Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-04-2012, 08:57 AM

943 posts, read 1,845,047 times

Advertisements

I have been experimenting with different food with my cat.

I saw this in a separate fridge at Walmart. I would like to know if any of you had your cats tried it and is it worth the hype, is it healthy etc.

Freshpet Fresh Pet Food for Healthy Dogs & Cats | Freshpet Natural Pet Food & Treats
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-04-2012, 03:36 PM

2,087 posts, read 4,286,244 times
Go to ASK.COM and then ask this basic question: Who owns ..... ?

Who owns Freshpet? = Tyson Pursues Market for Pampered Pooches
Article
Stock Quotes
Comments (1)
MORE IN BUSINESS »

BY SCOTT KILMAN

With the economy going to the dogs, meatpacking giant Tyson Foods Inc. is forming an alliance to make a product its executives think is recession-proof: deli-like food for pets.

Tyson, Springdale, Ark., is expected to announce Tuesday that it bought a minority stake for millions of dollars in closely held Freshpet Co., a Secaucus, N.J., company that is rolling out refrigerated dog food to thousands of stores such as Kroger, Supervalu and PetSmart.

The Freshpet brand is unusual because the company's executives, a collection of former Meow Mix managers, are ...

There are many more articles to the question: Who owns Freshpet.

Old 07-05-2012, 01:34 AM

Not sure what you mean with your above answer about who owns it. Are they terrorists or something they sound like notable executives from several companies?

has your cat tried it? Would you consider having you cat try it?

Old 07-05-2012, 12:07 PM

2,162 posts, read 3,365,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by =Lavender= View Post
I have been experimenting with different food with my cat.

I saw this in a separate fridge at Walmart. I would like to know if any of you had your cats tried it and is it worth the hype, is it healthy etc.

Freshpet Fresh Pet Food for Healthy Dogs & Cats | Freshpet Natural Pet Food & Treats

Mine love it! It took them a bit to actually eat the carrots, but now they devour the stuff. It's worth every penny if they like it. I guess I am one of those...money is no object when it comes to my kitties.

Old 07-05-2012, 03:21 PM

2,807 posts, read 7,585,764 times
The ingredients look pretty good to me, but have never tried it. Interesting concept...I'm curious!

Old 07-05-2012, 06:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by redvelvet709 View Post
Mine love it! It took them a bit to actually eat the carrots, but now they devour the stuff. It's worth every penny if they like it. I guess I am one of those...money is no object when it comes to my kitties.

you sound like me "Money is no object" RITE ON! Ok I amgoing to get some I really appreciate your input

Old 07-05-2012, 08:39 PM

11,276 posts, read 19,576,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redvelvet709 View Post
I always pick the carrots out of any cat food before I serve it. Carrots offer no nutritional benefit to cats, and they are high in sugar. They are nothing but filler.

Old 07-06-2012, 04:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catsmom21 View Post
I always pick the carrots out of any cat food before I serve it. Carrots offer no nutritional benefit to cats, and they are high in sugar. They are nothing but filler.

ohhhhhhh kayyyyyyyy

Old 07-06-2012, 04:57 AM

9,912 posts, read 24,657,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by =Lavender= View Post
ohhhhhhh kayyyyyyyy
It might be a reasonable idea to educate yourself on the real nutritional needs of cats before making too much fun. I mean, I might not go to the length of pulling out carrots if they happen to be in there (pretty sure I don't get any foods with carrots, but at least one brand that I find to be a good choice in cans does use carrot chunks in a couple of their varieties, large enough that they could be pulled out), but it's not wrong that carrots have about zero nutritional value for cats.

Way too much cat food is designed mainly to make it appealing to HUMANS. A great majority of humans, I would venture, do not realize just how little use a cat has for what appear to us to be healthy vegetables, for example.

With money as no object, one can provide some really fantastic food options I would think. For various reasons I'm not convinced this is one of them. There is fish in all the cat food, for example, even the one that doesn't cite fish in the name has tuna down the list. This is not really ideal on an ongoing basis. Assuming kitty will eat other things it appears to be best to keep fish to an occasional treat (maybe once a week) not an everyday meal.

Old 07-06-2012, 08:36 AM

11,276 posts, read 19,576,592 times
I also pick out potatoes and peas. A cat's body has no use for vegetables, it's just filler added to make the unenlightened human think they are feeding the cat a "balanced diet".

I agree with you Greg, especially about the fish. I feed no fish to my cats. Labels do have to be read carefully, because so many cat foods have fish listed, even when it isn't in the name of the food. A good example would be California Natural's Venison and brown rice. The food is labeled Venison, but smells like fish. Then you look at the ingredients and discover no wonder, fishy ingredients are the second third and fourth ingredients.

I feed only two foods that contain any vegetables, and they are not fed frequently in the rotation, but when I do feed them, I pick out the veggies.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats