Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2012, 07:41 PM

4,001 posts, read 6,272,296 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by leanansidhex View Post
Moths.

As soon as I turn on the porch light at night Meeko sits by the door until I open it a little and let some moths in.

Then he and Alfredo, actually play/chase moths side by side without a problem ... until one of them catches a moth ... then the mothless cat will try to steal it. There haven't been any major altercations when they play with the moths, those seem to come out of the blue ... unprovoked.

Meeko has been on amitriptyline (for cat to cat aggression) for about a month and a half and I'm noticing recent changes, for the better, in his behavior. I tried everything else I was aware of first, Prozac made him deathly ill, acupuncture put him to sleep, but didn't stop him from hunting Alfredo.
Thundershirt, he managed to get out of it in under 30 seconds while I was in another room answering my phone. Houdini would be impressed.
Vetionix product for fear-based aggression, may have helped Alfredo relax some, but didn't lessen Meekos desire to kill Alfredo.

There has been enough recent developments in Meekos situation that I will start a thread on it soon, meanwhile, the moths have been a blessing.

We thank the moths every night, as they lay so costly a sacrifice on the altar of my cats boredom.
LOL@ moth sacrifice.

One of my kittehs has developed a severe personality disorder, almost over night.

She has gone skittish and hisses and meows at everything....I have no clue what's got into her.

I thought about kitty valium but its sooo expensive so I googled.

Apparently "rescue remedy" is very effective on cats...much cheaper too.

I'm going to try it...if I ever catch her that is.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2012, 07:49 PM

2,087 posts, read 4,285,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greg42 View Post
I see it is sold on Petco.com but I don't know if they carry it in the store. I believe I got mine at an independent store here.
The Petco in my area sells Da Bird right next to their store brands cheaper knock off.

I bought the real one, because it pissed me off that Petco was underselling the original.

Old 07-12-2012, 07:53 PM

2,087 posts, read 4,285,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MsAnnThrope View Post
Apparently "rescue remedy" is very effective on cats...much cheaper too.

I'm going to try it...if I ever catch her that is.
Rescue Remedy, tried it ... useless ... at least on Meeko.

Feliway, tried it for 9 months ... useless ... at least on Meeko.

Old 07-13-2012, 08:05 AM

7,201 posts, read 14,991,242 times
All three of ours love the laser light. None of them care much for the usual cat toys anymore. None reacts to cat nip. A 18" piece of that green garden tie-wire still gets their attention and two will still play with it. And of course when moths or some other insect or bug gets in the house they all go crazy until one of them gets it. All have learned to leave wasps alone. I miss playing with them with the interactive toys but they're just not interested anymore.

Old 07-13-2012, 08:37 AM

1,748 posts, read 2,083,489 times
Favorite would have the be the larger plastic springs. We seem to have to buy them by the gross as they can get lost in the weirdest places. When we went on vacation last year and my neighbor was watching out baby, he even joked that she must be eating them, because he has to give her a new one to play with everyday. They wind up under the couch, under the oven (that's the worst), under the fridge, under everything. Then she'll sit there waiting for it to come back out to her.

Second favorite toy would be DA BIRD. She will literally cry by the bookshelf that it's stored on for us to play it with her. She could play with that thing for hours on end, which she normally does.

Third favorite would be cardboard boxes and paper shopping bags. This is a spoiled cat that has an entire bedroom for herself and her toys and has toys switched out regularly. However, she needs 2 cardboard boxes and a bag from DSW on the floor in the living room to play in.

Old 07-13-2012, 08:40 PM

2,401 posts, read 4,683,928 times
Pelt of an old mink (real fur) with fake bead eyes.... always her fav.

My kitty is too smart for the laser toy... she'll chase it for a couple times every few months, then loses her interest very quickly.

Old 07-13-2012, 08:54 PM

585 posts, read 2,015,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hueyeats View Post
Pelt of an old mink (real fur) with fake bead eyes.... always her fav.

My kitty is too smart for the laser toy... she'll chase it for a couple times every few months, then loses her interest very quickly.
HA. My grandmother gave me her mink stole from the 40s which I totally treasure... but I have to keep it far far away from the furkids. It's basically a couple minks stitched together with tails and feet and everything, if they had ANY idea I have it, I'm sure it would get destroyed in a matter of minutes.

Old 07-14-2012, 09:39 AM

18,431 posts, read 34,360,429 times
He likes this little grey mouse with purple ears and tail. It has a place where you can put cat nip in it. He loves the thing like it is his baby! He also likes the laser

Old 07-14-2012, 01:23 PM

9,138 posts, read 5,802,841 times
Bubble wrap.
I can't ever set any down for a second.

Old 07-14-2012, 01:43 PM

585 posts, read 2,015,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speleothem View Post
Bubble wrap.
I can't ever set any down for a second.
Hey that's MY favorite toy too
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats