Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2012, 08:58 AM

8,063 posts, read 12,774,958 times

Advertisements

I feel a little guilty about not allowing my two cats outside, they both seem to be very interested in the outdoors and one tries to get out every time I open the door. I have let them out in the past and still do occasionally when I can supervise them however there are too many risks in my area.

1) Hawks.
2) Coyotes
3) My six dogs.

I don't think my dogs would hurt their cat friends however once all six are out and the "pack" mentality kicks in there is always a risk. The coyotes come pretty close to the house and although I have an acre around the house fenced for the dogs the first thing the cat wants to do is go beyond the fence.

I am not sure if the hawks are a threat however my cats are small (rabbit sized) and since Hawks take rabbits I am sure they could take one of the cats.

I just feel a little guilty about restricting the cats. They have full run of the house and I pay attention to them. Am I depriving they by not allowing out?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2012, 10:11 AM

11,276 posts, read 19,573,066 times
No you are not depriving them. Cats can and do live long safe happy lives inside.

However, how about using a small part of the dogs' yard to install a cat safe outdoor enclosure? There are any number of designs and systems, or you can design your own.

Old 07-15-2012, 10:24 AM

7,329 posts, read 16,424,313 times
You could hang a birdfeeder outside one of your windows, too. It provides lots of entertainment, for you and the cats.

Old 07-15-2012, 10:25 AM

157 posts, read 587,418 times
cat inclosures are wonderful things, I wish I could afford one for my boys.....b/c I can't and I won't allow them to roam I use a harness and leash....Sami has been using it with great success for 7 yrs...he goes out in the yard with me for 1-2hrs every morning and same in the evening, it keeps him happy b/c he loves the outdoors. my Nemo isn't such an outdoor fan..he's a fraidy cat. he goes out and sits on the deck when Sami and I are doing our walks, he than wants back inside to his safety zone within a few minutes, so I just watch him ...no need for a harness and leash for him..

Old 07-15-2012, 10:28 AM

35,094 posts, read 51,236,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wartrace View Post
I feel a little guilty about not allowing my two cats outside, they both seem to be very interested in the outdoors and one tries to get out every time I open the door. I have let them out in the past and still do occasionally when I can supervise them however there are too many risks in my area.

1) Hawks.
2) Coyotes
3) My six dogs.

I don't think my dogs would hurt their cat friends however once all six are out and the "pack" mentality kicks in there is always a risk. The coyotes come pretty close to the house and although I have an acre around the house fenced for the dogs the first thing the cat wants to do is go beyond the fence.

I am not sure if the hawks are a threat however my cats are small (rabbit sized) and since Hawks take rabbits I am sure they could take one of the cats.

I just feel a little guilty about restricting the cats. They have full run of the house and I pay attention to them. Am I depriving they by not allowing out?

My girl is an indoor kitty and she loves it and has no desire to go outside and look around. She thought she wanted to one time and got so startled when a leaf was blown on the porch by the wind she ran and hid under the couch. I don't feel she is being held captive at all.

Old 07-15-2012, 10:41 AM

7,329 posts, read 16,424,313 times
I do walk one of my cats around the yard on a tie-out, and let her stay on a tie-out when we're going to be outside on the patio with her. She also sits outside in a crate. Someday I'd like to get a bigger enclosure for her. My boys don't want to go outside.

Old 07-15-2012, 11:17 AM

970 posts, read 2,213,291 times
I don't allow either cat outside, except supervised on a harness. Both cats have had positive experiences with dogs and do not hesitate to approach much larger dogs because they believe they are friendly and that would probably turn out badly. We also live on a busy street and one of our cats will consume anything that is even slightly edible.

One of the cats has escaped on several occasions and always returns home safely; however I have no plans to voluntarily allow her outside. The other one doesn't like being outside at all.

Old 07-15-2012, 11:26 AM

7,201 posts, read 14,991,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wartrace View Post

1) Hawks.
2) Coyotes
3) My six dogs.
Same where I live. Until I got the last three cats and keep them indoors and in a safe outside enclosure they can enter and leave on their own (from a bedroom window) none lasted very long. Owls also take rabbit size cats. Don't forget raccoons. Don't feel guilty or buy into that nonsense that cats have to go out and roam around.

Quote:

Yes, hawks will take any rabbit size cat and I've had people tell me they will also take small puppies. You're not restricting your cats. You're saving their lives.

Old 07-15-2012, 11:28 AM

2,873 posts, read 5,851,244 times
Another suggestion for a cat safe enclosure or a leash. If that isn't possible, you could focus on making indoor life more exciting. Get cat trees- vertical space is very important for cats. Make them search for their food by hidding treats or kibble. Plenty of play time, of course, which toys that get them moving. Some cat grass for munchies and consider training them to do tricks to keep their minds active.

Old 07-15-2012, 11:38 AM

438 posts, read 946,976 times
I don't feel bad keeping my guy indoors. He is a terror when he gets outside as he tends to launch assaults on neighborhood cats and dogs. Last time he managed to get out he caught a possum and boy was that fun...
I tried to take him into the backyard for exercise when he was little, but he was a climber and couldn't get out of trees once he was up. After I saw him fall a few branches and dangle precariously above the ground by his front paws, I figured it was best to keep him inside.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats