Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2012, 07:34 PM

3,082 posts, read 5,438,880 times

Advertisements

http://phys.org/news200164470.html

Do you think this is kind of whacky? I'm a cat owner myself and have known people who've owned cats for a long time and I've never heard of such a thing. As a cat owner, are you at all worried? Has anyone discussed this with their vets? What have they said?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2012, 01:29 AM

2,873 posts, read 5,851,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tekkie View Post
Researchers explore link between schizophrenia, cat parasite

Do you think this is kind of whacky? I'm a cat owner myself and have known people who've owned cats for a long time and I've never heard of such a thing. As a cat owner, are you at all worried? Has anyone discussed this with their vets? What have they said?
The parasite (it isn't a bacteria) is called Toxo. This is nothing new at all...Toxo has always been around, they're just learning more about it works.

You are FAR more likely to get toxo from eating undercooked meat or gardening in soil than you are from your cat. In fact, there's a very good chance that you Tekkie have been exposed to Toxo at some point in your life. It's a very common parasite.

So far as your cats go, the parasite cysts are present in feces, but they take twenty four hours to hatch out and become active. So avoiding Toxo from a cat is as simple as scooping your litterbox everyday. If you're really worried, wear gloves.

If you happen to be pregnant when you get toxo for the very first time, it can cause the fetus to abort. So pregnant women should take common sense precautions like wearing gloves to scoop litter or having their husband do it.

Most people infected with toxo will experience a mild flu-like instance. They aren't likely to even realize anything is wrong. Once you're exposed, it stays in the system. Only in very rare cases does it migrate and cause damage to the brain. It actually happens in cats too...most cats will have a mild fever that their owner won't even detect. Rarely it can cause more serious illness in the feline, including rabies like symptoms (which I've actually witnessed and it was heartbreaking.)

Old 07-12-2012, 04:39 AM

7,201 posts, read 14,993,078 times
Quote:
Researchers explore link between schizophrenia, cat parasite

This is what I got when I clicked on that link.

Visiting this site may harm your computer!

To keep you safe, this page was blocked by Ad-Aware 10 "Shop & Bank safely online" feature. To view this page please disable this functionality in your Ad-Aware 10 interface then try again.

Old 07-12-2012, 06:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by =^..^= View Post
This is what I got when I clicked on that link.

Visiting this site may harm your computer!

To keep you safe, this page was blocked by Ad-Aware 10 "Shop & Bank safely online" feature. To view this page please disable this functionality in your Ad-Aware 10 interface then try again.
Hmmm, sorry that's weird. I assure you that it's not a harmful link. It's a site called phys.org that I came across when Googling this parasite.

Is anyone else getting this message?

Old 07-12-2012, 06:58 AM

Quote:
Hmmm, sorry that's weird. I assure you that it's not a harmful link. It's a site called phys.org that I came across when Googling this parasite.

Is anyone else getting this message?
No, it was fine on mine. I use trend micro and a few other programs

Old 07-12-2012, 07:21 AM

7,329 posts, read 16,425,831 times
Kitty, if you're curious about this story, there's another link here.

//www.city-data.com/forum/cats/...d-suicide.html

Old 07-12-2012, 06:16 PM

Parallel, you seem fairly knowledgeable about this parasite. Have you heard anything about breathing this in while scooping litter? That's my biggest concern really. I wash my hands with soap and water immediately after scooping and usually my hand is only touching the handle, not the actual litter.

Old 07-12-2012, 06:52 PM

Quote:
Parallel, you seem fairly knowledgeable about this parasite. Have you heard anything about breathing this in while scooping litter? That's my biggest concern really. I wash my hands with soap and water immediately after scooping and usually my hand is only touching the handle, not the actual litter.
In everything I've read, the parasite is not airborne. You basically have to touch something, then touch your mouth/face in order to ingest it. The cysts are probably heavier than air.

But again, the easiest way to prevent infection (from felines anyway) is just to scoop every day. Like all parasites, there's a life cycle involved. Toxo is passed in the feces as an encapsulated cyst (think like an egg.) After twenty four hours it 'hatches' and becomes actively infectious. So if you scoop daily, the cysts never have a chance to hatch and become dangerous.

I'm a veterinary technician by trade, so I've dealt with both sides of this- cats who actually were sick from infection, and owners who wanted to get rid of their cats because their misguided doctors told them to. What they don't understand is that they've probably all been infected because they once ate a piece of undercooked meat or pulled some weeds without wearing gloves. News story like this are just fear mongering. It's not that the parasite can't be dangerous or that precaustions shouldn't be taken...but the whole phrasing comes across like you WILL go crazy if you touch a kitty, which just isn't the case.

Old 07-12-2012, 07:17 PM

7,329 posts, read 16,425,831 times
If it really worries you, you could wear a face mask. They sell them at pharmacies, and hardware stores too. It would keep you from breathing the litter dust in too. I don't think it's necessary, but it certainly wouldn't hurt anything to do it.

Old 07-12-2012, 08:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ParallelJJCat View Post
In everything I've read, the parasite is not airborne. You basically have to touch something, then touch your mouth/face in order to ingest it. The cysts are probably heavier than air.

But again, the easiest way to prevent infection (from felines anyway) is just to scoop every day. Like all parasites, there's a life cycle involved. Toxo is passed in the feces as an encapsulated cyst (think like an egg.) After twenty four hours it 'hatches' and becomes actively infectious. So if you scoop daily, the cysts never have a chance to hatch and become dangerous.

I'm a veterinary technician by trade, so I've dealt with both sides of this- cats who actually were sick from infection, and owners who wanted to get rid of their cats because their misguided doctors told them to. What they don't understand is that they've probably all been infected because they once ate a piece of undercooked meat or pulled some weeds without wearing gloves. News story like this are just fear mongering. It's not that the parasite can't be dangerous or that precaustions shouldn't be taken...but the whole phrasing comes across like you WILL go crazy if you touch a kitty, which just isn't the case.
Thanks for sharing, Parallel. I had the same impression regarding the fear mongering. I've grown up with cats and haven't heard anything like this until recently.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats