Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2012, 04:46 PM

1,830 posts, read 6,152,061 times

Advertisements

Both cats are neutered/spayed. Miss Kitty, thinks she's the alpha pet (we have a dog, too) Sometimes Miss Kitty & Chester play nicely and chase each other around but often, Chester will go after her despite her growling. He will grab her and the fur flies. Sometimes he corners her on the top of a very high kitchen cupboard, forcing her to jump. When I'm home and this goes on, Chester gets a "time out" in another room. What's really going on with this behavior? Any suggestions appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2012, 06:28 PM

27,074 posts, read 11,844,907 times
Poor little girl-cat. I have had the same issues in the past and now too. While some of my neutered males never have acted that agressively, both of my males now act this way toward my one little female, at times.

They both ADORE her MOST of the time, that is clear. BUT, playfulness seems to get out of hand and they both can be just mean...biting and harrassing and cornering her until she hisses and screams. She is not ever hurt... just intimidated. And she is a lot smaller in size than either male.

Males get caught up in that dominant behavior. Mine are now indoor cats and I feel they have a lot of pent-up behaviors that get the best of them on occasion.

I do try to intervene...

Old 07-02-2012, 08:01 PM

11,276 posts, read 19,561,395 times
Try playing with him more. Cats thrive best in routine, so set up scheduled play times where he gets 10-15 minutes of your devoted attention at the same times each day, 2 or 3 times a day. It won't take him long to start expecting and looking forward to these times. Getting plenty of interactive exercise will cut down on his need to look for other amusements, such as harassing Kitty.

In adddtion, when he appears to be going into a harass-Kitty mode, distract him before he gets started with a quick game of some sort.

If you haven't, install feliway plug in diffusers, and make sure you have at least three litter boxes, or even four. Feliway helps with territorial feelings, and having plenty of litter boxes can also help cut down on dominance or territorial behaviors.

Old 07-03-2012, 06:44 AM

41,950 posts, read 75,153,734 times
My male cat will attack my female cat as well, and she's much smaller than he is. Usually she just runs away; sometimes she swats at him (I always cheer her on when she does this).

And sometimes he'll try to jump on her, and she springs vertically right over him. I wish I had a perpetual Kitty Cam!

That's why I keep a bell on him, but not on her. It gives her another advantage, other than being more nimble than he is.

Old 07-03-2012, 07:25 AM

2,162 posts, read 3,364,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Townandcountrygal View Post
Both cats are neutered/spayed. Miss Kitty, thinks she's the alpha pet (we have a dog, too) Sometimes Miss Kitty & Chester play nicely and chase each other around but often, Chester will go after her despite her growling. He will grab her and the fur flies. Sometimes he corners her on the top of a very high kitchen cupboard, forcing her to jump. When I'm home and this goes on, Chester gets a "time out" in another room. What's really going on with this behavior? Any suggestions appreciated.
Just becasue he was neutered does not mean he is less "boy." It is typical male behavior. Mine does the same thing to his mom. They have that eternal playfullness. Just like men...

Old 07-04-2012, 12:05 PM

1,830 posts, read 6,152,061 times
Sounds like this behavior is common and that maybe the male cats are just more playful and want to "roughhouse" more. There are 3 litter boxes for the 2 cats but didn't think about the Feliway so will try that too. I try to play with the cats regularly but find that what helps the male most is getting outdoors--but, living in the country, I normally walk the cats individually on leash. What they really love and get real exercise doing is walking off leash along with the dog but there's some risk if a coyote is nearby--and then there are rattlers, lizards, toads, and spiders around, too.Appreciate hearing from you all--thank you.

Old 04-12-2014, 11:05 PM

1 posts, read 40,571 times
I have the same issue. A five year and 1 1/2 year old male constantly harass my 7 year old female cat. We play with them all equally. We have a big house and they have plenty of room. Any information would be appreciated. I also have an 8 year old male and a 12 year old male who never harass her.

Old 04-13-2014, 07:27 AM

4,676 posts, read 9,988,031 times
Same here. Charcoal is 2, Lily 10-1/2. He wants to play. She doesn't. Lily also doesn't have an aggressive bone in her body. I wish she'd just wallop Charcoal, but she won't.

However, there are times after Charcoal pounces on her that she will give him a good kick with her back feet .. which surprises him and sends him running away.

Charcoal does get two 20 minute sessions a day with his tether ball - morning and evening and has more toys than I really have room for.

I told Lily she needs to learn how to use a water pistol.

Old 02-20-2016, 07:47 AM

2 posts, read 29,001 times
Our male cat is turning two this month and
is still running around and chasing our female cat what am I supposed to do? He doesn't really care for toys that much either he just does this for no reason and it is really getting on my last nerves it has been for a while. The female cat is turning two next month.

Old 02-20-2016, 12:16 PM

9,127 posts, read 9,362,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Transit buses View Post
Our male cat is turning two this month and
is still running around and chasing our female cat what am I supposed to do? He doesn't really care for toys that much either he just does this for no reason and it is really getting on my last nerves it has been for a while. The female cat is turning two next month.
Are your cats neutered & spayed? If not, that's probably the primary reason. It's also possible the female is a bit fearful of the male, and is telegraphing that to him making him more aggressive. Try to re-direct him with food, treats, play session, etc., if things get serious. You don't say if he actually attacks her, and if not, it could be just his way of 'playing', and she's not agreeable to it.
I have the same situation with 2 spayed females that are seniors. One is rather passive, and the other pushy & dominate (& doesn't like other cats). They don't like each other at all, and the dominant one will challenge & chase the fearful one on occasion. They never actually fight, and co-exist for the most part. But I do have to keep an eye on them. You could have similar situation going on.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats