as much as you do about all the materialistic things so concentrate on its safety first and most of the other stuff will just fall in place.

Old 06-18-2012, 03:10 PM

18,836 posts, read 37,347,105 times
I used a large puppy crate, room for a cat bed/pillow, and a small cat box. It is large, cost around $100 at Petco, mesh and PVC, canvas crate. Jasper travels like a king...a very disgruntled, pouty, king...

Old 06-18-2012, 03:30 PM

7,201 posts, read 14,983,104 times
Quote:

Wherever you put him, make sure his carrier is STRAPPED in in some way, even if you have to use bungee cords.

Quote:
Quote:
It would be cruel to go that long where he's forced to dirty in his carrier or crate. 4 to 5 hours on the road is enough. Give him a break in the motel room with a real litter pan. They have real small ones my cats use when on the road.

Old 06-18-2012, 03:50 PM

7,201 posts, read 14,983,104 times
Quote:

He is going on long and short trips and will be going overseas. So I need a good carrier for car travels and airline travels. He is going to get his international chip and scanner placed soon. He is going to Europe & UK with me.

Are you aware you have to pay to keep him in quarantine for 6 months to get him into the UK?

Quote:
As per car travels short drives and maybe up to 5 hour drives.
That should be the maximum. Or you can rent or buy a van and use one of those larger cat-cages with a litterpan and water bowl.

Quote:
I don't know but i feel that its not safe for him not to be in a carrier when I am driving. What if he distracts me, jumps on me or who knows what when i am driving I can end up in a accident or worse kill my self and others
For his own safety as well as yours, keep him in a large cat-cage/crate w/litterpan, or carrier.

Quote:
http://www.petco.com/product/112811/Pet-Gear-Red-Aviator-Bag.aspx?CoreCat=CatSFC_Carriers
Quote:
just found this one looks nice
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats