Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-27-2012, 05:27 PM

4,888 posts, read 13,831,089 times

Advertisements

This situation is entirely new to me, and what better place than here to gain wisdom and advice from?
Sometime during the late winter, a "semi-feral" stray cat - who'd been visiting my porch for food and shelter since last July - gave birth to six kittens. Five of them were trapped and neutered/spayed between the end of April and Memorial Day. All are in the same foster home, I've been told.
The mama cat finally decided to let me befriend her about six weeks ago. Her comfort level today is such that she routinely relaxes on my bed (I work from home, so the window to the porch can stay open.) Most of the time the kitten is there with her. Sooner or later I hope to finally TNR this very shy young-un, whose shyness kept her from being hauled away in a cage but also kept her from being "socialized."
So...has anybody had personal dealings with this before? The mom and her "catolescent" daughter are rarely apart for long, though Mom has given plenty of signs of wanting to be rid of her between rounds of affectionate grooming and play. Whenever I'm away for more than an hour I have to secure the house as a common-sense precaution in our urban neighborhood. Usually this ends up being an non-issue since I'm able to coax the pair outside. But that'll change once the elder cat is fully "homed" and the days start getting colder again. What is also likely to change is the relationship dynamic between the two of them.
Answer away! And, thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2012, 02:13 AM

10,420 posts, read 14,601,055 times
I have a former feral cat who decided that he wanted to be my pet. He lived under the porch of the house I had before this one. There was a large colony of Great Horned Owls in the area. I did a TN but there was no R. My other cat died shortly after I brought him in (no connection). This one was a terror. He'd snarl at me and storm towards me. He was in one room for about two weeks when he ran out one day. Although he was in the house I didn't see him for six months. He'd eat his food and use his box, both of which I kept behind things so my two dogs wouldn't eat his food or disturb him.

One day he was lying on the kitchen counter. I slowly brought my hand near him and then stroked him. He's been my boy ever since; he's extemely affecoinate. He has no problems with my dogs. He was upset when my younger one licked his face. She was used to a cat who let her lick him and even take his head in her mouth. She's still little afraid of him after five years but he bears no animosity. My older dog occasionally gives him a rather thorough sniffing but there's no problem. He frequently follows them around and is always in the bedroom with them and me at night.

I think you know what I'm going to suggest. Close the openimgs and see what they do. They already think it's their home. Let them initiate physical contact. All of the experts told me it couldn't be done. But it could. The key is patience. Get three boxes. My rule of thumb is one per cat plus one.

There are often a few mules mixed with herds of horses and donkies. It's said that it's almost impossible to tame one but if you ever do you have a friend for life. I know that mules and cats are different but I also know that all animals want love.

Old 06-28-2012, 05:33 AM

11,276 posts, read 19,573,066 times
If they are in the house when you leave, close the window and leave them in the house, with litter box and water. They have chosen to come into the house, they know it is a safe home.

If it were me, I'd be inclined to keep that kitten in the house permanently, or at least until I was able to have her spayed. She's going to go into heat pretty soon.

She's had contact with you since she was born, so she's really not all that feral.

Old 06-29-2012, 01:12 PM

2,807 posts, read 7,585,225 times
I agree with the previous posters, I really think if you can keep the kitten inside, she'll warm up to you and not go feral. It's worth a try! And you would also be sure no stray toms will get to her!

I bet if you get one of those wand toys and start waving it around, that kitten will not be able to resist playing with you...you obviously have a finely-tuned "cat vibe" or Blaliko wouldn't have chosen you in the first place...I have every faith that you can win her over !

Old 06-29-2012, 05:38 PM

4,888 posts, read 13,831,089 times
I figured this forum was, shall we say, close-knit...and now the proverbial cat's out of the bag. Yes - I was posting about Blaliko and Seteria. Closing them in the house (post-TNR for Seteria) may work down the line. For now the plan is to keep them indoor/outdoor since that's how Blaliko existed for at least a year and it's all Seteria knows. But the first change I'll implement after Seteria's "female operation" will be to bring the feeding station and water cooler into the house. OH, and naturally Weasie's litter box will be brought back out of storage. I just got in from picking up a 31-lb box of Arm & Hammer kitty litter (50% off at Petco!)
After they get the hang of eating and "eliminating" inside I'll revisit the indoor-only idea.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats