U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2012, 05:15 PM

2,807 posts, read 7,295,039 times

Advertisements

I was trying to wait a bit longer to make sure my current regime for Harley is as effective as it seems to be, but I'm seeing such a difference already I couldn't wait any longer, LOL!

Long story short, she's 16 now and started dropping weight...she also started vomiting, not every day, but enough to worry me and make an appointment with our holistic vet. I had a feeling it was a digestive issue because pate-style food would stay down for the most part, but the shredded and chunky styles that she LOVES were coming right back up again, every time...my thinking was that because the pate style is so processed it was easier for her to digest, but her body just couldn't handle breaking down the shreds/chunks, it was too much work.

He explained that sometimes when cats age their bodies have a harder time producing the enzymes needed for good digestion. My vet is a firm believer in regular de-worming as well (he and his wife de-worm themselves too since they work with so many animals), so she got panacur for that and he also gave me a mixture of enzymes and probiotics to be mixed with aloe and noni juice as a supplement. The instructions were to put the mixture in a syringe and squirt it down her throat, but this didn't sit well with her so instead I mix it into her food, and she eats it right up, no problem.

It's been almost a week now, and I'm happy to say there has been NO puking whatsoever, and I can feel that she's a bit heavier when I pick her up now . I haven't tried to give her the shredded/chunk style food yet because I don't want to push it when she's doing so well, but my plan is to re-introduce this style of food after 2 weeks as long as there's still no vomiting going on.

So I just wanted to share this in case any of you are having a similar issue with your cats...it could be as simple as adding enzymes and probiotics to their diet, but I do recommend seeing a holistic vet to get these supplements, because there are a lot of ineffective ones for sale on-line that will just be a waste of money. The mix and the aloe/noni all came to roughly $40, and there's enough to last for at least a month, which isn't too shabby in my book, especially if it means my little old lady cat is happy and comfortable...I want her to live to at least age 25 !
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-04-2012, 12:28 PM

157 posts, read 559,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luvmycat View Post
I was trying to wait a bit longer to make sure my current regime for Harley is as effective as it seems to be, but I'm seeing such a difference already I couldn't wait any longer, LOL!

Long story short, she's 16 now and started dropping weight...she also started vomiting, not every day, but enough to worry me and make an appointment with our holistic vet. I had a feeling it was a digestive issue because pate-style food would stay down for the most part, but the shredded and chunky styles that she LOVES were coming right back up again, every time...my thinking was that because the pate style is so processed it was easier for her to digest, but her body just couldn't handle breaking down the shreds/chunks, it was too much work.

He explained that sometimes when cats age their bodies have a harder time producing the enzymes needed for good digestion. My vet is a firm believer in regular de-worming as well (he and his wife de-worm themselves too since they work with so many animals), so she got panacur for that and he also gave me a mixture of enzymes and probiotics to be mixed with aloe and noni juice as a supplement. The instructions were to put the mixture in a syringe and squirt it down her throat, but this didn't sit well with her so instead I mix it into her food, and she eats it right up, no problem.

It's been almost a week now, and I'm happy to say there has been NO puking whatsoever, and I can feel that she's a bit heavier when I pick her up now . I haven't tried to give her the shredded/chunk style food yet because I don't want to push it when she's doing so well, but my plan is to re-introduce this style of food after 2 weeks as long as there's still no vomiting going on.

So I just wanted to share this in case any of you are having a similar issue with your cats...it could be as simple as adding enzymes and probiotics to their diet, but I do recommend seeing a holistic vet to get these supplements, because there are a lot of ineffective ones for sale on-line that will just be a waste of money. The mix and the aloe/noni all came to roughly $40, and there's enough to last for at least a month, which isn't too shabby in my book, especially if it means my little old lady cat is happy and comfortable...I want her to live to at least age 25 !

Luv...so happy you found something that works for your dear kitty, the Vet is so right about digestion and pets especially elderly ones...not unlike us humans..this is also especially important after any antibiotic medication.

I just wanted to add a plug for another wonderful probiotic that is recommended by many in the holistic field, it has 12 strains, is FREE of gluten, coloring and preservatives and very good for kitties. I use it for myself in the pill form and for my cats in the powder form..just mix a pinch in with their food. Its not expensive IMO...$31.80 a jar. lasts a long time.

Garden of Life, Primal Defense, Powder, HSO Probiotic Formula, 81 g - iHerb.com

Old 07-04-2012, 02:22 PM

Thanks for the link, this looks like a great product!
I normally take "Culturelle" brand probiotics for myself, but this seems like a better deal, and I'll give it a try when I start to run low on the other stuff .
For Harley, I'll stick to what the doc mixes up for her since she's doing so well on it, but for myself, I'm willing to experiment .

Old 07-04-2012, 03:17 PM

36,500 posts, read 51,444,179 times
Oscar is only 10 but was puking regularly and losing weight. I spent $1200+ at NC Vet school to have him tested = IBD. He was as much as 17 lbs and when he got sick he was a bit over 9 . he's a Ragdoll and his brother Langley is about 14 lb.

I have been feeding Oscar only expensive RX Hills z/d which is the consistency you describe for your cat. We also had him on de- worming meds and a steroid I believe. Oscar still coughs up hair balls from time to time but no barfing of food unless he sneaks a bit of Langley's regular food. We feed them together on the bathroom counter and a family member has to baby sit to make sure Oscar doesn't creep into Langley's food.

This food is very expensive and I know he would like something else but I'm afraid to try anything else. What other cat foods do you know of with the properties Oscar needs? I haven't taken him back to any vet for months since he seems to be ok but I would like to fatten him up a bit.

Old 07-04-2012, 05:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
Oscar is only 10 but was puking regularly and losing weight. I spent $1200+ at NC Vet school to have him tested = IBD. He was as much as 17 lbs and when he got sick he was a bit over 9 . he's a Ragdoll and his brother Langley is about 14 lb.

I have been feeding Oscar only expensive RX Hills z/d which is the consistency you describe for your cat. We also had him on de- worming meds and a steroid I believe. Oscar still coughs up hair balls from time to time but no barfing of food unless he sneaks a bit of Langley's regular food. We feed them together on the bathroom counter and a family member has to baby sit to make sure Oscar doesn't creep into Langley's food.

This food is very expensive and I know he would like something else but I'm afraid to try anything else. What other cat foods do you know of with the properties Oscar needs? I haven't taken him back to any vet for months since he seems to be ok but I would like to fatten him up a bit.
I took a peek at the ingredients in the z/d formula, and noticed it's a limited ingredient formula with no grains, which might be why this works for him...but I'm thinking if he had the help of the enzymes and probiotics, he might be able to have a wider variety of foods with no issues. That's what I'm hoping for with Harley, because I know she misses her Weruva and her Fussie Cat .

Off the top of my head, I know Evo and Before Grain both have very basic ingredients with no grains, so those might be worth a try. The house favorite, and the one brand Harley has always enjoyed and kept down with no issues, is Ziwipeak venison recipe...it does have New Zealand Green Mussel in it though, so it's not as basic as the others. Do you have any holistic vets in your area?

Old 07-05-2012, 06:13 AM

9,869 posts, read 17,458,263 times
I've read a bit on digestive enzymes too, as I have a young cat who has digestive issues and does not absorb nutrients properly.

She takes a probiotic daily, I use ProViable DC, to prevent diarrhea, but she remains too thin, and I cannot coax her into eating more than she does.

I've dithered over ordering Prozyme for months, but now that I have added some raw food to her diet, she is doing much better.

I'm glad the digestive enzymes and probiotics are working for your Harley. Since your vet prepares this himself, I wondered if he has any recommendations on commercial digestive enzyme products.

Old 07-05-2012, 07:30 AM

[quote=luvmycat;25024954]I took a peek at the ingredients in the z/d formula, and noticed it's a limited ingredient formula with no grains, which might be why this works for him...but I'm thinking if he had the help of the enzymes and probiotics, he might be able to have a wider variety of foods with no issues. That's what I'm hoping for with Harley, because I know she misses her Weruva and her Fussie Cat .

Off the top of my head, I know Evo and Before Grain both have very basic ingredients with no grains, so those might be worth a try. The house favorite, and the one brand Harley has always enjoyed and kept down with no issues, is Ziwipeak venison recipe...it does have New Zealand Green Mussel in it though, so it's not as basic as the others. Do you have any holistic vets in your area?[/QUOT

Oscar was on Before Grain when he got sick. Which one is similar to Hills
Rx z/d? and do you think if I gave him a probiotic each day with the BG he might eat more? of course I would be watching him like a hawk to see if he barfs again.

I will say we brushed him for about an hour with the zoom groom and got a huge bag full of his fur. he is noticeably thinner now and how this will help with his hair balls.

Old 07-05-2012, 07:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvmycat View Post
I took a peek at the ingredients in the z/d formula, and noticed it's a limited ingredient formula with no grains, which might be why this works for him...but I'm thinking if he had the help of the enzymes and probiotics, he might be able to have a wider variety of foods with no issues. That's what I'm hoping for with Harley, because I know she misses her Weruva and her Fussie Cat .

Off the top of my head, I know Evo and Before Grain both have very basic ingredients with no grains, so those might be worth a try. The house favorite, and the one brand Harley has always enjoyed and kept down with no issues, is Ziwipeak venison recipe...it does have New Zealand Green Mussel in it though, so it's not as basic as the others. Do you have any holistic vets in your area?
Oscar was on Before grain when he got sick. Do you think if I gave him a probiotic along with BG - which one is similar to Z/D?- that would make him eat more? that is what he is trying to steal from Langley.
I would watch to make sure he doesn't barf.

Old 07-05-2012, 03:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catsmom21 View Post
I've read a bit on digestive enzymes too, as I have a young cat who has digestive issues and does not absorb nutrients properly.

She takes a probiotic daily, I use ProViable DC, to prevent diarrhea, but she remains too thin, and I cannot coax her into eating more than she does.

I've dithered over ordering Prozyme for months, but now that I have added some raw food to her diet, she is doing much better.

I'm glad the digestive enzymes and probiotics are working for your Harley. Since your vet prepares this himself, I wondered if he has any recommendations on commercial digestive enzyme products.
I'll ask him about that on the 14th when I bring her back for her follow-up...I know one of the brands he has in-stock is "Standard Process", which can only be obtained through certain vets/doctors, but I'm not sure what else might be mixed in there.

The "too thin" part frustrates me greatly...I feel like a terrible mamma when I see her so thin, even though I feed her 6x a day (small portions more frequently is easier to digest).

What kind of raw food are you adding? Is is one already mixed/ground you buy, or are you doing it yourself? I tried the raw thing once, and all my cats got sick, so it scared me off .

Old 07-05-2012, 04:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
Oscar was on Before grain when he got sick. Do you think if I gave him a probiotic along with BG - which one is similar to Z/D?- that would make him eat more? that is what he is trying to steal from Langley.
I would watch to make sure he doesn't barf.
The thing with the z/d is that its main ingredient is hydrolized chicken liver...it could be that the process is what makes it easier for him to digest the food, so I don't know if a simple, grain-free, single-source protein food would be similar enough...it would be a risk, so I can understand your reluctance to try something new. It sucks to see them puke and know they're not at their best...so frustrating . Maybe your vet would know if the hydrolization is what makes the food work, and if that's the case, maybe there are other options out there he knows about?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats