Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2012, 02:31 AM

15,700 posts, read 17,036,788 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
Because she can. *sigh*

Keep some rags and a whisk broom handy. They never eat all they spill ... *sigh*
Isn't that the truth!

I wish they would lick their plates clean and eat every single crumb like dogs do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2012, 12:23 PM

14,688 posts, read 26,603,990 times
Cause cats are nuts.

Old 06-20-2012, 01:11 PM

585 posts, read 2,014,607 times
First: thank you for saving the life of a sheltered animal! You will be rewarded with a lifetime of love, it's said that rehomed animals are some of the most loyal out there, as if they know you were their hero. Well done

Second: this is totally normal. My Buck (also a shelter kitty, adopted when he was 2 months old - I didn't plan on getting a kitten that day but he had something else in mind when he jumped onto the cage bars and demanded I take him home, who was I to argue cat logic?) does this... it's annoying as I have a dual water/food bowl along with separate water and food bowls so some inevitably ends up in the water bowl... he always bats the kibble out of the kibble bowl and prefers to eat it off the floor. His brother will even flip kibble out of the bowl so he can get it off the floor, they make a game of it.

Third: as has been suggested on this thread (even if you aren't asking for it), please take a minute to read through the MANY MANY threads on this forum about feeding just for educational purposes (or any other thread for that matter, you'll learn a lot just looking around!). Then you will be an INFORMED cat owner and some of the kooky things your kitty does will make a lot more sense. Not lecturing, not suggesting anything, just saying there is quite a bit of helpful information here and anyone here will be happy to offer TONS of advice if you need it (and, obviously, even if you don't) so don't be afraid to ask!

Congrats on your new friend!

Old 06-21-2012, 10:29 AM

9,101 posts, read 16,449,841 times
I think the whisker interference issue may explain why cats do that. I used to feed my cat using a bowl but after getting tired of having to clean up the residue of all the food he'd scoop onto the floor to eat, I switched to a plate and the problem has been solved. He keeps the food on the plate (although he does spread it around a bit) and his whiskers are untouched while he eats.

Old 06-21-2012, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by emilybh View Post
I think the whisker interference issue may explain why cats do that. I used to feed my cat using a bowl but after getting tired of having to clean up the residue of all the food he'd scoop onto the floor to eat, I switched to a plate and the problem has been solved. He keeps the food on the plate (although he does spread it around a bit) and his whiskers are untouched while he eats.
I bought special bowls just for that purpose that are lower to the ground. They did seem to like them but unfortunately the water one was so shallow and easy to tip over, the kittens would just stomp around on it and get water all over the place

Old 06-21-2012, 06:03 PM

9,101 posts, read 16,449,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by killabunnies View Post
I bought special bowls just for that purpose that are lower to the ground. They did seem to like them but unfortunately the water one was so shallow and easy to tip over, the kittens would just stomp around on it and get water all over the place
I never thought about the same problem with the water bowl. He'll still drink the water out of a regular bowl. I do have some wide mouthed soup bowls though. Maybe I'll start putting his water in that so his water drinking will be more pleasurable.

Old 06-21-2012, 06:07 PM

10,564 posts, read 12,814,161 times
Sounds like you have a cat that wants to remain a cat - This is wild behavior. The cat does not want to eat off a plate or out of a bowl..It's the hunter instinct...If the cat killed a mouse it would not bring it home and put the thing on a plate for supper- It would eat it on the ground....I like your cat already- sounds like a good one.

Old 06-21-2012, 06:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by emilybh View Post
I never thought about the same problem with the water bowl. He'll still drink the water out of a regular bowl. I do have some wide mouthed soup bowls though. Maybe I'll start putting his water in that so his water drinking will be more pleasurable.
This is the one we have: Petstages Dish Comfort Water

I stopped using it when my senior could no longer crouch down that low due to her sore little bones but brought it back out for the kittens and they loved it, though like I said they might also make a mess so have a good mat under it with high sides so you don't get water on the floor. It's also easily spilled from the sink to the mat but I just fill it with the water pitcher I keep in my fridge and it's usually empty in the morning so that is a good sign.

Even if they make a mess, the kittens love it and seem to drink more water when I use that one versus the other bowls we have.

Old 06-21-2012, 10:11 PM

18,047 posts, read 15,639,191 times
My cat always drank from the dog's 2 big stainless steel bowls so I kept using those after my dog passed away. She likes to dip her paw in the water or sometimes she'll look at her own reflection. LOL

Old 06-22-2012, 01:50 AM

4,400 posts, read 13,390,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lottamoxie View Post
My cat always drank from the dog's 2 big stainless steel bowls so I kept using those after my dog passed away. She likes to dip her paw in the water or sometimes she'll look at her own reflection. LOL
Sounds like a funny kitty.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats