Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2012, 07:40 PM

25,386 posts, read 35,554,254 times

Advertisements

5 years ago, I inherited my dad's cat when dad died. At the time he was 25 pounds of very mad cat (used to being an only cat with just my dad around not a noisy household with other cats and kids). In the last 5 years he's become an affectionate lap cat and we've grown quite attached to him. Well, Harl's lost a lot of weight really fast and I thought it was time to put him down but the blood work showed he is hyperthroid AND that his kidneys are failing. Unfortunately, the medication for hypothyroidism aggrevates the kidney problems so he's on a minimum dose and barely holding on to a skinny 12 pounds. He has good days when he wants to play and bad days when he just wants to sleep. I know it won't be long until he's gone. We've decided not to put him down as he should have a peaceful end. Losing him is going to be hard. He's the last link to my dad. He was dad's best buddy. It's hard to watch them fail.

I'm not looking for advice. I just need to talk about losing him. We'll keep him on the lowest dose of the thyroid medication and keep him comfortable but his time is close. He's had 17 good years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2012, 08:06 PM

7,329 posts, read 16,432,005 times
I'm very sorry about Harl. It's so hard to watch them as their health fails. I hope he will go peacefully.

Old 07-07-2012, 08:15 PM

585 posts, read 2,015,828 times
I am so sorry both for the loss of your dad and to hear his friend isn't doing so well - I know exactly what you mean, I inherited my mother's cat from her when she died and we've had a great few years but she's barely hanging on these days herself. Today was one of the bad days where she barely moves, not even for dinner.

Please keep us updated and know you are in my thoughts.

Old 07-07-2012, 09:24 PM

11,276 posts, read 19,591,664 times
How wonderful that he was able recover from his loss and adjust to his new family and have such a nice life with you all these years.It sounds like he's still enjoying his life with you and not ready to give it up just yet.

Please don't rule out euthanasia, when the time comes. Suffering is not a "peaceful" end. Euthanasia is often one of the biggest gifts of love you can give, a dignified and peaceful passing in the arms of a beloved human. Sometimes a cat will just go peacefully in his sleep, but not often.

Old 07-07-2012, 10:40 PM

2,266 posts, read 3,718,143 times
We fought a hyperthyroid in one of our seniors for 8 years. We did radio-iodine twice and used medication afterwards, raising and lowering as we needed to. He never got back to his old weight, but he stayed fairly healthy until the very end. In the end though, the ailments overtook the ability to fight - arthritis, hyperthyroidism, a bone at the base of his tail moving funny and finally a fast growing tumor in his mouth broke the camels back. Like catsmom said, euthanasia is a peaceful end, we put Sam down before it got bad and it's one of the hardest things I've ever had to do.

Old 07-07-2012, 11:59 PM

2,807 posts, read 7,588,192 times
My mom's elderly cat stayed pretty comfortable and happy with holistic support when he developed hyperthyroid. There are other options out there besides the toxic chemical protocols most conventional vets offer...I think with elderly cats, a holistic approach is much easier on the animal, with better results. If there are any holistic vets in your area, I encourage you to seek their guidance to help you figure out the best regime for keeping him as comfortable as possible until he's ready to move on from this world. Some of the things they did for mom's cat were acupuncture, massage therapy, and chiropractic adjustments with a small instrument that would be run down the length of his spine, along with certain herbal supplements to be taken with his meals. The treatments really helped him a lot, and he would always have a good poop and deep sleep afterwards.

He passed away last December, we don't know if it was the hyperthyroid or his heart (he had also been taking atenalol for years, which is one of the reasons why mom didn't want to add any more meds to his life when he was diagnosed with hyperthyroid)...we had gotten the first indications that he was starting to suffer, and knowing it would only get worse and possibly drag out for a long time, mom made the decision to help him pass before that happened. When I looked into his eyes that last night, I knew he was too tired to fight anymore and just wanted to be released. So we wrapped him in one of his favorite blankets, and as we headed toward the door with him in mom's arms, he decided to spare all of us that last trip, and passed quietly right there in her arms.

When you look into his eyes, you'll know when and if it's time...(((HUGS))).

Old 07-08-2012, 01:11 AM

157 posts, read 587,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luvmycat View Post
My mom's elderly cat stayed pretty comfortable and happy with holistic support when he developed hyperthyroid. There are other options out there besides the toxic chemical protocols most conventional vets offer...I think with elderly cats, a holistic approach is much easier on the animal, with better results. If there are any holistic vets in your area, I encourage you to seek their guidance to help you figure out the best regime for keeping him as comfortable as possible until he's ready to move on from this world. Some of the things they did for mom's cat were acupuncture, massage therapy, and chiropractic adjustments with a small instrument that would be run down the length of his spine, along with certain herbal supplements to be taken with his meals. The treatments really helped him a lot, and he would always have a good poop and deep sleep afterwards.

He passed away last December, we don't know if it was the hyperthyroid or his heart (he had also been taking atenalol for years, which is one of the reasons why mom didn't want to add any more meds to his life when he was diagnosed with hyperthyroid)...we had gotten the first indications that he was starting to suffer, and knowing it would only get worse and possibly drag out for a long time, mom made the decision to help him pass before that happened. When I looked into his eyes that last night, I knew he was too tired to fight anymore and just wanted to be released. So we wrapped him in one of his favorite blankets, and as we headed toward the door with him in mom's arms, he decided to spare all of us that last trip, and passed quietly right there in her arms.

O what a sad yet happy story...that little guy was going to go 'his way' wasn't he..good for him. I wish they would all just fade away peacefully like that and save us that horrible final decision.

My old boy also had hyperT and heart disease, he laid beside me every night as I listened to his labored breathing, thinking/praying for his sake this would be the night...but no he just kept failing and loosing more and more of any quality of life...so our dear Vet came to the house that inevitable last morning, he had been at clinics so often the last few years and became so stressed out I just couldn't put him through that anymore, I had promised him after the last visit, that was it NO MORE my buddy....its been said so many times but its so very true that final decision is the hardest one you'll ever make, we feel we have given up on our kitties...but in truth we are releasing them and they smile down on us for doing so. do not keep your baby alive for your sakes, kitties don't show pain very well and sometimes we miss the signs...sending some ((>^.^<))

Old 07-08-2012, 05:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catsmom21 View Post
How wonderful that he was able recover from his loss and adjust to his new family and have such a nice life with you all these years.It sounds like he's still enjoying his life with you and not ready to give it up just yet.

Please don't rule out euthanasia, when the time comes. Suffering is not a "peaceful" end. Euthanasia is often one of the biggest gifts of love you can give, a dignified and peaceful passing in the arms of a beloved human. Sometimes a cat will just go peacefully in his sleep, but not often.
I lost a cat to kidney failure before. In the end, they just go to sleep and don't wake up. The vet tells me they don't suffer. They're just very tired. I wouldn't let an animal continue in pain.

Old 07-08-2012, 05:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvmycat View Post

Thanks. Harls needs the medication. He lost over half of his body weight before they stabilized him and if he misses a dose, you can see the weight come off. I'm hoping he goes, peacefully, on his own. I lost a cat before to kidney failure. He just stopped eating and went to sleep in his favorite place. The dryer.

Some days I think Harl's time has come but then he rallies. He's having a good day today. He went out to watch the squirrels this morning. He's not ready to go yet. I think you're right though. The time will come when I look in his eyes and know it's time.

Old 07-08-2012, 05:51 PM

41,967 posts, read 75,229,826 times
I'm sorry your kitty is failing. Give him a pet for me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats